1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Actress with Down Syndrome from Family Guy ep tells Palin to suck it

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Oski2005, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Family Guy Actress with Down Syndrome's Sarah Palin Smackdown Too Hot for NYT

The latest twist in the important controversy of Family Guy making fun of Trig Palin: An actress with Down syndrome said Sarah Palin "does not have a sense of humor." She was in the offending episode. Updated with more zing!

Andrea Fay Friedman played the girl with Down syndrome Chris dated in the episode. (Her IMDB says she's been on Saving Grace, Law & Order: SVU and 7th Heaven among other shows.) She was the one who said the fateful line which incurred Sarah Palin's facebook-based ire: "My dad's an accountant, and my mom's the former governor of Alaska." (Gawker.tv has got the clip.) And she has something to say to no-fun Sarah Palin, which she said in an email to the New York Times.

However! It appears the what the Times printed was just the nice portion of a much meaner email Friedman sent out to various media outlets. The blog Palingates has published the uncensored email:

I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was very funny. I think the word is "sarcasm."

In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes.

How does one say in English... "Zing?" The Times, however, stops at "my parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life." They must have done the calculations and figured that being able to interview Sarah Palin in the future was worth more than printing Friedman's awesome email in full. How mainstream media.

The best part about Friedman's full response is also the point—such as there was one—to the Family Guy gag: Palin used Trig so blatantly as a campaign tool, and positions herself so squarely as the voice of the disabled community (see: "death panels"), that of course the one person with Down syndrome to appear in the Family Guy episode would be related to her.

We can think of many, many well-meaning but possibly 'edgy' jokes to make right now. But we're watching the Olympics and don't feel like reading a bunch of pissed-off comments from people who would, like Sarah Palin, take these jokes the wrong way. So, let's just say: Excellent work, Andrea Fay Friedman. Stop being so wimpy, New York Times. And: U-S-A! U-S-A!

http://gawker.com/5475233/family-gu...ndromes-sarah-palin-smackdown-too-hot-for-nyt

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm officially to the point where I do not care about anything Palin related.

It's not even fun to laugh at her anymore.

New political punching bag, please.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This is the first I'm hearing of this and I'm already tired of it. I guess I'll award the points to Palin, cuz most DS kids don't grow up to be actresses?

4. Pop Rox

Pop Rox Member

It's really pathetic and childish the way everyone dogpiles on Palin. Regardless of whether or not you like someone to just continuously attack them over petty crap is just stupid. I don't agree with her on ALOT of things, but she is still a person and should be treated as such.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's not really childish to take her to task as a public figure, however, it is really pathetic that she is still considered a public figure. She doesn't deserve the attention she gets, be it positive, or in this case, negative.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Are you suggesting we attack wildebeests?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

Perhaps if she didn't attack everyone and everything she does, she'd stop getting attacked back by those people. This person was the target of one Palin's endless attacks - so she attacked back.

8. Pop Rox

Pop Rox Member

that made me chuckle

9. Pop Rox

Pop Rox Member

maybe i misunderstood, and if i did please correct me. but I think Family Guy made fun of Palins son, and when Palin responded this woman who was an actor on the episode attacked Palin. Like I said correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't see where Palin ever said anything about this lady.

10. Pop Rox

Pop Rox Member

you have to admit though that some of the negativity that gets thrown at her is ridiculous. For example the whole writing on the hand thing... while i will admit it's kinda amateur the way I understand it she was speaking without a teleprompter. Don't think Obama would get up and give a state of the union speech with out one. I do a considerable ammount of public speaking, and I NEVER go into it without notes that outline what I am talking about. either way what difference does it make? did she attack someone onetime about writing on hands? I'm confused.

11. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Damn man, I would **** up some wildebeests if they got in my face.

2 people like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

I didn't see it, but my understanding is that the episode was making fun of Palin - which should be expected by politicians. People make fun of Bush, Obama, Pelosi, etc - they don't all respond to all these things with attacks. If the episode was actually making fun of the kid, then of course she has a right to be angry. But most of her attacks on this subject are her saying people were mocking her kid while they were actually people mocking her. She has learned to play the victim (of everyone from the left to the main-stream media to John McCain's campaign staffers) very well.

13. Major

Major Member

Two things here:

1. In that very speech before her interview, she was attacking Obama's use of a teleprompter. It's virtually always her starting these things.

2. She didn't look at her hand during the speech - she did it while answering a question in an interview. Most (or all, except for her) politicians are capable of answering basic questions without crib notes. She wasn't using the hand for the speech. Notes for a speech are completely understandable (though these weren't even notes).

14. Pop Rox

Pop Rox Member

ahh. wasn't aware of that, I don't pay much attention to her. as far as the family guy thing goes you know that it's very 1 sided which politicians get made fun of, especially on family guy. come on man they compaired McCain and Palin to Nazis in an episode, that's going to far.. oh and I watch Family Guy alot and usually like it.

15. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I don't get it. I thought Family Guy was an animated cartoon show starring Peter Griffin, and Brian the dog.

Why would they need a r****ded chap to play a r****ded character on the show? Why can't they just use Andy Dick?

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Relax sweetie, it's only satire.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No greater sin.

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

indeed.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d9vos8qcvpY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d9vos8qcvpY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

20. Steve_Francis_rules

Yeah, comparing McCain and Palin to Nazis on a comedy program is going way too far, but calling your political opponent a terrorist at a rally is fine. :rolleyes: