1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Accept the roles already!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Koperboy, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

I'm reading a lot of CF GARM and other articles on Rockets, and one issue stands out to me. Every player on the team is basically saying:

- they need to build chemistry / gel with each other / get to know each other

No, you just need to accept your roles!

Harden: Needs to accept an occasional spot-up shooter / cutter and cut on ISOs. Not really a chemistry problem!

Dwight: Needs to accept his inability to post up and do more P&R. Not really a chemistry problem!

Asik: Needs to accept his bench role. Not a chemistry problem!

One of the finest examples they could learn from is one of their teammates (Disclaimer: I'm not a LOF!!). He was at his best with a ball in his hand -> Harden joins the team and he adjusts.
    McHale puts him on the bench and he adjusts.

Are our star players really so closed in their own superstar world that they can't see the same happened in Miami? Wade and Bosh accepted their roles and BAM, 3 Final appearances and 2 Championships followed.

A lot of that is on coach. I didn't post it in Fire mchale thread because it would get lost and I think this is the biggest problem we have now. Actually the ONLY problem.

2 people like this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just stop turning the ball over...

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

This is a very simplistic way to look at our team.

Or Im words you might understand, that Is a stupid way to look at our team.

Please stop with all the troll threads

4. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Last year we had a lot of turnovers too, but nobody made such a big problem out of it the way you are making it this year (not you specifically, but a lot of people).

If Harden would ISO less and Howard would play more P&R (and Asik would give out his heart coming off the bench), we would be winning despite the turnovers and nobody would give a damn.

5. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Roles suggest structure in the plays though and we are notorious for a free flowing (read: few plays) offense.

If the coaching staff reinforced player roles with plays allowing the player to do them, then we would see players start to gel as they understand each others roles and responsibilities.

Instead we see players like Harden, Casspi, Lin, Parsons all performing the facilitator role often on the same possession. With Dwight posting up everytime and Asik hanging back instead of setting screens

I fear it all comes back to coaches allowing players to run their own thing most of the time. Our offense is a mess because the coaches are allowing players to do too much or too little (whatever they want)

6. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

I just want to repeat your words here so I didn't delete any of your OP. Thank you!

Five star thread here.

7. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Really? When I'm reading all the comments in game threads and other GARM threads, I'm looking at "We suck because Hardnen doesn't play defense", "We suck because Dwight can't post up" and "We suck because Harden and Lin are turnover machines".

If only people would accept their roles! All the problems I listed would not exist if only everyone would play to their strenghts, but they don't.

Btw, this is not a troll thread. This is only my 2nd thread since I joined. Maybe you should spend more than 2 seconds on thinking the things through before replying with such simplistic posts. Or in words you might understand, stupid ones. Go and take your "look at stupid non-native english speakers" attitude with you.

8. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

All I like to see in a thread is either a well thought out post discussing an issue, statistical data to answer a question.

Your thread has done neither and could of easily just of been a post in one of the numerous threads, IMO no need for a thread

9. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I don't think we're a worse defensive team than last year's Rockets. Last year though our supercharged offense won us games.

This early into the season, we're searching for offense while also struggling on defense in the endgame. I agree though, when coaches see their players struggle on offense, a few more called plays would help. Somehow this group is unsuccessful in running the same offense we ran last year.

On defense, we need to defend the PnR better. I would stick Asik in there to defend the PnR.

10. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Like I already said, I think this is our biggest problem and I didn't want it buried in a thread. I post only when I have something to say, but the posts always get buried. I wanted to make a point. If you think this thread is useless, then I'm sure nobody will reply to and it will sink in few hours.

11. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

It's easier to say than do. Houston built these monsters, on purpose or not.
    When Rockets traded for Harden they labeled him a star. Gave him a star contract and everything. His ego is at a max where if you ask him to just spot up, it must be like insulting his mom.
    Same for Dwight. He came to Houston with intentions of winning. Another pitch thrown out there was the Rockets big man who are able improve his post game. Why spend hours teaching him post moves when in the end he is only used PnRin.
    I understand what you mean, but this is something we/they Houston has done as a whole.

1 person likes this.
  12. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Casspi tries to be playmaker and take it on ISO...bad.

Lin is careless with some of his passes. He tries too hard to be unselfish. Damn it, be selfish and just take the shot if you're hot!

Asik is playing lackluster, deliberately making frowny faces on bench. Grow up and play hard, Omer: for 8 million a year you can at least smile.

Parsons shot is troubling. He started off the season poorly, had a few good games, now he's back to falling away on his shots. Needs to get that straightened out.

13. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

You could have put it in short: need new coach.

14. conquistador#11

correct. harden's turnover is higher than last year. unacceptable from the SGs. cut it down by .8

15. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Sir, Yes Sir!

16. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

We really made a mistake by keeping Asik,but it's a good thing that Atlanta struggles lately,so we can moved Asik straight for Millsap

17. psingh34

psingh34 Member

thats bc if we were 5-4 to start the season we woudl ahve been happy .. this season is different

18. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Absolutely correct.

19. 3rdCoastNate

3rdCoastNate Member

In Lebron's first season with the Heat, they got off to a 9–8 start...

20. bmd

bmd Member

Don't listen to Voice of Aus... he's an idiot.