1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks' next contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H-TownBBall, Jan 21, 2011.

?

Value of AB's next contract per year

1. $3M/year

12.8%
  2. $4M/year

8.4%
  3. $5M/year

12.8%
  4. $6M/year

19.9%
  5. $7M/year

11.5%
  6. $8M/year

23.9%
  7. $9M/year

7.5%
  8. $10M/year

0.9%
  9. $11M/year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. $12M/year

2.2%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I voted 9 million, but I would vote you for more than that...because clearly you know the gamen't.

DD

2. mazinger

mazinger Member

9 million? really? A point guard that needs to play alongside another point guard to excel is not worth it. Nor is it someone that should be coming off the bench to play at the last 2 minutes of the game. We don't need Brooks alongside a superstar but we do need Martin.

3. DaDakota

Martin makes more than that...as an FYI....

DD

4. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Martin has been fat better player than AB. If Martin is 10 million guy, and Scola 7 million guy... Lowry, 6... I can't see Brooks getting more than 5 the way he has played so far this season.

These 3 have played better than him for sure.

If I was to decide his salary based on talent, then it would be somewhere like 8... but performance matters more... and he is on pace to get 5 or even less than that.

5. DaDakota

Here is the thing folks, the Rox won't get to set his contract, the market will and some team will give him a big deal, like Lowry got a big one from Cleveland, and the Rox will have to match.

That is part of the downside of letting the market set the price.

And the GMs around the league know his value.....and are a lot more patient than most here.

DD

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I don't care as long as we don't pay him more than 5-6. Let some other team overpay for his services if they want. Shannon Brown is making like 2-3? Look at that chucker from the Blazers. AB can be replaced.

7. DaDakota

LOL - you can't let one of your best players walk for free....that is not very good management and it is how GMs get fired.

Come on Sammy, you are better than that.....Morey will pay him what the market bares...

DD

8. sammy

This we can agree on. We cant lose him for nothing. Ive felt since summer that he would be traded at deadline time but no way DM matches anything over 7 if thats what he's offered. He only gets that type of money if he really gets back to old form. I would love that but he just isn't playing with any passion. Like he knows he'll get traded soon.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

\Well the rumour is Sacramento desire their own version of the Francis/Mobley offense, where you run a back court of 2 iso players that have no idea how to get the other involved, good times.

10. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Signing albatross contracts can also get a GM fired...

There's also the possibility of working a s&t if we the market value proves to be too much for us.

11. DaDakota

How did that work out for Landry and Lowry?

Usually ****TY teams offer big contracts and they have nothing of value to S&T for.....

DD

12. raleigh

raleigh Member

Ignoring the impending destruction of all we love and hate about the CBA, Lou and Mo Williams are probably the low and high ends, respectively, for Brooks. At least, those *should* be the bookends of negotiations.

Mo got ~$8.5M per season, while Lou got ~$5M per season. It's hard to know what a desperate team like the Kings will offer. I agree with the opinion that it's best to trade him now if you think he's nearing his peak as a PG.

1 person likes this.
  13. sammy

Good point. I'll take a good player on a rookie contract and a TE which we'll probably let expire :eek:

14. Hball

Hball Member

lol...

15. saintja2

Well, I'm not saying we necessarily could get best value back (maybe a pick or two or a role player) but if faced with matching a 4-year deal for 50M+ or s&t for say Thompson or Casspi, I would bet Morey would think long and hard what he does.

As for Landry and Lowry, I don't quite understand. I think their contracts are about right for their abilities so of course we matched. Lowry is actually making less than the full MLE amount so I don't see that as a big contract, eventhough it seemed a bit on the pricey side at first.

16. DaDakota

I don't blame any player for getting what they can, but it only takes one team willing to overpay to screw up the "No extensions" policy.

I think Morey has won on Landry, lost a little on Lowry, and Scola and will lose on Brooks too.

DD

17. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

it is so freaking obvious that aaron brooks is not happy hear any more. look at all his facial expessions on the bench in that grizzlies game. :mad:

18. DaDakota

Mabye because he had helped the team to a 4 point lead and was taken out with 3 minutes to go and got to watch the starters blow it.

DD

19. saintja2

He helped the team to a 4 point lead after being largely responsible for losing the lead in the first place...

But otherwise I agree, pretty weird substitutions at the end imo.

20. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

I dont get it, how is lowry overpaid? He scores, defends rebounds has suddenly learnt how to shoot and puts up great assist numbers. He is a above average starting point with the potential(only 24 years old) to become a good one. 4.5 million per is great value for kyle.