1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Year Into #MeToo, Public Worried About False Allegations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Oct 12, 2018.

?

Do you support the fundamental ideas of due process, equal protection and innocent until proven guil

Poll closed Oct 12, 2019.
  1. Yes, regardless of gender, political affiliation, or "race"

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. No, women should be believed over men, Democrats over Republicans, and "People of color" over "White

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. John Oliver

John Oliver Member

2028 TED talk
    "we looked at the data and we what we found surprised us..."

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because statistics are more reliable than anecdotal stories. Do you think there are is a statistically significant group of 9-year-old black children accused of sexual assault by grown white women? Should we enact federal laws to stop this outbreak? Hell, this probably happens even less than voter fraud.

3. malakas

malakas Member

No. It is a million cases.
    Just they are't reported. Exactly because of threads like this when a woman has to go through hell to even be taken seriously.
    I will be shocked if there is a single woman that hasn't been a victim of sexual assaut be it verbal or physical in this world. Not one.
    Our whole society and even language reeks of blatant misogynism.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No.... not worried

5. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Again, I'm not sure how two wrongs make a right (if we accept your premise). And I'm sure my comments will be interpreted by some as misogynistic -- but that is because we as a society live in a gynocracy, and most people view things through a gynocentric lens.

Many of the Kavanaugh critics said: "Hey, if an innocent man has to suffer to end the patriarchy, then that's the price we have to pay." Aside from the horrific bias (and misandry) of such a statement, here's the irony: we live in more of a matriarchy than a patriarchy.

Saudi Arabia, may, perhaps, be a patriarchy. But if anything, we in the USA live in a matriarchy. I can provide many examples, but it's getting late.

6. malakas

malakas Member

So your solution is that women should be trained to go with the semen on their body to the police department to get tested immediately.
    It's the responsibillity of the victims and attitudes like yours are certainly encouraging them, right?
    If it has been too long, even a week or so, then too bad.

7. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yes, they should go as quickly as possible. Yes, it might be "scary" to do so, but the system is set up to help women; and moreover, do they want justice or not? And, yes, the longer one waits, the more their case erodes, for many reasons.

John Oliver likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

I am speechless.
    Great gynocracy when women are paid less than men for the same job. When their reproductive rights to abortion are not respected by laws written by MEN. When most of the super rich are men.

I am mindblown.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

....okay I'm still not seeing how any of that shows that we should uncritically "believe women" though. Bad things happen to all sorts of people, a lot of those bad things go unreported....welcome to life.

Since you've now joined the rest of us in life, you should know that uncritically believing ANYONE is foolish. There is NO ONE that is to be fully believed uncritically. I also think it's hilarious that you believe there to be such a thing as "sexual assault" that is verbal.

BruceAndre and John Oliver like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Are women paid less than men for the same job working the same hours? I'm pretty sure that's not a thing, rather you heard somewhere about a "wage gap" and didn't look into what they were actually saying and are now here doing your best to parrot that BS.

BruceAndre and John Oliver like this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah "scary". Just this one little word that you put in " , shows the complete misogynism, lack of understanding and lack of any empathy to the reality of the victims.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Absolutely yes they are paid less for the same job.
    I am not american so I don't know over there exactly,but in europe yes.

13. John Oliver

John Oliver Member

Not to mention there's you know, a rapist still at large potentially going around raping more people.

BruceAndre likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, not true there either. You are from Greece and they have had equal pay for equal work laws on the books since the 70's. The gender pay gap is a myth caused by really dishonest statistical work where they merely take the amount made by women and compared it directly to the amount made by men without factoring in difference of job or difference of hours worked. In short, it's bullshit.

BruceAndre likes this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

When I say to your face "you are stupid and poor because you are a *****" I would like to believe that to most ppl I would be classified as a racist that is verbally assaulting you.

Too funny that when you whistle on the road get infront of me and close my way and call me names that is quite different though right? Smth normal that is supposed to be accepted.
    Too funny that when you say " he's a coward acting like a woman" I'm supposed to find it normal right?
    And so on and so on so many examples that are innumerable.
    Sorry but that is a form of sexual assault.

16. malakas

malakas Member

I don't care what the law says it is the reality in everyday life. What you want real life examples? Like my friend who works at an IT office takes 100 euros less for the same hours as the male worker? Like my sister who works at an accounting department is paid less for same hours?
    And so on and so on. Laws mean nothing infront of reality.

17. malakas

malakas Member

Yet again..let's take sexual assault in everyday llife as just a pain someone has to live with. Be a pragmatist this is reality right?:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I didn't say that anyone should be imprisoned after an accusation. They should go through a trial like every citizen.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You would certainly be classified as a racist.....and most likely you would be assaulted for saying things like that, but words are not assault even if they are mean words.

No, it's not. Those are dickish things that you absolutely don't have to accept, but they are not assault. You could say sexual harassment, just not assault.

I don't doubt that you could come up with an anecdote, but that's not really proof. Also, when you are in a situation where salary is negotiated, and one person accepts the position for less money than another person would have, it's not sexism.

I can only tell you that it's literally illegal to pay someone less money for the same job based on their sex. Is it possible that some people break the law? I guess, but most people don't because the punishment for it if you get caught is severe.....and employees love ****ing over their former employers so it's very likely to be reported.

BruceAndre likes this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

Oh ? Ok fine wrong word I chose excuse my english. =) Harassment. There is no woman who hasn't gone through sexual harassment.

You can tell me what the law says but this and that count for nothing. Not to mention the countless women who have been fired because they got pregnant, or have been overlooked for promotions or hiring.
    I know what I see in real life and not what the law is supposed to be. Equal pay is a myth. At least here I am not qualified to know the reality of the usa.

Here's a nice example that is quite recent :
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-45043818

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not something that you just have to live with necessarily, but especially if your bar for "sexual assault" is so low that a cat call would count, it's not the end of the world. I'd certainly be concerned with real assaults, sexual or otherwise, more than that and even legitimate assault and robbery is something that happens to all kinds of people and often goes unreported....and those things are also usually not the end of the world.

I guess I'm saying that being potentially targeted by shitty people isn't something unique to females. It's just something that will happen to just about anyone when you are an apex predator species living among millions of other apex predators when there are factors like scarcity thrown in the mix.

Think of what I'm saying this way, how many people on this planet do you think have never been assaulted before? How many people do you think have never been robbed before? Those are all pretty awful things, but in most cases, life goes on.

BruceAndre likes this.