1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A suggestion on the BBS trafic

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by ChenZhen, Nov 22, 2002.

Tags:
  1. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Clutch,

You probably discussed this already, but how about limiting the number online users at one time so it won't crash the server after the games? Either through IIS or scripting, you should set a cap on the number of users allowed at one time...While I'm at it how about another suggestion, a search box on the left frame would be cool :)

I've been browsing through the rest of the cc.net website and everything is dynamic...holy cow it must have taken you a LONG, LONG time to enter in data and code....thats some major dedication man...

Just curious, how do you get the updated stats and standings? Its like pretty much instant after the game...are you connected to a web service? It can't be connected to your local database because the stats were updated live (I noticed after the game yesterday), unless you manually entered in the stats and standings yourself... How about the history sections? Its crazy if you inputted all of that data yourself....

Have you been playing with Cold fusion MX?

#1 ChenZhen, Nov 22, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2002
  2. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

ChenZen,

I have no idea how Clutch does it, but the simple box scores that appear on my site are automated. I use a script to mine the scores from news websites that update pretty much instantly. I have a database of games, and the script starts checking for a final box score every 15 minutes after the game tips off.

Once I've pulled in the final boxscore, I parse it, and insert it into a local db for my website. It wouldn't be hard to extend that process to grabbing standings, results for every NBA game, and so on.

I'm fascinated to hear how Clutch goes about his site though.