1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Soldier Speaks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

This is a valid take if it's real. I'd prefer if the soldier's name was known; "anonymous" letters always smack of spam e-mail circulars. I also wish he'd included some specifics about his work in Iraq.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen anything that shows it to be fake. It certainly has that feel to it, and it is from anonymous.

But if it is real then the soldier's input should be heard. I just wish there was someway to ascertain the validity of the actual letter.

Calling Murtha a coward was horrendous. Murtha was Marine who served in Viet Nam.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

basso, without a name, it's meaningless. It could be the product of a scrivener in the West Wing. How would we know?

Having said that, and although I disagree with much of what was in it, there is no limit to the writing abilities of someone in the military, no more than a school teacher, a police officer, a college student, an electrician, or an anonymous person writing from their study on a Rockets BBS. They are all capable. It only requires the talent and motivation.

Keep D&D Civil.

4. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

I have a stupid question.

How many people are in a platoon? Am I reading this letter correctly or is it purporting to speak for the entire platoon?

If it is, then it is not exactly anonymous. It is like if the entire Clutchfans BBS wrote a letter and signed it "Clutchfans."

If it is a fake, then it is an audacious fake, for it claims to be more than just the opinion of one soldier.

5. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

I agree 100%. I'm a veteran of the 1st gulf war and any vet should be heard, I don't care what their stance.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

because you posted it, and the stuff you post for us is frequently very flawed, to put it mildly.

7. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I have friends who served in both GW I and II. Both are college educated. One was counter intelligence and the other was a machine gunner. They seem relatively indifferent to the entire situation, and both believe Iraq will quickly fall into civil war the moment the United States leaves and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

They have also mentioned that most Iraqis don't really understand what "freedom" means since their economic situations are so depressed. They don't describe the Iraqi people as terribly noble. Their primary goal is to survive, and they commonly lie and manipulate to this end... which I don't think is a bad thing given the situation. Projecting domestic sentiments of the American Revolution onto GW II are an illusion that doesn't exist.

Whether or not that letter is legit, I believe there are probably soldiers who feel that way, but I believe my friends are a lot smarter, perceptive, and trustworthy than the person who wrote that.

Sappy patriotism is a silly tactic to quell criticism anyway. It would be a different story if 90% of Americans had the same feelings toward the Iraqi people, but I would guess (and it is a guess) that most of the people who support the war harbor bad opinions of the Iraqi people. In fact I would stereotype the hard core supporters as the same people who would throw out offhand remarks like "just nuke 'em." It is the base of the Republican party that support this war the most, which are the Evangelical Christians.... the same Christians who believe everyone in Iraq is going to Hell anyway.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Hey drox, did you dig up those blog links?

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

This letter was pretty funny.

I love how he starts off "Dear Mom" and then follows-up with "My fellow Americans".

So much much for dear old mom....

12. basso

Supporting Member

your point?

13. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

That is a ridiculously stupid question.
    Cpt2slick and his blog are not reliable.

14. basso

Supporting Member

no? with the soldiers name and unit it should be relatively easy to verify, no matter where the story originated. go ahead, i'll wait.

15. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Yes, we need Mary Mapes or Jayson Blair to authenticate it.

16. droxford

droxford Member

17. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Actually, I regularly speak to both contractors and soldiers who are over there and have been over there. Different people have different perspectives, to be sure, but not one of them has come back and said anything even remotely as positive as this unsigned email does. That is what leads me to believe that it could be fake.

18. basso

Supporting Member

it's been signed, read back a few posts.

19. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

LOL! Why read that, I am in IRAQ. I will tell you this, there are more troops that I have met that have said this is some bull$hit than anything else. Seems none of them mind fighting for their country because thats what they signed up for, however they dont believe the reason why we are here is just. We see one of those letters once a week. One for either side of the fence. I am not convinced that they are authentic from what I see "FIRST HAND" here in IRAQ. :cool: 9.5-10 soliders I meet say they are not re-enlisting. Not because they are scared or anything, most of them seem to feel like, do they dont know what needs to be accomplised before they are sent home. What I will say is, it is NOT as bad as what you see on TV. There is alot of good being done that you dont see on TV. On the flip side of that, should we really be out here doing those things in the first place? Should we really have been here in the first place? Will the country be better off for it in the long run? After Zaqarwi's death I guess only time will tell. However people conviently forget why it was we were supposed to be down here. WMD NO MORE, NO LESS. It was supposed to be here..... It was not, and who's fault is that? Should government be question? Or should they get a free ride and rewrite history as to why we are here. You be the judge.....
    P.S. Do know that with every one letter pro - their is a letter that is against. Reading what the soliders write on the walls in the urinals is very interesting, it seems like a hand written version of this BBS. :cool:

#39 u851662, Nov 21, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  20. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Wow, we have our own Clutch BBS war correspondent! I'm sure everyone on the board can agree that we appreciate your sacrifice.
    STAY SAFE!