1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Hypothetical re: Team Improvement.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jun 5, 2001.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Which player improvement gives us more wins next year?

<font size="1">OK, please keep all player roster move speculation out of this thread, since Joe Joe has that one covered, here:</font>

<FONT SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">
    <A HREF="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/013138.html">Improvement by addition or stability?</A>
    </FONT>

Many of us are in argeement regarding how our players can improve their offense:

1. Mo's aggressiveness
    2. Hakeem going injury free
    3. Francis's interior game elevates to Isiah-status
    4. Mobley's mid-range game and passing elevates to Francis's status.
    5. Walt going a season without a shooting slump (ie lights out all year).

Notice I tried to stick to improvements that are largely physical and mental, so it is feasible they could each happen.

So, let me add some commentary. One Rule though, consider these all mutually exclusive. Meaning you can only choose one, while the others remain status quo. For instance, if you think Mo' having a break out year is cool, consider it's effect when Francis remains status quo.

<OL>[*]Mo' reaches Glenn Robinson status of playmaking giving us 3 serious playmakers? Dream is limited to 40 games, and Francis and Mobley remain status quo to improving only a little, Walt has a shooting slump that benches him, again.[*]Dream plays a season w/o injury, Mo gets slightly more involved but not break-out season like, Steve/Mobley show only status quo improvement (as mentioned in #1)[*]Francis improves his interior decision-making to Isiah levels giving us the best PG in the game, the others show status quo improvement.[*]Mobley has a breakout season by improving his midrange and passing to Francis levels to go with his star-level driving abilities and makes the All-Star team, the others show status quo improvement.[*]Walt shoots 48% from the field and 42% from 3s and scores 15-17 ppg, giving us exactly what the doctor ordered from the SF position (at least offensively)[/list=a]

Since this is a hypothetical, see if you can answer the question based only on next year. For instance, no one would pick Dream and Walt's improvement based on how old they are. Look at it from the standpoint that there is a good chance Mo', Francis, and Mobley might take a few more years to reach full potential, if at all. So, without taking their longterm potential away from them, let's just talk about next year's team improvement.

Which of the 5 gives us more wins next year?

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited June 05, 2001).]

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Unfortunately #2. Too bad it's not plausible.

------------------
    You're a fine woman, why don't you mock that draft up

3. MManal

MManal Member

Its close for me between the one about Hakeem staying healthy and Francis becoming a better true point guard. Hakeem staying healthy really improves this team's rebounding and interior defense which is a major issue with this ballclub, but Francis becoming a better true point would really help in areas such as the offense running smoother and this team becoming a better fast break ballclub. Its very close, but I would pick Francis becoming a better PG.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

4. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I know I am going to get killed for this, but #5. It seems that at 1, 2, 4, and 5 we got decent and sometimes spectacular play (when Hakeem was healthy of course). The 3 is the key. A three who hits nearly half of his shots and 2 of 5 from 3 automatically makes the rest of the players on the floor better. I guess I pick it because it seems most unrealistic. All of the other choices don't seem so improbable.

------------------

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

#2 is a no brainer. When Hakeem was healthy and finally made part of the offense this team looked like they could beat anyone.

------------------

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

HELLO PEOPLE! What about CATO playing up to his potential? Or is that just asking for way too much?

Anyways I think Mobley needs to improve on his decision making for this team to take the next step. Francis is one of the best and will get better, but Mobley needs to pass better and score at a slightly higher percentage for us to get better.

------------------

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Assuming that we're not adding a single player to the roster, #2 would far and away offer the biggest improvement. This team really struggled when it didn't have a single viable post-up option. Like HEB said, though, it is probably the least likely to happen.

------------------
    Bingbong was set up, led to an untimely death in the prime of his life for no other reason than pure malice. Things like that do not go unavenged. Sometimes it spills out onto the field of play.

8. heypartner

wow, 4 of 5 selected so far!

So, before he finds this thread, anyone want to guess who is going to be the first to say #1?

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I go #2. Hakeem is good when healthy. He brings passing that makes everyone better.

#5 is tempting because it makes the least good, but 82 games of Hakeem would be so sweet.

------------------

10. OT

OT Member

Great question HeyP !!!
    Gotta go with #2. We need his defense, his steals, his blocks and his scoring. With the rules changing next year, I think he will be an asset. He has dealt with passing out of double and triple teams his whole life. The zone defense won't seem any different than what is usally thrown at him. I think he will be one of the few that isn't affected much by the zone.

------------------

11. Beto_Lluvioso

Beto_Lluvioso Member

Wow, what a stupid thread! That seems like a lot of typing to come up with such drivel.

------------------
    I hate rice and beans!

12. Toast

Toast Member

Well, all things won't necessarily stay status quo, of course, but regardless we'd be a force in the Western Conference if we had a healthy Dream for the entire season. He'd probably end up demanding double teams again, making things way too easy for Franchise & Cat.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

13. heypartner

for the record, verse cheated. I did not say CWebb. I said Glenn Robinson, as in the awesome dribbling and face-up playmaking, but little inside toughness.

I guess maybe it is Glenn w/o the 3ptr, offset by a little more underneath than Glen.

DieHard, I think Mo' rising to Glenn Robinson status is not too far-fetched as it can simply be a sign of he, SF, and CM playing overall better together and those three looking to exploit Mo's no double-teams first, and more consistency by avoiding foul trouble. Mo' often led the team in 1st Q scoring. imo, all that has to happen is he becoming consistent and more aggressive at playmaking, and Rudy will then look to adjust the team to get him off more. So, more consistency and aggressiveness could produce a system adjustment that gives him more FGA and propels him over 20 ppg.

It could happen; he can dribble and shoot for sure.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited June 05, 2001).]

14. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Okay I’ll bite too. Number One!

1. Glenn Robinson’s biggest contributing factors in the last 18 months was his ability to change his play in mid step and thus improving his passing skills and maybe more importantly, becoming a little less predictable a playmaker. If MoTay can find that extra step inside, or drive when everyone else is waiting for him to fade J, or sneak to the weakside (a la Dog) without telegraphing it … he would up his effectiveness enormously. Maybe as much as a consistent increase of 5ppg, 2 rpg and 2 apg for the entire season.

2. I think the key to Dream’s success is him accepting or being convinced he can still play a Rocket Game, but he MUST play a team game. He must regain a defiant defensive focus. It must be: ... "crash-bang" denial at the rim ... You ain’t coming in here ... this is my house ... kind of attitude. And still appreciate that this is what the team needs. That means relatively few offensive set plays will go through him, and he may have to come off the bench during some matchups. It means the bulk of the game will be on the three strongest starters. Steve, Cat and Mo. He has got to buy into that.

3. That also means a bigger role for our small forward. The threat of a multi-dimensional SF has got to be there for these new zonal changes to be taken advantage of. Walt does not have anything left if he slumps. He has become so single dimensional that by losing his shooting threat, he basically eliminates (or drastically reduces) the options that Steve, Cat and Mo have. Maybe I should be saying that if Wiznbang crashes and burns, which is likely on any given night, we need to have the feet to slip into his shoes (... I am not as down on Langhi as some are here, and I still think a draft of a lottery SF is the most important quest we have this summer.)

Conclusion: Sad to say but when you build success on team-integrated play like the flex, or the four-man ballet that ensues when we iso ... well the entire concept can be lost if one position consistently poses no threat. That is one of the two main things that killed us last season. No SF threat. IMHO, it cost us more games than having a limited inside presence.

------------------

15. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

heypartner,
    I know this doesn't play the game, but clearly Sf, CM & MT will get better next year. The question is will MT remain to continue that growth.

Olajuwan going back to prime status would clearly elvate this team to championship caliber. This, however is a Dream past (pun intended).

Forget Williams....period!

out.....

ROCKET!!!

------------------

16. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

In my opinion,# 2 is no contest. None of the other options help defensively. Having one of the 50 best players of all time for a full season has to outweigh others of itself. Hakeem provides blocks and steals and alters the game defensively.

Offensively he is hands down the best Rocks post player, which also alters the game by taking some of the pressure off the guards.

Motay was significantly contributing the last part of the season.

Walt will still be bad defensively, even if he doesn't have an extended shooting slump. I don't think Isiah, without a post presence and interior defense, makes much difference.

------------------

17. Band Geek Mobster

Mo Taylor is they key to this team being successful. If he could produce like Glen Robinson then it wouldn't be that hard to find pieces to insert around the big 3. Short term and Long term, Mo Taylor becoming a scoring threat and improving his aggression on defense and on rebounding will help this team a lot more than having a 38-39 year old center playing 82 games.

Order of Importance

Taylor improving
    Cuttino passing
    Francis becoming Isiah Thomas
    Dream staying healthy
    Walt avoiding the slump

Hakeem's the past, if we need to rely on him helping this team win now then we're in trouble. Mo Taylor has the brightest future on this team after Cat and Francis.

(See, Mo Taylor has some believers outside of The Cat)

[​IMG]

------------------

18. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

I would have to go with #1. Mo Taylor's jumper will be even more valuable against the zone. In fact I wouldn't mind seeing him trading a couple pounds for more foot speed. Let's face it it's doubtful he'll ever be a good rebounder but at least he can be more active.

------------------

19. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Gotta go with Mo improving as well. If he could elevate his game to Glenn Robinson like production, then the reliance of offense from the role players is diminished. The Rockets would only need consistent offensive output from 2 role players if this were to happen IMO. Also, the Rockets would have a playmaker that would cost roughly half of what Webber would which would allow us to resign Olajuwon and Moochie with less difficulty.

Walt is useless. He hurts this team more than he helps it. Like Oeilpere said, the quest for a lottery small forward should be the main priority. The Rockets have to try and move up to get Rodney White or Joe Johnson. I would love to see either of them running the break with Francis and Cat, and their length and playmaking ability suit this team perfectly. Terrence Morris would be a nice consolation prize if the Rockets fail to move up in the draft.

Order of Importance

• Mo improving his game
    • Dream being healthy for an entire season (To be a championship caliber team you must have interior defense)
    • Francis improving to Isiah like interior passing
    • Walt being a consistent offensive threat, and providing the production we need from the small forward spot.(This is not likely)
    • Cuttino improving his midrange game/passing. IMO, Cuttino already has one of the better midrange games in the league. He needs to work on his face up jumper that he used more often during his 2nd season because that sets up his driving game. If he doesn't hit that shot consistently, then the defense won't respect him ,and will play off of him, which will hinder his driving ability. Also, his passing out of double teams is fine. We don't need our shooting guard to increase his assists numbers. If anybody needs to improve their passing game it's Mo.

------------------

20. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, but did you guys see Glen Robinson become a rebounding BEAST in the eastern conference finals? I saw some rebounds where Big Dogg would be battling underneath the likes of Tyrone Hill & Mt. Mutombo (at the same time, mind you), and he'd somehow end up jumping higher than their reach and coming down with the board. If Mo could improve to that caliber, then I'm going with #1. But I don't see that happening in the span of 1 offseason, so I'm still going with option #2 ... although that doesn't mean I'm not a Mo Taylor fan! I kinda hope we try our hardest to keep him.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club