1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Concise History of Black-White Relations In The USA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Icehouse, Dec 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Very concise
    Very accurate

Rocket River

4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly right.

5. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

I guess everyone is afraid of this thread, and I won't be pulled into a debate about it.

I think it is very inaccurate. Rich white men that exploited slaves were a very small percentage of the white population. The cartoon represents the white guy as representing the entire white population. Horse****. My family didn't exploit slaves and I don't know of anyone else who's family prospered because of slaves. There obviously were SOME whites that had slaves, but to say represents all whites is totally false.

The cartoon is supposed to represent me and all the white people I know. It doesn't.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Moe, just couldn't lay off the high heat, could you?

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

So Moe, I'm guessing you weren't around in 1963.

Trust me, every white family that has been in this country more than one generation has benefitted from the exploitation of blacks. Maybe you didn't have plantation money handed down to you but the general populace received cheaper food, clothing, construction costs, and taxes because blacks were underpaid and didn't receive their fare share of education dollars.
    The exploitation was systematic, pervasive, and sanctioned.

That's what the cartoon attempts to illumninate. It's just a reminder not a personal indictment.

8. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whites derived an economic benefit from slavery, whether or not they directly owned slaves. Just one example- the cost of cotton clothes or fabric would have been higher if the cotton was picked by paid labor.

And whites as whole had a position of economic and social privilege over blacks during and after slavery.

Abolition improved the situation, but did not level the playing field.

The civil rights movement improved the situation, but did not level the playing field.

Many whites label efforts to level the playing field as "reverse discrimination."

This cartoon effectively portrays that reality.

9. Steve_Francis_rules

What about white families that still don't have crap? Have they really benefitted from the exploitation of blacks? That's how my family was until my mother joined the military and turned her fortunes around and I don't think she had to exploit any minorities in doing so.

10. Major

Major Member

Did your parents or grandparents eat? If so, then yes they benefited from the exploitation of blacks, because they got cheaper food as a result of it.

11. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

I was around in 1963 and I always had trouble laying off of high heat.

Your economic generalizations are way too fuzzy. What was the percentage of black work force production in 1963 versus the production of the whole U.S. It would have to be a very significant percentage to be considered exploitation by the entire population. If you want to accuse me and my family of exploiting blacks, show me some real statistics, not some lame price of cotton crap.

I'm not saying the playing field was level and is level now. The cartoon is aboout exploitation for financial gain. My family on both sides barely made it through the Depression by growing their own food and working other people's fields. They mainly got one new change of clothes a year at Christmas, so I don't think they were exploiting cheap cotton prices. Times have been tough for everybody during the last century, except the rich.

I'll never feel guilty for the slave situation, because I didn't do it. I think the people who were responsible for the slave economy were disgusting, greedy people, but it wasn't me, nor my family, nor anyone I know of. Yet, that cartoon implies that it was.

12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

This just might be the biggest crock of horse**** I've ever read on this board. My white grandparents, like most Americans (regardless of race--http://www.migrationinformation.org/GlobalData/charts/final.immigbyyear.shtml) came to this country after slavery was technically abolished. They were sharecroppers--basically slaves by a different name. Free in name only. They didn't get ahead because someone was a slave before their arrival. They didn't get ahead at all; they survived. Their offspring got ahead because they worked their ****ing asses off, and because the male offspring became US soldiers to fight in the two world wars. Those that lived through the wars and worked hard afterwards were able to send some of their kids to cheap state universities, and those kids generally were able to eke out a decent living through more long hours of hard work. Slavery was a HORRIBLE, HORRBILE institution, but don't ****ING tell me I owe anybody anything just because my skin is white, and don't ****ING tell me how great my grandparents had it because of black slaves because that comment is 100% dead wrong, completely offensive, and most of all--STUPID!

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You guys are personalizing the point.

The generalized 'white society' of the United States has exploited the generalized 'black society' throughout our history. Point, end point.
    Absorb it, considerate it and add it to your personal perspective.

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Moe, Pole:

The cartoon wasn't meant as a personal indictment to anyone. It just meant that this country (or white America) benefitted greatly economically from the horrible institution of slavery. Even if your family didn't own slaves, there's no doubting that slavery was integral to the south's economy.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

exactly. and I guess some of these guys never heard of segregation either.

16. Major

Major Member

Blah blah blah. Everyone in this country - whether they showed up 200 years ago or today - benefitted from US slavery. Our entire economy was built on it. The US would not be the land of opportunity it is today without the first 100 years of our society having benefitted from free labor. The US might not even exist at this point, for that matter. You may not like it, but its true. You can yell and scream and look at a tiny piece of the picture and use a bunch of cuss words all you want - it doesn't change the facts.

17. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Why would anyone take this personally?

There are some amazing white people out there, always have been, but this cartoon represents the feelings of a high percentage of black people.

If you are white and don't get it, kudos to you but don't be blinded by self-righteousness.

18. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

I'll use the Asian example again. No doubt the civil rights movement laid the ground work, but how did boat people come over here and put their kids through college and join the ranks of the middle class?

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I didn't even think this was discussion worthy until someone went out of their way to personalize the cartoon's message to every white American and their ancestors (at least the ones that ate, anyway). And please don't muddle my message: there was never any question that my ancestors didn't own slaves; they were essentially slaves themselves as sharecroppers. They migrated to the US, like MOST American ancesters AFTER slavery was abolished.

Be careful when you try to generalize these messages to white and black only. The vast majority of Americans never had US slave owners in their family history. Most of them didn't even have American ancesters when slavery was legal in the US. They hadn't immigrated yet. Many African Americans don't even have slaves in their ancestery, though I think it is more than safe to say they all have all been subject to discrimination at one time or another. When you generalize the message to say that all whites benefited (and yes, that was the message I got from the cartoon and in which Major went to great lengths to reinforce), you risk alienating your intended target audience. This (the inherent faults in the message) shouldn't even have to be discussed; this should be common sense. In fact, it is so blatently overlooked so often, and I find it so patently offensive, that I start assuming it is being done on purpose. Why, oh why would you do something like this on purpose? Why would people do something in the guise of alleviating racism that--at least to me--seems purely destined to perpetuate it. These are the thoughts that go through my head, and I'm guessing I'm not alone.

If indeed, it is your desire to perpetuate racism, then by all means--carry on. If however, you'd truly like to bring people together and make things better for African Americans, you might consider a different strategy than one that attacks all people with white skin. As one white American, I will fight back.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

exactly, they came here of their own free will. its not a comparison. how about the African Immigrants who come here and put their kids through college?

look, I don't want to argue about this cartoon, because its a cartoon, but I think the point most people are missing is black americans have been held back by the policies of the past. and now people expect blacks, after really only 40 years of civil rights to be on par with everyone else. and that my friend is ridiculous no matter what your situation.