1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A. Carters agent picks up the tab

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DFW_Rockets_Fan, Aug 4, 2003.

1. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

2. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I don't know about insurance but it's the right thing to do. If the agent doesn't cover it, no other athlete would want him to represent them.

3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

the question is whether the miami heat are "compensating" the agent in any way? after all, the real beneficiary is the Heat and their ability to go after Odom.

Most companies have E&O policies that cover negligence, which appears to be the case here.

4. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

This smells to hi heaven.
    I hope the league is investigating this.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The agent was going to pay either way. He could pay willingly now, or get sued and pay the same money later, with legal fees tacked on.

6. SLA

SLA Member

Does he have a new agent?

7. micah1j

micah1j Member

Yes they would. It's called E&O - Errors and Omissions insurance. Anyone who deals in contracts as an agent or broker would have this to protect themselves incase they screwed up the contract.

8. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Who cares?

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone who doesn't think teams should be allowed to cheat to get more cap space.

10. AGBee

AGBee Member

Why oh why doesn't Moochie's contract have this "escape clause" that we could have exercised under the table?

11. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

I don't think with 7 players under contract the Heat would need to scratch out another 3mil in cap space. Odom is the only major free agent left and they have enough room to sign him to the max and go after a veteran.

12. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

The league approved the contract as is in the first place. What is there to investigate?

13. Rocketman15

Rocketman15 Member

The agent did this only to save face with all of his other clients otherwise he would never pay him all of the difference

14. ragingFire

15. ragingFire

It is hard to imagine professionals like Duffy and his people would overlook a $4.1 mil contract!

It also smells because Carter did not seem to mind so much when the story broke that his contract was dropped. It was like he has kwown all along that he would get his money.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe his agent was on the ball about mending fences as soon as he realized he screwed up. Perhaps he called Carter up immediately and he told him he'd pay the difference. I don't know if Carter's reaction is much to go by.

17. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Kudos to Billy Duffy. What a way to admit your wrongdoing and turn words into action. I bet he will secure even more clients with his handling of this affair. And I think it is a sure thing that whoever screwed Duffy out of several mil with this dumb oversight is in the unemployment line right now.

18. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I don't get your logic. If you only have 7 players under contract, then you have a lot more holes to fill than the average team...hence you could use the cap space much more. And as for the FAs left to sign, I think there was a lot more than Odom left over when this first went down. That was back when Kidd, O'Neal and company were still undecided.

19. vangundy

vangundy Member

Seeing how the Rockets gave Mo Taylor a "wink wink" deal, I don't think this would be the first time an NBA team has "cheated" around the cap.

20. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

There's a difference between a verbally promised "wink wink" deal and actually paying someone under the table to avoid the cap space it would take away. Whether or not Taylor was given a secret deal or not, I don't think he two situations are that similar