1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A better way to interact with refs after bad calls?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigMaloe, Dec 28, 2018.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I know it's not much, and it ultimately looks like the ref was adamant about explaining what he saw, this type of dialogue and interaction "COULD" be kind of a game changer.

As long as the refs are open and willing, and the players dont abuse the tactic, something like going over a play that happened during the break between quarters.

So like after the 1st quarter, you can catch up with a ref and be like "yo, why was this a foul when I did this and this and he did that and that?"

The ref can explain it and say what he saw while the player explains what he felt and saw.

This would, I believe, lead to a more open and honest discussion between players and refs and make a much more healthy game with less arguing and yelling at the refs.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

3. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Doesn’t seem like it made a difference with the ref.

4. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

It just has to come back to accountability.

That ref against the Celtics that called 3 techs in a minute cannot be allowed to earn a paycheck that night or officiate his next scheduled game.

Not sure how officials became an infallible entity that can't be criticized or punished.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

After the game? Sure I like it. During? Man that slows everything down so much. Look, as is we need more accountability from refs and punishment if they make these incorrect and biased calls. I think the same goes for players who make hostile acts and flop. It's hard to be in support of the refs when Draymond Green is allowed to turn the NBA into MMA and scream and shout like a child on a temper tantrum. Some players are given too much liberty, and others are not given any. More consistency would go a long way.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

What about when the ref makes the wrong call on purpose

Blurr#7, juanm34, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Right? The ol' you-fouled-him-but-he-really-hit-the-ball-out trick. That's when you gotta know to stfu.

Not a fan of the iPad. Not a fan of Griffin lol.... Would like to see less referee banter in general. And the way it's played out for the camera, just weird. Good refs will usually walk by you and discreetly say they probably missed it if you don't berate them over it. Like PJ Tucker, you're only PJ Tucker. Why is PJ Tucker so demonstrative and emotional on every call in the 2nd quarter on a Tuesday night in November? Bro chilltfo. Gordon literally screaming every time he goes to the rack. Is that getting him more calls? Doesn't seem like it. To me, like, Harden/CP/D'Antoni wanna go chat the ref up that's whatever. PJ Tucker needs to reign it in. Gordon needs to reign it in. The league just needs to institute a replay ref who can make the calls when the refs on the floor don't see it. Like out of bounds or plays that auto replay break away fouls. Don't have these schmoes walking over to watch it, have another schmoe already there, bam, done, game on.

8. BigMaloe

The whole point I made was about during breaks...

That doesnt slow the game down. There are end of quarter breaks. Timeout breaks. And TV breaks.

I clearly stated that this could be a time where you could interact with ref as long as it doesn't get abused on petty things but rather huge misses or big but incorrect calls.

This isnt a thread about how shiit the refs are. We know that. We know they need more accountability and such.

This could be a an Avenue where you could confront a ref as a player.

Similar to how challenges would work for coaches.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Forget replays

Soon players will pull out an iPad to show refs twitter

“Look ref, the twitter world is laughing at you for that call (non call).”

Easy and BigMaloe like this.
  10. BigMaloe

#Progress

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The home team can just show the twitter on the Megatron screen. It'd work better than the crowd booing.

heypartner likes this.