1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

85% want someone other than Mobley to take the final shot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 21, 2001.

1. RockenRam5

RockenRam5 Member

Yeah, Mobley always plays big when it counts most. Against NY he was having a pretty $hitty shoting night but in the last few minutes he got a few big buckets, and the same against Philly.

------------------
    "GiddyUP!!!"
    Krammer from Seinfeld

2. Hydra

Hydra Member

Toast,
    That was in Oakland.

------------------
    Don't come in Bullard's house!

3. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Wiz got my vote. [​IMG]

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams fan club. Web site coming soon

atheistalliance.org

4. The Voice of Reason

I would be verry interested to find out how simular these poll results would be to a poll of "Who is your favorite rocket?"

3 most popular rockets, 3 most popular shooters

------------------
    Hanta-Force Paintball
    www.hanta-force.com

5. verse

verse Contributing Member

haven!!!!

are you telling me you don't believe "pressure" exists. you know, "pressure", that all-important variable that causes the butt cheeks to tighten and the palms to sweat?

[This message has been edited by verse (edited February 21, 2001).]

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I personally agree with the idea of giving the ball to your best offensive player at crunch time. Is this Cuttino Mobley on our team? I dont think so. Your best offensive player down the stretch is the same as your best offensive player when the game starts. Just as many games are decided in the first few minutes than in the last (of course, we onyl remember the end though). IF Steve is our playmaker the majority of the game, he should be our playmaker at the end of the game in my opinion. He scores more points on a higher shooting percentage, has more assists, gets more rebounds (both offensively and defensively), and has a higher free-throw percentage. If Cuttino is really deserves the ball at crunch time, when the opposing defense is probably the most tough, then he should be the one with the ball the majority of the game. I mean, back in the good ole day, would you really rather have had Maxwell with the ball in crunchtime rather than Dream, just because he hit a few crazy 3 pointers to win games.

Now here, if Cuttino ends up with the ball at the end of the game, it is almost as good, though, as he scores nearly as much as Francis and does have a quicker first step. And he does have the ball in his hands a majority of the game as well.

But if I had to make a list, and check it twice, this would be the order of people I want with the ball in their hands-
    1. Francis
    2. Mobley
    3. Dream
    4. Taylor
    5. Bullard (to shoot, not create)
    6. Moochie (to create)
    7. Anderson

------------------

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Jay,

There is one thing that flustered me about your comments (and don't take this as an argument favoring francis or mobley): Defenses will do things in the final 2 minutes that they purposely did not do the entire game. The game is different in the end, no question. Scoring in the last 2 minutes is much more difficult that the first 2 minutes.

Also, the main playmaker doesn't necessarily have the ball in the end. However, scorers always do. And imo, Mobley and Francis have always shared playmaking responsibities equally--taking into consideration Mobes did not play much in the 1st Q, in the early season.

Juan,

Personally, I don't believe in just awarding someone the last shots based on some notion of ordained right. They must earn it. Mobley has earned it, imo. Francis has had his opportunities. It is not like he is being ignored by Rudy in the last 2 minutes. If you want to train Francis, train him to understand performance pays, and will be rewarded. Why should Mobley lose an earned leadership role via a Francis christening?

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited February 21, 2001).]

8. Toast

Toast Member

There is definitely a difference between the end of the game and all the rest. Towards the end, when the game's on the line, even as a fan my adreneline(sp?) is pumping, and I sometimes almost get a little nervous shake. You need someone who knows how to handle himself in that situation.

And in Mobley's defense, remember the very first game he played as a Rocket. Somehow the ball fell into his hands as the clock was expiring, and he drained the game-winner. I think that helped give him the confidence he needs to be a legit clutch player.

However, I agree that the duty shouldn't just fall on one man's shoulders. We would be so much more of a threat if the other team didn't know who was gonna get the last shot.

As much as a Mo fan I am, I dunno that I agree he could necessarily handle the ball in that situation. The refs like to call a carry on him when he dribbles more than twice. Last thing we need is a turnover at that time.

There is one thing we can all agree on, though. Thank God we don't still have Quitten. We'd either have to call his number or let him get an early shower.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

We can see how bad your home schooling is now... [​IMG]

------------------
    "Ive seen more class at a Pig Humpin Contest ." -- moestavern19 makes headlines again, and in the process leaves little doubt as to what Saturday nights in his hometown of Lompoc, California are like.

10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Dr.,

How many game winners has Walt hit? He had Seattle... and, well that's it.

How many has Francis hit? I'm not asking about performance over the last 2 minutes. I'm talking about down one... 10 seconds on the clock.

How many has he won?

------------------

11. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

The only stat that matters is Rudy (you know the person who controls the whole team) is 100% behind Cat.

------------------
    Cuttino Mobley Online

12. haven

haven Member

FrancisFan: That's completely irrelevant. Don't mark arguments based on "well, Rudy..." It doesn't make the point. Even if Rudy's right, and he very well maybe, there's going to be a *reason* he thinks that way. Why don't you try to find that, and tell us about it.

I know baseball and basketball aren't that similar, but most people have always *believed* that clutch hitters existed in baseball. People like Rob Neyer pretty much dispelled that myth by showing that statistically, there isn't really a deviation in clutch situations with supposedly clutch hitters. I'd wager the same thing is true in basketball. I *do* know that the "streak shooter" myth has been prettty well disproved. Sure, players hit some and miss some in a row, but there are very few players that really deviate that much from what you'd expect in general player patterns.

I would allow for *some* statistical deviations. After all, defensives usually do tighten up a bit, and the best players on the other team are going to be in there. However, I'd agree witih JayZ... give the ball to your best player, regardless of past "clutch performances."

------------------
    Why is it that everytime BC defeats a major conference opponent, that opponent promptly goes on a losing streak?

PS. Notre Dame sucks

[This message has been edited by haven (edited February 21, 2001).]

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

haven, go compare Hakeem's career free throw percentage in the 4th quarter to his career ft percentage overall, and tell me clutch players don't exist. Also explain to me how the Oilers and Astros traditionally had very good regular season records in the 90s, yet always fizzled in the playoffs. Shouldn't they have performed the same way they did during the regular season? In particular, go look at Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio's playoff stats.

14. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

Oh well sorry I guess he has only won 2 NBA Championships and 1 gold medal. Just curious how many have you won?

------------------
    Cuttino Mobley Online

15. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Haven, I don't know who Rob Neyer is, but I would like to see how he proved "statistically" that there aren't "clutch hitters" in baseball. Statistics can be presented or manipulated to support almost any side of an argument. There are baseball players at all levels that have a higher or lower batting average with men on base than their average in general. They have higher or lower averages when pinch hitting than their overall average.

Some people perform under pressure differently. Some do better and some do worse. You can say that's been proven statistically to be untrue as much as you want to, but you will never convince me.

------------------

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He ruled the Indiana game in the last 4 minutes. His pick n roll demolished them for two assists followed by two ft-line jumpers and a down the middle drive.

He has won more than just the NY game.

17. Horry25

Horry25 Member

Mobley is not the man..I think it should be Mo cause he can handle the ball pretty well and shoot off the dribble! Plus, most big men cant keep up with him!

------------------
    WHAT ARE YOU DOOOOOOOOO-ING!???????????????????

18. RockenRam5

RockenRam5 Member

Horry25, it is a little to early to be drunk, don't you think? [​IMG]

------------------
    "GiddyUP!!!"
    Krammer from Seinfeld

19. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Clutch, it's not really 85 percent-- Hakeem voted 26 times.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Voting for someone besides Mobley is not Mobley-bashing nor a lack of faith in Rudy's coaching, neccesarily. Obviously, Rudy has given that job to Mobley and probably because he's more likely to succeed at it than anyone else on the team. But what would be the point of doing a poll if everyone answered the way we know Rudy does?

I voted for Francis but not because I don't trust Mobley to do it. I don't get scared when he has the ball in the waning seconds. But I want Francis to have the experience of being relied on for the clutch buckets so he can be better at it. I don't think our efficiency falls much for it and it is an investment for the future. That training is worth the difference between their playmaking abilities.

I'd actually really prefer to see this duty revolve some. We have a few good offensive players and I wonder if our efficiency would go up some if the defense doesn't know who will get the ball for the last shots.

------------------
    RealGM
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary
    Gafford Art
    Artisan