1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[790am] Biggio and Astros discussing new contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Blatz, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Biggio's agent and the Astros are beginning discussions today on a contract for next season. That's all that was said.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

OK, here goes -- ready to be flamed, but...

I'm a big Bigg guy, I truly am, but...watching him in the field these days reminds me of Rick Dorn.

Bigg is ready for a new contract -- and a 120 game (tops) schedule.

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

You rather start Burke every day?

4. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

It's kind of a moot point to argue. As long as Biggio wants to play, Drayton will always have him on the team, and I, for one, think that's the way it should be. It's been brought up many times how Biggio could have left for more money in the past but stayed and has become a true Houston sports icon. Drayton will never forget that. What's funny is the fact that everyone laments how Nolan, Hakeem and Earl all ended their careers in other jerseys, but when we talk about Biggio and Bagwell, most want to just let them go elsewhere. Let's, for once, let our guys finish their careers with our team.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

As much as people lament Hakeem and Earl ending their careers somewhere else, no one thought Hakeem's contract demands were resonable and Earl had any left in the tank, so those decisions aren't looked upon with disdain as the Nolan Ryan decision. All in all, if the contract is reasonble they should keep him.

6. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I agree with what you say. I think the problem is athletes don't know when to hang 'em up anymore. It's all they know what to do. Especialy with the money they get paid nowadays compared to when they started.

Biggio has really impressed me this year. Before the season started i thought he shoud of retired. However he's still puting up above average stats and i don't think Burke will ever be half the player Biggio was. I say give him another year or two so he can reach 3000 hits.

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

If he gets a multi year deal - he better be ready for a Billy Spiers type role at some point. Burke needs his fulltime shot at 2nd base.

8. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Amen, Biggio has meant more to this franchise than any other player in Astros history. I will always remeber in 1995 when Biggio turned down big money from the (if remember correctly, the Cardinals and Rockies) to stay here. He deserves to finish his career as an Astro. He also always plays hard and has continued to defy everyone and has put up good stats.

9. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Biggio should be good for 120 games next year, and somewhere near 80 in his final year if he gets a 2 year deal. I love bidge, and unless he puts up spectacular numbers, Burke needs his shot at 2b.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Burke needs his shot at 2b.

Burke is getting his shot at playing everyday now.

As long as Big puts up solid numbers with his bat, he stays and plays.

11. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

It's not like Burke has butchered his shot at playing LF. He's been a lot better out there than I thought he would be. I think Burke's problem has been batting so low in the order. I'd rather have Burke in LF, than to move Biggio back out there. And, let's not forget that Biggio has switched positions to accomodate Kent and Beltran, so he should man second for as long as he wants. People will always give Drayton crap about stuff, but he knows how much the fans will turn on him if he lets Biggio go to another team or force him into part-time status or retirement before he wants to. And, what will magnify this situation is the fact that we don't know for sure if Bagwell will come back. And if he does, will he have anything left? Burke has his whole career ahead of him, and he will get his chance. And as much is Biggio is respected in the club house, I guarantee Burke wouldn't complain if he stays in LF for a couple of more years.

12. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

If he was hitting like Ausmus, I would still want him. To me he is Mr. Astro, let him retire an Astro.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have been a big Biggio critic, but since he got rid of the leg kick, he doesn't strike out on the outside slider as much, and he is still hitting .275-.280....

I want him to get that 3,000 hit in Houston....keep him.

DD

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How about we stop predicting his demise until he gives us a good reason to predict it? Instead of complaining, how about enjoy watching a sure-fire Hall of Famer producing at this stage in his career? A career that's seen him stay in one city.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is where I am right now.

16. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Well said

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree w/ T_in_Charlotte as Bidge and for that matter, Bags will retire Astros, period...

18. padgett316

padgett316 Contributing Member

Biggio has gone .243/.316/.390 since the All-Star Break and has a road OPS of .641 for the season. If it was not for the Crawford Boxes, Biggio's numbers would be even worse. That's Everett/Ausmus territory...without their gloves.

Burke's virtually guaranteed to be a better defensive second baseman than Biggio and has posted much better offensive numbers as of late (.784 OPS post-ASB, .851 OPS in August). I'm not sure what else you need to see to know that Burke belongs in the starting lineup with Biggio serving a "Viz" role in 2006 (actually starting now, in my opinion).

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you're right. we should remove the guy hitting .274 with 17 HR's, .340 OBP and 50 RBI's and 75 Runs scored to bring in the guy hitting .238 with 3 HR's, 22 RBI's, an OBP of .304 and 40 runs scored.

And we should make haste in doing so. Because we're chasing down the wild card with a 1/2 game lead. yes...let's make that change immediately.

By the way..the whole "if there were no Crawford Boxes" is the silliest thing I've ever heard. THERE ARE CRAWFORD BOXES AND WE PLAY HALF OUR GAMES THERE!!! THEY'RE THERE!! He better use them. All our players should be using them. Just as Pesky used Fenway and Munson used Yankee Stadium...these guys ought to be doing everything they can to use those advantages.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's 40 years old. We should be thinking about who will replace him eventually. We can enjoy him and think about who is going to be our 2nd baseman of the future at the same time.