1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

610am: Jose De Jesus Ortiz Rant

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, Sep 7, 2004.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Im hoping some of you can clarify some of the things he said this morning. It seemed to be a rant against Biggio.

1) He said the clubhouse was clearly Bagwell's and not Biggio's. That Biggio is more "just one of the guys". He also said that Ausmus has much more pull in the clubhouse than Biggio. Also seemed to insinuate that Bidge has never been or wanted to be a clubhouse leader and just wanted "to play ball" and be by himself????

2) He said that Biggio requested a move to the outfield before the Kent trade and therefore, Biggio shouldn't have been upset like he was after Kent.

3) He said that Biggio's #s this year are inflated because of his Crawford Box HRs. He said that they were "14, which would normally be 14 outs". (I know this isn't true, since a) Bidge has only hit 10 HRs at home this year and b) I distinctly remember one or two of those being shots over the visitor's bullpen/Conoco pump"

4) He addressed the issue re: "Craig acheiving 3,000 hits with another team" and the backlash that would result, like Nolan Ryan. He said Craig was not a Houston icon like Nolan was and .............(didn't catch the rest)

Anyway, I was distracted so only caught these bits and pieces. Hoping someone will clarify this. If not, JDJO seems to have an axe to grind with Bidge (a la Justice/Jeff Kent).

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that was exactly my thought, too, codell.

maybe these opinions would be more relevant or easier to cling to if the guys, biggio included, weren't playing so well right now.

but it seemed like the ortiz was back in a time warp making going on this rant the day after the astros win their 10th straight.

as for the biggio asking to be moved to the OF thing....uh...what? did you hear granato say, "well...i can tell you this much..he wasn't real happy with the move during spring training the year they acquired kent." it seemed like granato was telling ortiz that he was wrong on the facts.

what's up with the chronicle? are they making a concerted effort to be more controversial? justice looks like a flipping, flaring idiot right now for all of his comments...to his credit, he's admitted he was wrong in an editorial that ran this weekend. but this smells more like the boston media...even when things are going very well, we still look for some negative aspect, even if it's based on half truths.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He said the fans wouldn't care. John said something like "well, Biggio is Mr Astro like Ernie Banks is Mr Cub" and Ortiz cut him off and said Biggio is no Ernie Banks. He totally missed John's point.

I get really tired of these Chronicle sports writers like Justice, Ortiz, and McClain acting as if their silly little articles and opinions are the law. They let their personal feelings get in the way of their journalistic integrity. Kind of like a high school paper. See McClain with Brian Billick, Justice with Kent, and now Ortiz with Biggio. They come off sounding like frustrated athletes who are mad that no one really cares what they have to say.

Sometimes I get the feeling they're trying to create controversy where there is none because the Chronicle's readership is down.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't want him going for 3000 hits in an Astros uniform.

His defense is below par and we need someone at the top of the lineup who has more speed.

Biggio played well, but IMHO his every day playing days are behind him.

I hope he goes somewhere else and gets the hits.

DD

5. MadMax

and bingo was his name-o.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Well, according to Forbes, it says he is one of the most overpaid underachieved players from 2003:

http://www.forbes.com/2003/04/24/cx_da_0424baseball.html

Here is our All-Overpaid team, made up of players who will earn at least $5 million in 2003:

The Underachievers

Jason Kendall
    J.T. Snow
    Craig Biggio
    Jeff Cirillo
    Rey Ordonez
    Moises Alou
    Darin Erstad
    Jeromy Burnitz
    Frank Thomas

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Of course, it's 2004 now. :)

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

NWO,

Kind of outdated don't you think??

9. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Ortiz just wants to take away a little of Richard Justice's spotlight. Kent's already taken, so he's gotta find another veteran to bash. He should stick to writing game recaps because thats the only thing worth while to read that comes from him.

10. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

I heard that crappy interview. The guy talks like he knows it all but then he goes off to say he wasn't even covering the Astros until a few years ago. Also he said that people will tell him he doesn't know what he is taking about because he never played pro ball and he referred to John Kruk on baseball tonight that was also bashing Biggio. What is all that about? Trying to start crap for job security? He did say that Biggio ripped him for the way he has been writing about him but would not say what he said. He is a wannabe Richard Justice. (Whom I don't care for much either.)

#10 jiggadi, Sep 7, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  11. JPM0016

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, that was odd. He kept saying "when I got to this town 3 years ago..." :confused: He wasn't even in Houston 3 years ago and all the sudden he knows everything about Biggio and the entire history of the clubhouse atmosphere?

Go away, Jose. Go back to your total anonymity and stick to the game recaps.

13. mulletman

mulletman Member

i know someone who is friends with one of the astros players. take it for what its worth (its 2nd hand information), but i basically heard the same thing about biggio from my friend....

14. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

Not that I am biased but I thought it was fantastic. He showed an honesty that is easy to do on paper (or on a bbs) on the radio, live.

15. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Biggio hit 20+ homers a couple of times in the Dome so he has some pop in his bat.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ortiz, like Lopez, is a young writer growing into his by-lines. He is certainly allowed opinions.

I am 'enjoying' watching him (and Lopez) mature. I wish it were quicker, and being done on a smaller platform.

17. MadMax

i don't begrudge him his opinions. he can have them. i think it's clear, though, that the chronicle has decided to change its tone...maybe in relation to its visual makeover?

18. JPM0016

According to 610, Ortiz and Biggio have exchanged words before and its possible personal feelings got in the way of his writing. Who knows?

19. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I miss the days when Harry Shattuck covered the Astros:(

20. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Chronicle readership should be down. They have dumbed it down to make it like a comic book. "TMI" section....come on!!!!!!