1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

52" Samsung LCD - buy extended warrenty?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pasox2, Dec 13, 2007.

Tags:
  1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey guys. I was looking at this deal on Amazon :

52" 1080 HDTV
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

46" 1080 HDTV with 120hz 8ms refresh

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LNT46...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1197582046&sr=1-26

Is is better to get the smaller one with the faster frame refresh? Or go big and slow?

The extended warrenty Amazon has is from some 3rd party seller. It's pretty expensive. They have a 2 year one and a 4 year one. Samsung has a 1 year mfg warrenty.

What to buy ?

Thanks.

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

1 year is good but i would still get the 2 year one.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you'll be happy with both. but the 120hz thing is really impressive.

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

always buy an extended warranty. this stuff is still new technology....i had a tv mess up in 3 years and 1 month before the extended warranty ended

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Most people at AVS turn off the 120hz feature. It just doesn't really make sense to add something that isn't necessary. I would go big. You don't see too many 52in LCDs.

Also you can shop 3rd party warranties on your own, I assume for less.

6. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Buy the extended warranty.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Call Samsung and see what their extended warranty costs. They have awesome customer service.

Always go with manufacturers warranty when possible.

8. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

the 120hz makes a HUGE difference IMO

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I am in the don't buy the extended warranty group.

now, definitely do some research specific to your tv and brand, but in general, if you buy the extended warranty on the tv, wouldn't the same logic tell you to do it for cameras, camcorders, dvd's, phone, computers, refrigerators, washer/dryer, etc., etc., etc.

some things, obviously get the warranty - cars, for example. Health insurance...there's something you should probably have.

I just have grown comfortable with the one year basic warranty and taking the risk that at most, maybe one or two of my things will "break" after a few years of ownership...in which case, I'll either spend the money to fix it (which would be less than the cost of all those warranties added up), or get a new one, or both (and sell the old one on ebay).

that's just how i roll, though.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ive this in action. It makes a huge difference. But is it really for the better? I don't see how. It just looks different. And weird.

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member