1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

4 v 6 v 8 CFP format?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Jan 13, 2015.

?

What is the best CFP format?

1. 4-Team

8.7%
  2. 6-Team

32.6%
  3. 8-Team

54.3%
  4. Another variant

4.3%
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

College football used to be about every week mattering. This is lame.

Why do we need to see 3 loss teams get blown out by Alabama

3. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Probably because the average fan is tired of seeing Ohio State/Alabama/Clemson/ and a rotation of OU/Notre Dame every year in the playoff.

MadMax and Brando2101 like this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Well...they're still going to get those teams in the playoff, and they're just going to watch more blowouts of inferior teams.

#24 J Sizzle, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  5. Newlin

Newlin Member

I love this plan. I wouldn’t mind a 16 team playoff. I would like to see every team have a direct path to a national championship. It can be done. Why does FBS have to be different than every other division? Expanded playoff formats work well in the other football divisions and sports.

Elite players choosing not to play in bowl games and in some cases entire seasons has become a problem in my opinion. Many of the bowl games have become meaningless to players and fans. Playoff games all have meaning whether it’s a blowout or not. Expand the playoffs, make lots of money, compensate the players in some way. Everyone wins!

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

4 wins for a title with a 16 team format. FAIR

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

#27 J.R., Sep 2, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  8. Damion Laverne

Much needed step in the right direction

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

12 teams? DONE DEAL? Deeyyyym (if true). BIG IF TRUE

10. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I preferred an 8 or 12-team playoff, so I'm 100% on board with expanding to 12. Hopefully they're able to start this sooner than 2026.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Thrilled with this news. I’ve wanted a 16 team playoff for a longtime, so this is close. Other divisions of college football have had expanded playoffs for years and it works well. Hopefully someday every team will have a direct path to a championship.

This is especially good for the conferences that have been weakened by teams bolting to the mega conferences.

12. Buck Turgidson

Not crazy about the bye week, but this is better than nothing

DonnyMost likes this.
  13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Expanded playoff is great but it flies in the face of the current trend of conference consolidation.

MadMax likes this.
  14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I said the same thing in the OU/UT thread. I love the idea of expanded playoffs, and I’m honestly shocked given where I thought college football was headed.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The desire to join the best conferences and have meaningful, lucrative, fan-filled games every week doesn't have to also mean guaranteeing your team an easy spot in the playoffs.

Yall are so focused on that part of it. Getting teams into playoffs. That you'd rather the teams you love stay in mediocre conferences and play Kansas every week.

LIVE. AND LET LIVE. Lulz.

16. MadMax

The lucrative part means nothing to me. I don’t get to take home any of that money. Competing for a national title matters to me, and I don’t care how my teams get there. You can tell me Jordan was retired and we were banging trash cans…I’m still going to the parade.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I didn't pin lucrative on your wants & needs. Yall were saying the expanded playoff "flies in the face" of what's happening with the conferences. That stuff is mostly about money.

But on the personal desire note. You're admitting you prefer a weaker conference for the mere CHANCE at a title? Enjoy the sport how you will. No worries. But that's weak (and boring) to me.

I was asked why I was rooting for LSU last night. "Wouldn't you want your conference opponent to have a worse record?" - no I want them as spotless as possible so we can beat the best looking teams. I'm not interested in hiding in a bunker. Your team is either good enough or not.

18. MadMax

I’m saying it flies in the face of what we suspected may be coming…the notion that two conferences would break away from the rest of college football. Allowing more teams in the playoffs implies that isn’t happening.

I don’t prefer a weaker conference or stronger conference. I don’t really care. It means very little to me. I root for schools, not conferences.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Same. Better opponents = more fun. Coming from someone that used to be in the Big 12. Boring. Snooze.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Ziggy gonna be tilted as **** if a Big 12 team gets into the playoff before A&M

Ziggy likes this.