1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

4 Plays The Rockets Can Run With Russell Westbrook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HP3, Jul 18, 2019.

1. dmoneybangbang

Agreed. However, I think Harden ultimately decides what we run.

2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

adams doesnt finish like capela does

3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

on the first play, i would not have harden setting the first screen, I would actually have rivers or green (if he is on) set that pick because I think they are both better than harden and catching the ball and shooting without setting

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Can we just do peel action every time and it works every time? That looks like a play RW would EXCEL at using if it could somehow work every time.

Full speed.. karate DUNK!

HP3 likes this.
  5. don grahamleone

Thoughtless take.

Meh.

Me: Are you aware the play can still work even with lower quality screens being set?
    You: Meh.
    Me: You poked a hole in the argument plane, but it's still flying high.
    Me: You're not all that bright, are you?
    Me: Are you aware there was a play in there that didn't involve a center?
    Me:

[​IMG]

T for 3 likes this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

haha, one thing I know about the Rockets is that in this offense is that if we have a lot of success with a play, we run it ....ALOT, for better or for worse. So if something works we will definitely keep using it.

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Everyone out of the way move - the Westbrook Turtle train is coming! It is out of control.

8. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I’m surprised the video didn’t include a 1-2 pnr.

The Rockets run a lot of guard sets where they screen for each other.

Having James flash out for a 3 or Russ diving to the basket off of their respective screens will be a great move for our offense.

Also, I used to run that peel action with Russ in 2K. That **** is too easy haha.

9. don grahamleone

What do you mean by the 1-2 pnr? Is that the PnR run by the point guard and shooting guard? (I usually call that the 2-man game because a roller rarely happens)

Or did you mean this:

10. don grahamleone

This has nothing to do with this thread, but here's Euros running a way more complex versions of the Spain PnR sets that we use on occasion.

I miss seeing it. We were so ISO heavy last two years because of Harden's distinct advantage of running ISO.

napalm06 likes this.
  11. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

Adams does well vs capela, sure. Show me the games where Adams outplays or dominates players like Cousins, Gobert, or KAT. I’ll wait.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Adams is about to have a career year now that rebounds are fair game again. I think his trade value will go up pretty substantially come deadline time.

Nook likes this.
  13. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Yes, between the point guard and the shooting guard.

James and Chris would run it to get switches for each other (mostly for James) but with Russ they can use more action off of the screen.

don grahamleone and HP3 like this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Watching some of those Thunder plays you realize there's virtually no way they'll implement plays like that here. What's the point?? The spread the floor PnR option has proven to be more efficient.

It's only the playoffs where you need some variability.

And what I've been saying for years, and find particularly disappointing given MDA is known as an offensive coach, is not that they need to implement these multi-level PnR plays, but rather they just need to add 3 or 4 small little options to help get into the PnR. Eg. a simple down-screen with a guard/big leading to a PnR for the ballhandler.

If you think about the GSW offense, for example, even though its as polar opposite as possible, they aren't really running plays anymore either much of the time. Rather they just have their own version of spacing which involves just the constant use of various screens and players running off screens, down screens, back screens, etc. The end result is often the same.

hakeem94 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  15. don grahamleone

I got giddy this offseason watching old clips of the Phoenix Suns. Their two-man game was fun to watch. Two guards setting quick picks for each other and passing for an advantage.. twas dreamy on that team and dreamy in my mind's eye.

16. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Put Westbrook on the bench and GTFO his way.

17. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Here are 5 more from when they played together:

I guess you have to click the Twitter bird or the arrow at the bottom to see all 5... #learnedathingtoday

#37 burlesk, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    don grahamleone, BamBam and HP3 like this.
  18. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know Adams was who the Thunder drafted with the pick in the Harden trade, and the only player still on OKC from that trade.

19. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

It would be great if Westbrook is willing to both set screens and cut to the basket regularly. Seems like that would open up some possibilities on offense and help with spacing. When both Westbrook and Harden are on the floor, I hope the Rockets are able to overcome Westbrook's poor shooting abilities and be effective with either as the primary ball handler.

HP3 likes this.
  20. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Yeah, I'm here for the foreplays..

don grahamleone likes this.