1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3rd Attempt: GOP/Trump Repeal & Replace ACA and Trump lie about pre-exist coverage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 30, 2017.

1. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I’m guessing around 20% of total deduction every pay period. For Medicare for all, since I really don’t know.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I pay over 1000 a month for company sponsored health insurance through United. It’s always about Debits and Credits in America. If my taxes go up 1 dollar but I save 2 dollars elsewhere people will do the deal.

In turn companies like United and Aetna might have to stop jacking up rates on company plans and compete with Medicare prices. Competition in the market = good for consumers.

The biggest tell the past 20 years has been the fear mongering about long lines for days to see a doctor and things like death panels. If there’s fear mongering needed I’m betting the economic argument doesn’t make any sense.

It’s just the Dems have sucked in the past at articulating a clear message on the economics of healthcare. But they better get good quick because your questions will get asked and they’ll have to give straight answers.

3. MiddleMan

Ok this just some numbers I ran up. Medicare for all is estimated around 3.2 trillion per year. The number of american workforce over the age of 16, that are actually holding a job is around 156 million. Dividing 3.2 trillion to 156 million is $20,512 per year for each worker. That is 820.48 per pay period for 25 pay periods per year. Holy crap. Also deduct SS and fed taxes. How can this work?

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well that's a very reductive form of calculations.

You do know we don't have a flat tax rate? you do know that we have a population ranging from plumbers to trust fund babies that have fleets of 20 million dollar yachts?

#1124 fchowd0311, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. MiddleMan

Show us your estimated figures. I would love to see it.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You do realize we currently spend 3.5 Trillion a year on medical spending right?

7. fchowd0311

Unlike Trump I'm not "the greatest CPA". So I'm not confident in attempting to calculate such an endeavor.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Are you a mathologist?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. MiddleMan

Anybody else wants to take an estimate on how much we have to spend to make Medicare for all possible?

10. fchowd0311

Do you know how many variables that you probably aren't thinking when trying to ask such a daunting question that takes a team of experts weeks to formulate a general estimate?

For example, is your estimate accounting for the potential reduction in expensive procedures because everyone would have access to preventative medicene such as annual checkup up?

This isn't even direct complaint towards you. Even politicians that I agree with in a general ideological sense are guilty of these reductive calculations such as Bernie.

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

do you really think you or anyone else on this board can come up with any sort of reliable number? how simple of an endeavor do you think this is exactly? it demonstrates a ridiculous lack of understanding the complexities of the issue to think that is an exercise worth attempting, even if simply for academic purposes. that's like asking someone here to succinctly explain string theory to a 10 year old.

perhaps you should be a little more honest with yourself if you believe some of our country's most complex issues can be satisfactorily resolved over some quick math on a basketball message board.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. MiddleMan

Well I guess Medicare for all will be too expensive. On to the next topic.

13. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

14. MiddleMan

That is a big gap in spending. How can we control costs?

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Good one!

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

18. Major

Major Member

Health care spending in 2017 was $3.5 trillion in the US. How did we fund that? Seems like Americans would save $300 billion a year - nearly $1000 per person - according to your numbers.

juicystream likes this.
  19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He doesn't seem to realize how it is currently funded.

20. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

There is so much ignorance regarding healthcare. Whether its the government or private insurance or your company or cash out of your
    pocket is not the issue. That's just how its distributed. The problem is the skyrocketing cost of healthcare.

Why is that? Two words: Regulatory Overreach.

In every state groups of representatives from the professions of Doctors to Optometrists to Pharmacists are using the power of licensing
    to make sure they are in control and that only they can run medicine. They also create artificial means to limit their population to create a shortage.

As a shortage of doctors is there, any doctor can hang up a sign and have 30 patients+ a day. The only way to get through that many patients is not be treating the patient, but by pushing medications or pushing them to owned surgery centers, blood tests or equipment.

They've created a cartel and we are all suffering from it.

We're fighting like fools as to how to pay out of which pocket and not looking at the skyrocketing bills by these structural problems.

The only way to reduce costs in medicine is the give power to the consumer, not the healthcare provider and the bureaucrat.