1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3rd Attempt: GOP/Trump Repeal & Replace ACA and Trump lie about pre-exist coverage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 30, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Anyway, if you are in favor of single payer you should root for this bill.

A disastrous bill is exactly what Democrats need to flip the House and move us to single payer.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

OK, I understand now and appreciate your approaching this as a way to improve the current system in place (ACA). And I think your suggestions sound workable. The very fact that the Trump/republican approach has miraculously found $8B to prop up the state high risk pool approach tells me that the it would be just as possible to use those tax dollars to support continuous coverage. So instead of subsidizing the pools, subsidized continuous coverage. As you could tell by my experience, at no time was I looking at "gambling", avoiding paying insurance premiums and then getting insurance if needed. I don't think I am different than most others with family members with pre-existing conditions.

3. NewRoxFan

i wasn't touting Molina as a better or worse insurance provider. (I would not know whether they are good or bad).. just one that is being honest with what will be the result of the proposed Trump/republican healthcare plan... that many millions will go without coverage. I don't expect it any time soon, but I'd like to see the CEO of Aetna stand up and say "I know this will result in millions going without health care coverage, but I need to increase my company's profits higher than $2.9 Billion..."

4. justtxyank

Of course they could, but the political realty for Republicans is they created a monster in ACA that they vowed to slay. They put themselves in a position where they have to kill the ACA to keep their own voters. Honestly though it will probably cost them their rule over government either way now.

Your situation isn't normal and isn't the one I'm trying to tackle. The more common one is the person who just skips the insurance, gets something going on, gets hurt, etc. and then puts off treatment until they can get on a plan. Get it paid and then drop it again.

5. justtxyank

I mean, hasn't he basically said that? He has flat out said the reason they are leaving marketplaces is because of lost profits.

The reason the issue of Molina's quality is relevant is because carriers like Aetna, BCBS, etc. don't want to offer a product like that and get that reputation. Humana left Texas in large part because they didn't want the publicity that BCBS got by jacking premiums the way they did. For these insurance companies that have much bigger market segments elsewhere (Aetna large group, Humana small group and more importantly Medicare, United group and Medicare, etc.) they don't want the bad publicity associated with the crapfest that is the individual market AND the losses.

Astrodome likes this.
  6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is the truth.

Health care is a stick of dynamite and if Republicans tick enough people off, they will pay severely (just like Dems did). After Obamacare came into effect, I figured a single payer system was guaranteed to happen down the road sometime. This rush job could speed up the timeline.

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Pretty much how I feel. I'll probably make some money off the current health care bill/new tax legislation. I don't mind..

It'll be the rural, poor Trump voters who will be affected the most. People say "votes don't matter"? Well, we will see how votes actually matter.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm feeling a little more encouraged about the current health insurance effort. Seems like in the first effort, Republicans were trying to take easy street, and we'd have ended up with a model that wasn't going to help anything. Now, their engaged in more of a long haul debate and negotiation and we should get a better bill for the work. I still think we should build on what we have right now instead of re-inventing the wheel to satisfy foolish campaign promises. But, even if they do, there's probably more than one way to skin a cat.

I'm not a fan of single payer though. The biggest problem with healthcare costs, if I may grossly oversimplify for a moment, is that the market gets weak price signals from consumers because we need an insurance company in the middle to finance the expenses. You can say the insurance industry is the problem here. But, replacing the insurance industry with a monopsony is even worse. Then there is no price signal at all and the health care provider and the government counterparty have no idea at all what the market considers value-add, because there is no marketplace. Healthcare becomes a utility where profits are privatized and financial risks are socialized, and the only thing standing between us and disaster is the wisdom of a regulator. You can get high quality service with this model. Utilities use this model and can give you 99%+ reliability. But you pay top dollar. And the system rewards inefficiency and bloat. I think we can build a better system than this with some thoughtful construction of real and dynamic markets.

9. Anticope

Anticope Member

Your logic is sound on the surface, but it assumes that ignorant voters in this country won't once again buy into the Republican claims that they have all the answers with regards to healthcare when they inevitably find themselves out of power again. Either way, it's a political hand grenade at the moment that the house seems more than willing to pass off to the senate.

#49 Anticope, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
    JeffB likes this.
  10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Part of the Republican strategy is keeping the poor, rural folks- ignorant and uneducated. I can't say its a bad game plan because its working. Don't hate the player, hate the game lol.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You know what? I'm finally to the point where I think the US deserves the albatross that single payer will be much like the US deserves Donald Trump to be their president and Venezuela deserves communism . I'm all for it.

12. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They plan to blame Obama. Between FoxNews and false equivalency in main stream journalism, their lies will reach the eyes and ears of GOP voters who will just go along with the GOP narrative.

The whole "Obamacare is failing" non-sense is just the setup. And the RNC has no reason to believe the journalism will suddenly get better and the party's lies will get exposed. It's a decent gambit on their part.

http://acasignups.net/17/01/22/gop-openly-admits-they-plan-blame-consequences-their-actions-obama

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm impressed that the Republicans managed to take one of the least popular, least effective pieces of draft legislation in modern history - and make it even worse in an effort to get it to pass.

The CBO score that comes back on it is going to be incredibly ugly, and they're all going to be on record as having voted for it.

It's going to have stuff like this:

[​IMG]

Got Cancer? Republicans just voted for you to have to have an extra $100,000 plus per year of cash on hand in ccase you want to, you know, not die. A real luxury - thanks Trumpcare!

NewRoxFan likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

In what way do you think the new bill is better than the previous one? On the surface to me, it seems even worse. Regardless, it's DOA in the Senate, so this seems like a lot of excitement about nothing.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It is even worse. It's amazing - the logical way to get the horrible awful no good bill to pass (one house, at least) is to make it palatable for certain Republicans by making it objectively worse for everybody

That's not right wing governing or a different way of governing - this is antigovernment - instead of collectively setting rules to make everybody better off, as a whole, this is actively trying to, in this case, literally kill and bankrupt people and make us worse off - including, and espeically, sick minors.

It's amazing. I mean "think of the children!" is usually a saracastic overreaction - but this bill literally is designed to kill children.

Major likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

Independent of the actual ridiculousness of the bill itself, if I were Democrats, I would repeatedly hammer the message that the GOP is making it so that if you're sexually assaulted, that's a preexisting condition that can prevent you from getting healthcare. It's accurate, it's simple, and it elicits a powerful emotional response. Sort of like how the death panels argument worked so well (minus the accuracy part). Much more effective than arguing about coverage levels, etc.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

18. NewRoxFan

Am I incorrect... the major "improvement" that appears to have won over a few of republicans that opposed previously was the addition of the $8 Billion in subsidies over five years that will somehow be used for state high risk pools (though no specifics how, when or what).

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yup, less than two billion a year will cover all the preexisting conditions, good job GOP house! Yuge win for president Trump who said he would not sign the bill unless preexisting condition is covered in the bill,way to go!

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

It'll be nothing but ads with personal stories about how the Republicans voted to take away their health insurance. 2018 will be scorched earth if this passes the house.