1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 years from now: Irving or Rubio?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Feb 2, 2012.

?

Who'll be better 3 years from now?

1. Kyrie Irving

78 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. Ricky Rubio

66 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Who do you think will be the better player 3 years from now?

2. SPF35

SPF35 Member

You know its just a flawed question. If you are asking who is better which is normal, but for basketball it really doesn't work. It depends on what you have and what you need. If you need a scoring guard to be the no oen option, then Kyrie is better for your team. If you have talent and need a leader to be the engine of the team, make em run, and hit them in their spots, you can't do better than Rubio.

1 person likes this.
  3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

This about sums up what my response was going to be.

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Irving went to Duke.

He cursed.

Will probably suffer some injury like Hill or Brand or JWill.

Sad.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

OK, interpret it this way. If you were starting from scratch 3 years from now, which player would you rather rebuild with.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Irving is so much ahead of Rubio right now, Rubio would have to improve a lot to catch up to Irving.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I will go with Irving because not only can he score, but he does it efficiently.

But I think both will be excellent for a long time.

8. Mizhemp

Mizhemp Member

I'd take Rubio. I want a true pass-first point guard to build around. Kyrie seems like the next coming of Russell Westbrook - a shoot first point guard who takes shots away from my superstar wing scorer.

9. Prince

Prince Member

Ricky Rubio was much better since 5 years back til now, so I don't see any difference 3yrs from now.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They will both be great - you will be able to build around either of them..

DD

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Rubio would have to evolve his shot like J. Kidd did, and his scoring in general. He's way too incosistent right now to be a factor in playoffs, etc.
    If Kyrie tunes down the turnovers and averages a bit more assists he will be a top5 pg in a few years.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

First, how can you pigeon-hole a 19 yr old like that who has only played 20+ games so far.

B) It is very rare for a 19yr old rookie PG to shoot >50% FGs and >40% 3s like this. And on such a terrible team.

3) Kyrie's wing scorer (Antawn Jamison) has more FGA than Irving -- and Jamison is no superstar.

iv) Kyrie FGA/gm is 13.4. For the month of January, Rubio is >10 FGA/gm, and it is becoming apparent that Rubio is going to start approaching 13 attempts, especially if he could shoot like Kyrie.

Last) At the end of next year (2013), Irving will be the same age as Rubio, now.

13. heypartner

Oh, to answer the question, I'd probably take Rubio -- I'd say he is the safer bet. But there is a good chance I'd regret it ... 50/40 shooting is special for a PG.

btw: per John Wall. Is he really not part of the discussion of the future of the new PG crop -- stuck on the worst team in the NBA. Look at the FG% of the starters around him. :eek:

14. Convictedstupid

I'd take either right now over Wall.

15. SPF35

SPF35 Member

heya partner, get your head out of the box score and watch the games...Rubio does some incredible things taht just aren't recorded in the box score from deflections etc(rocket fans can appreciate these because of battier). Kyrie is really impressive in his ability to score and score efficiently both as a rookie and as a PG. ITs a matter of taste, but outside of Drose, I don't think Shoot first PGs are the best way to win at title so I would build with Rubio bc he is just going to make a fun team to watch, fast paced and bring the best out of everyone. He is intelligent on both offense and defense, but his shot is still a work in progress and he has progressed already, but I am not taking him for his scoring. I take him for the same reason I would take Jkidd or Rondo to be my starting point for a title contender, because of the overall package. Kyrie is great and will be a stud, and he can have all the PER and true FG he wants, but I like what Rubio brings to the table

16. heypartner

dude, I have been watching...that's why I said I'd take Rubio, right now. Get off my jock.

The ONLY reason I brought up stats (mainly Jamison's FGA/gm) is to say we can't really pigeon-hole him yet as a "shoot first PG." That assumes he ignores his teammates. And exactly how many Cleveland games have you watched this year?

The reason 50/40 for a PG is so special is because that is a strong foundation by which to get your teammates involved. The PG becomes a huge threat to the defense -- thus, opening up his teammates. If Irving is willing to play the right away, it will be easy for him to grow into a more traditional PG. Hell, Parker got Finals MVP with less shooting ability as Irving has right now.

#16 heypartner, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No one watches Cleveland, brah.

I definitely agree with your 50/40 threat point, people will put pressure on him or double team in close situations, which opens up a lot of opportunities for his teammates. And he definitely has the vision to find them. I like the Parker comparison.

18. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

I think they will be looked at on about equal footing in 3 years because they’re great fits for their respective teams. Rubio has a top 5 PF to spoon feed every night and a lot of athletic, young players to run with. Cleveland had a completely bare cupboard before Irving came along, and he’s proving he’s going to be the new go-to guy that they desperately needed.

If I was starting a team from scratch…that’s tough. I think I would choose Irving because you never know if you’ll draft another elite scorer anytime soon.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That is pretty insane that Irving is shooting 50/40 at the age of 19.

Most guys improve from that age. Can he possibly get better?

20. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I think Kyle Irving is Damon Stoudamuire II... I'd take Rubio to start my franchise... In a few years, teams will alter there schemes to stop Rubio's penetration... Irving is good but doesnt have superstar potential IMO