1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#3 for Pace? Would you do it?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gr8-1, Feb 24, 2003.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think everyone is in agreeance that Pace would be the best option for Texas. If you guys get MaGahee, by 2004, you should be ready for a playoff run.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This would be a total waste...

I like Pace, but two #1's...

We need to trade down and get more picks to trade for playas...

3. rocketsball2003

i can go without having pace, but man i am nervous about the boss man being healthy... we need carr to stay in his full and upright position you hear me...

are there any other LTs that are out there that we might have a chance with??? i heard something about turley but it was nothing for sure

4. drapg

drapg Member

I'd love to do this trade, but only if we could get a guarantee that Pace would sign a long term extension. I've heard stories that he's looking for a quarterback-like $20 million signing bonus.

If the Texans can invest that kind of long-term money into the man, then I'm all for it!

As for Charles Rogers, he was measured at the combine as 6'2.5" and 202 pounds! A lot smaller than listed in college!

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Miami's pro day is March 6, that's when Andre Johnson will run his 40 and do his drills for all the scouts. If he's as big as they say he is and hasn't lost any of his speed then Casserly may be hard pressed not to stand pat and take him at #3.

This could also improve the trade value of the #3 pick if other teams looking for a playmaker fall in love with Johnson.

As for Pace:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Despite a report in St. Louis, he's not interested in surrendering the third pick for St. Louis offensive tackle Orlando Pace, who is expected to re-sign for the largest contract in NFL history for a lineman.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's Casserly quoted in a recent John McClain article.

The Texans are hinting at leaning towards an offensive player with their #3 pick and if they can't trade down I can't see them taking Gross.

Make sure and pick up the March 7th edition of the Chronicle where I'm sure you'll read more than your fill of Casserly love quotes about Johnson.

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

The Texas should not use a #3 overall pick for Pace. Great player, but do you really think he will be great at 35-37 even if he is one of those freak OLs that stay healthy and play that long? In building a team think about guys with 8-10 years of impact to go along with Carr and others.

No, no, no to Johnson at #3. The dude was a total non-factor in the biggest game of his career and drops too many. Great physical speciman, but doesn't seem to be as great of player as his he should be. I'd rather take a guy (Rodgers) with a little less pure physical gifts who just always seems to make plays--maybe like a TO without being a dumbass or a Key or Micheal Irvin with a little more speed.

Plus there are lots of good Wr in the late 1st and 2nd round this year--I would not burn a top 5 pick on a WR unless it was Rodgers. Trade down and get more picks if you want Wrs.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

"Say Nay To Andre!" :)

Seriously, if we can't get Rogers in the first round, I'd just as soon pick up Gross/Kwamie Harris/Orlando Pace and pick up a guy like Kelley Washington in the second round (assuming he's healthy and checks out, which is a pretty big if).

Warning! Crazy talk ahead...
    Also, if either St. Louis or Houston don't feel like dealing for Pace, why not try to work a deal out with Minnesota? I'd gladly take Mt. McKinnie and their #7 overall pick in exchange for a #1, #2, and future #3 pick. From our standpoint, we could pick up William Joseph/Marcus Trufant/Gross/Harris/Andre Johnson/etc. with the #7 (plus, we'd get our prized OT in McKinnie, another first rounder), and Minnesota could grab Jimmy Kennedy, Terrell Suggs, or Terence Newman and draft a decent O-linemen with our second rounder. Granted, this deal heavily favors Houston, but what do I know? I'm just a homer. :D

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

So you'd want a rookie OL instead of Pace who needs a learning curve? The Texans need a younger vet to stick in at the tackle position not another rookie. Is Pace at 27 worth the #3 pick? Yes. Worth the #3 pick and a huge contract that could hamstring us for 5-7 years? No. So Pace won't happen, the Texans need to turn their attention to Wayne Gandy of the Steelers, we may get in a bidding war with the Dolphins over him however.

Non factor in his biggest game? What did he do in the national championship game against Nebraska? Only completely dominated. He's stronger and faster than Rogers and could easily become a better player. I wouldn't take him at #3 but I could see Casserly doing it.

Texans also said something along the lines of what we do in free agency will somewhat dictate what we do in the draft. In other words if they sign David Boston don't expect to see Johnson's name called. If the sign Wayne Gandy and resign Ryan Young, we probably won't select Gross or Harris. I for one will be very interested to see who the Texans target first in free agency.

9. Possum

Possum Member

These are some quotes from Casserly in this mornings Chronicle.

"If you know what you think you can get in the first round, then you can work around that," Casserly said. "The rest of the draft, I don't even let it factor into free agency. In a perfect world, you'd like to have no needs going into the draft and just take the best player all the way through, which is unrealistic.

"You'd like to be able to use your first pick for an immediate starter at a position of need, and the rest of the draft, take the best player available and build the depth of your football team for the future. You make your best decisions that way, and that's what we will do.

Time to analize! To me it appears as if you can eliminate Suggs and Newnam at #3. Neither IMO would be an immediate starter at a position of need. Since Casserly has already said he doesn't want to start a rookie at LT again it looks like we can eliminate Gross at #3. IMO that leaves Kennedy or Johnson as our top choices. There is still 2 months before the draft but to me it looks like a 2 man race. My money is on Johnson!

Johnson may be too good to pass up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6213719
    By Pat Kirwan
    Special to NFL.com

Jumping Johnson
    One receivers coach told me he felt Miami's Andre Johnson was inching ahead of Michigan State's Charlie Rogers. It's just one man's opinion, but this guy has coached in the NFL for a long time and when he has said it to me in the past, he has been right more often than not. Johnson is up to 230 pounds and jumped out of the building in the standing broad jump. I will keep my eye on this two-man contest for the top receiver spot.

10. Summer Song Giver

Enjoyed reading all you guy's views on the upcoming draft, it's going to be an exciting time to be a Texans fan. I gotta say I agree most with Phillyrocket though his analysis seems right on the mark with what I think the Texans will try to do. Wouldn't it be nice to pick up both Gandy and Boston and then having the luxuryof taking Suggs and playing him at outside linebacker? I think this guy wouldbe an LT type impact player. Good job fellas!

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I want Andre Johnson now. Physically, he is a replica of Terrell Owens (6'3, 230). Mix that in with his ridiculous speed (For someone his size) and youve got a freak of nature. I really like this guy and I think he will develop into one of the best WR in the league.

So, I would rather go with Andre than with Pace.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree, if it was a younger Pace with a typical rookie low-first round pick type contract then Pace would make a lot of sense for the Texans--but this isn't the case and would cost them a potential younger building block (#3 pick).

I was talking about the NC game in which the play of one player could have made a difference. Nebraska’s defense has been slow and shredded a few times the last couple of years—no big feat to burn that secondary. However in this year's game that mattered, Johnson didn’t consistently beat his man, let alone dominate—even with single coverage on him at times. You take the impressive guy at the combine, I’ll take the guy who made the difference on the field even with the whole defense designed to stop him (e.g., Rogers).

So why not just sign the 24 year old David Boston (assuming his health check out) and then use the #3 pick for the best non-WR available instead of picking Johnson with the #3 or trading for the 27 year old Pace. In Boston you have a guy who is every bit the athlete Johnson is who has proved nobody in the pros, let alone, college, can physically match-up with him (think Owens with more speed). A healthy Boston is what Johnson would be if Johnson learns to put all his physical gifts into making himself a great impact player on the field.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

to be fair, johnson was not the only hurricane to struggle against OSU. mcgahee managed only 31 yards on 14 carries through the game's first 40 minutes. he finished with 67 yards and a 3.3 yards per carry average (during the season, he averaged 141 and 6.2). his longest run (which, irrc, he did once) was for 10 yards and there were several plays in which he lost yardage. if healthy, would you hestitate to take him third because of an off-game against a great defense?

dorsey was off his game, too, btw. look, there's a reason OSU went 13-0 this year. i wouldn't fault johnson for having an off-game (an off game in which he still averaged nearly 14 yards on 4 catches).

on the field being more than lip service. by all accounts, johnson is a stand-up guy, boston has had trouble. plus, he'd cost you a ton of money, and with the kind of year he had last year, on, off, beside, near the field, i don't see how he's less of a risk.

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Would be interesting if Detroit took Newman or Suggs. Then, the Texans would decide between Johnson or Rogers. Interesting.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Boston has more baggage than just about any player in the league. He's been injured, had all kind of drug problems and now several teams are going to get in a bidding war because he's basically the only quality WR available in the free agent market. The Texans aren't going to get in a bidding war with anyone especially for a guy carrying all the crap Boston is.

Don't get me wrong if we'd sign Boston and then drafted Kennedy or Suggs I'd be ecstatic, but it won't happen and neither will the Pace deal. Personally I'm hoping we trade our second rounder to the Saints for Turley and then take either Johnson, Suggs, or Kennedy with the #3 pick.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Umm, Okay...if that deal would be possible, I would love to. Never said I wouldnt. I was just talking about the situation at hand.

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Boston is a genetic freak; if he ever plays up to his potential (ie, when he leaves Phoenix) he would be one of the greatest receivers ever. He's bigger and faster than Shannon Sharpe (who is a TE). An absolute genetic phenomenon.

What drugs are you speaking of?

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

detroit's not passing on rogers. it's one of the sure things in this year's draft.

from the sporting news:

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Cardinals | Tests on Boston Showing Traces of Narcotics - from KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
    April 23, 2002 16:33:49 PT Mike Jurecki, reporting for KDUS sports radio, has reported the blood tests on WR David Boston's run with the police in earlier this year are in and not very positive for Boston or the Arizona Cardinals. The blood tests showed traces of mar1juana and cocaine were in his system. No alcohol was found in the tests. Police are recommending charges of driving under the influence against Boston at this time. The city prosecutors have been given the case and they are considering misdemeanor charges against Boston.

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I love Pace, but damn, a #3 overall...

I wouldn't even take a O-Line at #3...I would try to trade down and a get a quality O-Line guy at the bottom of the first or second...

Hell, we need so many things on offense it's hard to fill all the needs on draft day...