1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2nd Training Camp Updates

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Jul 12, 2020.

1. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Is it still safe to play in the Orlando bubble of Disney Land?

2. rockets13champs

1. They in Disney world
    2. No one allowed in, And if u like like Zion or harell. You gotta be quarantined for like 8 days with negative tests. It’s equal to you staying in your house in Houston while numbers are raising for positive tests. Your not gonna get the virus from playing basketball with your kids in your driveway.

DeBeards likes this.
  3. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yes they are in Disney world. player might not leave and come in but staff certainly do. And who’s doing all the testing, the food, the cleaning and other stuff. Yea the Disney staff who do leave the resort and go back to their homes. Where a lot of people are getting infected. The testing takes a couple days or even if it takes a couple hours they could in fact be infected and spread it. So let’s not act like the bubble is that safe.
    also a lot of players don’t wear the masks properly or they take it off.
    Did you see the security ? Is not that great only one guard at the entrance and one where they do the testing. And a player can still hook up with a staff member that’s just an assumption I know but the place isn’t that safely guarded. I seen a couple of live streams and it looks plausible to sneak someone in specially at night.

anyway that’s not even the main problem. The main problem is that the Disney staff goes back to their home and the testing is done but it takes time to know if that person has COVID-19 or not.

Invisible Fan and DeBeards like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

NBA is still doing it better than most cities.

NBA players are safer in the bubble than they would be in greater Texas, Florida, Arizona, Alabama or California for sure.

5. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I thought about that, but maybe since FL is doing so bad, it'll keep everyone more honest when thinking of breaking the bubble.

On a side note, and sorry if missed this. But, any word on next week's scrimmages being aired on NBA TV or something?

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Morey also mentioned Chandler as one of his team’s early standouts in Florida. Here’s what the GM said:

Tyson… has looked very good. I should have mentioned him. I don’t think, given the miles on his wheels, that he’s going to have a huge role in the playoffs. But I do think if Coach called on him, he’d be ready. He was schooling some of the young bucks the last couple days.

As Chandler recently said: “I always tell Coach [D’Antoni], ‘If you want to switch it up, I’m right here and I’m ready!’”

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...at-he-sees-in-tyson-chandler-at-rockets-camp/

#86 D-rock, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

https://www.nba.com/rockets/schedule

forchette49 likes this.
  9. macan

macan Member

more Rockets practice videos plz. i can watch them all day.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

11. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

These practice videos are awesome!
    Yeah, can't believe tyson chandler can still do those acrobatic alleyoops…at his 37.

D-rock likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

I thought Disney staff who wanna earn their bread n butter during this unprecedented hard time (many facing layoff) should stay w/ players as well as do their jobs by preventing themselves from contacting ppl outside Disney Land, cuz players are really really taking a great risks to play during the special time.
    Besides, nba should have reached an agreement with Disneyland who should give their word to make sure the logistic things going SAFELY by doing very little things like security, food supply, staff quarantine, daily sterilization etc,.

jch1911 likes this.
  14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The other thing is that we have data now. Several of the MLS teams have been in their Disney bubble for 21+ days. Every NBA team has been there for 10-12 days. So we don't have to act like all of this is theoretical. It doesn't guarantee success indefinitely, but it's not an insignificant sample, either.

The factor that has been (and still is) vastly underrated by most people is that surface contamination is not the primary mode of spread. So even if, theoretically, there's a Disney staffer in there that might have COVID... if he or she is wearing a mask, and they're not coming remotely close to the NBA personnel, then they're probably not going to cause a bubble outbreak.

There's a reason why the CDC thinks we could completely control COVID within a few weeks if everyone did masks. Even if there's a ton of preexisting virus (which there isn't in the bubble), it is controllable if you do masks, especially in combination with distancing. It's spreading rapidly in many places outside the bubble (i.e. most of Florida) because people aren't doing those things.

15. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yes they might be doing it a little better but that’s because they have to right. Isn’t it up to them to set up protocols so that players don’t get the virus as easily. Yet the NBA could have done a much better job. The reason they are doing in on Orlando is obvious. Its all about their money and Disney getting some of that money from all the revenue they have lost.

Even with that said they could have done a much better job. They could have totally have a more safer and more closed environment so that it could be more like 99% secure from getting Covid. If they had given the Disney employees housing and food. Even on cheaper or smaller resorts everything would be safer. Some would say yea but people wouldn’t want to be apart from their families. But money is money and specially during this pandemic. Plus as the tournament progressed less teams would be in the bubble so less staff would be needed.

so I agree with you that they are in a safer environment but could be safer and better in a state with less cases. Plus nba isn’t needed not during this time. Yea we miss sports but we also have other things going on. Do we need it no we don’t is it nice to have a tournament of course.

DeBeards and jch1911 like this.
  16. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yes I agree. That exactly what I was saying in other post. It would be more safely to have their employees there. On another resort but in that bubble. They could have spend a little more.

jch1911 and DeBeards like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sorry but a multi million dollar mansion where staff can cook and sanitize every single thing that comes in and out as well as the house itself is safer than being in a bigger version of the same thing with thousands of people. These guys were never going to be involuntarily exposed to the same risks as the average person in those places.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. D-rock

D-rock Member