1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

25 year old man murdered in Georgia for jogging while black

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, May 6, 2020.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Didnt someone start posting pepe the frog memes here or was it another thread

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

A jury finds Ahmaud Arbery's 3 killers guilty of federal hate crimes
    https://www.npr.org/2022/02/22/1082225480/ahmaud-arbery-hate-crimes

AleksandarN likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was going back over the thread here and there to see how our conversation evolved. Credit to plenty of posters - including many conservative posters who are usually misjudged as kneejerk defenders of racism - for calling this a murder and a hate crime from the start.

But, I have to wonder how the contrarians who did defend the McMichaels in this thread feel now that a jury of 12 peers unanimously agreed they were guilty of murder, and then another jury of 12 peers also unanimously agreed they were guilty of hate crimes. Do you regret 'asking questions', suggesting that Arbery was a burglar or could reasonably be suspected as one, arguing that the McMichaels were trying to conduct a citizens arrest, arguing that Arbery was an attacker and the McMichaels were engaged in self-defense, saying that the McMichaels weren't conducting a lynching but just trying to protect their community? All those ideas have now officially been dispelled by not one, but two trials. Or do you think after all this, somehow those dudes got railroaded? Or perhaps you accept now that they are guilty but think it wasn't really at all clear at the time and your vociferous skepticism was justified?

And, I don't really mean to call anyone out, but it's quite possible the people I'm asking won't revisit this thread. So, I noticed in particular @Trader_Jorge, @jcee15, and @dachuda86.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

They believed what they wanted to believe. Just like people believed what they wanted to believe with Michael Brown

People who lean further to the extremes on either side of the political spectrum tend to rush to judgement and be more inclined to ignore facts that oppose their view.

[​IMG]

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A lot on the left, including me we're wrong on the (already forgot his name won't bother googling) kid killing people at the protest. In these public murders and trials, it really is best to keep your mouth shut, stay out of the partisan games and reserve judgment until the situation is well understood. Coming from the guy who made this thread, my initial feelings on what I saw were 100% right, the thread title is perfect, but it could have been wrong for as much as I knew at the start of this.

rocketsjudoka, jiggyfly and DCkid like this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You're not going to get a response from anyone you're concerned with.

However, I would also like to take a moment to recognize the two or three right leaning posters who didn't make complete and total jackasses out of themselves in this thread. You are doing the heavy lifting to clean up the mess made by the half dozen or more whom are either not terribly bright or mature.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People have always jumped to conclusions and these days with the power of social media there is even more impetus to do so. Also with how polarized things are there is a lot of pressure for people to stick to their rhetorical guns.