1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

25 year old man murdered in Georgia for jogging while black

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, May 6, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly

Rocket River

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

if a white jogger was killed cold-blooded (no gray areas) I don't think the police will protect the suspects

edwardc likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I mean, you could be right. But I'm not all that interested in running down small town Georgia based on their legacy and reputation for racism. I don't know the people involved. But, the last couple of prosecutors handling the case recused themselves because they knew Gregory McMichaels professionally.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. vlaurelio

"According to a police report, the two men, Gregory McMichael, 64, and his son, Travis McMichael, 34, had grabbed their weapons, a .357 magnum revolver and a shotgun, jumped into a truck and began following Arbery after seeing him run by."

I don't need to run down to the small town nor research the towns legacy and reputation to conclude that this was a cold-blooded murder of a black jogger and 90% the murder had something to do with the color of his skin

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely and spot on.

There is a disturbing lack of understanding about what "freedom" actually means. Too many people forget that freedom also comes with responsibility. The right to own a firearm still comes with an understanding that it will be used responsibly.

RayRay10, Nook and Blatz like this.
  6. JuanValdez

I don't disagree. But we weren't talking about their motives for murdering him. We were talking about the police and prosecutors' motives for not charging them.

edwardc and RayRay10 like this.
  7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

so much hate in the world and people like this feel emboldened by the racists in chief and are protected by their privilege

8. vlaurelio

if a white person was cold-blooded followed and killed like this I bet police and prosecutors will act immediately and won't need/wait for Biden to make a big deal out of it

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I saw some camera feed uploaded on Reddit where a Sacramento cop beat up a teen girl for suspicion of mar1juana. No mar1juana found.

Nation of proud and free warriors.

edwardc, RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I've driven through it many times. It's a pretty poor area. Brunswick is basically where you live/visit if you want to be near the beach, but can't afford to be on one of the Islands or Savannah. The rest of the county is rich white people. Jekyll Island (which is an amazing place) and Saint Simons have the Demographics of a Utah Jazz game. You might see black person, but odds are they just work there.

Junebball, RayRay10 and JuanValdez like this.
  11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Charges will be brought - but because the prosecutors knew the killer and the current COVID restrictions in place, it will take some time.

"Tom Durden, the acting district attorney for a neighboring district, said in a letter posted on Facebook that he believed “the case should be presented to the grand jury of Glynn county for consideration of criminal charges against those involved in the death of Mr Arbery”.

Durden, who was assigned to investigate the fatal shooting after prosecutors in Brunswick and a neighboring district recused themselves due to potential conflicts of interest, said he would present the case to the next available grand jury in Glynn county. That grand jury might not meet until mid-June or later because courts were under restrictions imposed by the coronavirus pandemic, he said."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/05/georgia-brunswick-shooting-ahmaud-arbery-grand-jury

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I suspect they will use the stand your ground defense (note....i am not agreeing with that)

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  13. vlaurelio

"the prosecutor in Brunswick argued there was not probable cause to arrest the McMichaels because they were legally carrying firearms, had a right to pursue a burglary suspect and use deadly force to protect themselves"

translation: jogging while black

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  14. JuanValdez

Concerned that it will be a repeat of the Trayvon Martin case -- even though the accused started a confrontation they had no business starting, the accused is deemed empowered to now protect himself with deadly force because the victim resisted.

RayRay10 and juicystream like this.
  15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Reminds me so much of the Trayvon Martin case, just with video of the altercation. Dude basically stood his ground, and then the white guys who were 100% instigating the whole mess felt the need to stand their ground against the retaliation.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Seriously? The fellow actually said that?

To clarify, it's not that I don't believe someone could say that. I'm a little surprised that they would say out loud where it could be recorded or on video. Was it?

#36 Deckard, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    edwardc, RayRay10 and Rocket River like this.
  17. vlaurelio

I guess the murderers told the prosecutor they believed he was a burglar and the prosecutor believed they have a right to pursue who they thought was a burglar. Yeah messed up all around.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/05/georgia-brunswick-shooting-ahmaud-arbery-grand-jury

here's more

"On Wednesday morning, CNN reported that while walking down the same street in an attempt to talk to people about the killing, the sound of sustained semi-automatic gunfire was heard close by, which the network believed was an attempt to discourage journalists."

Make America Hate Again!

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks. That makes it pretty clear. The prosecutor who wrote that letter should be fired.

edwardc, RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They essentially pulled one of these

By god a black man burglar is coming right for us!!

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Horrific

RayRay10 likes this.