1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 4, 2024.

1. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Bobbythegreat and mikol13 like this.
  2. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

I beg your pardon?
    they’re saying Dubon has been an option at 1B…??
    every single one of those coaches in the clubhouse needs to be shown the door…

HOW TF WOULD YOU NOT PLAY THE BEST AVAILABLE HITTERS AT MINIMUM ONE GAME PER SERIES??? Stop living in JDB’s shadow

Watch Dubon put on a clinic at 1B and end up with one of the best BA’s on the team.

3. Buck Turgidson

Jack!

4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Keep in mind Bagwell thought he could play in 2006 with one arm in the NL and cost Drayton the insurance payout for trying ...

5. lnchan

While sacrificing defense in CF....

6. Buck Turgidson

I don't know what your day job is....it's not politics, it's not baseball, it's not sports in general....

You should maybe find a new job.

Radricky likes this.
  7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He still got a payout, though we don't know what the settlement ended up as.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the same thing. If others can pound in runs in our stadium our guys should be able to. That being said, just take out all those eyesore big billboards and ads out of the outfield and keep it green. Give em what they want, and see if it works. Maybe our pitchers would do better too without big bright red and white HEB signs in their vision. Who knows.

10. Radricky

Radricky Member

11. Buck Turgidson

I blame Torchy's Tacos.

Shitass basic gringo gruel.

12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Blame it on Austin for spreading their tacos. :p

13. lnchan

What is Chandler stirring up this time...

14. Buck Turgidson

I've hated them since the week they opened and the first taco I had there.

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

16. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

17. AkeemTheDreem86

If that's not the name of a 311 album, it should be.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

****, I love that

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I like that the Astros group of Crane/Brown/Espada took the necessary effort to get Abreu off the team to try to fix him. I think it was obvious it was not a normal slump very quickly, but I expected he would just lose playing time slowly based on how they had been acting instead of this move.

On the Astros last night, I was fading in and out and have not been paying much attention to the active roster. To me, it is just weird that the Astros have so few guys that can hit that Dubon would have to pinch run instead of pinch hit with Singleton and Meyers due up in extra innings. The man on 2B without a man on 1B really is a situation the heavily favors Dubon (i.e., single drives in a run without double play risk). Is there no room on 26 man roster to have a pinch runner so Dubon can be used as a hitter for Singleton or Meyers with Caratini used for the other in that situation? It worked out, but it bugged my half asleep brain on why Singleton was batting instead of Dubon only to realize that Dubon was on second base at some point.

I'm guessing the Abreu situation may have caused the roster to be wonky last night, but I'd like the Astros to have a pinch runner if they aren't going to have more guys that can hit on the roster.

Edit: It looks like the Astros choose to be down a second man yesterday with Abreu being optioned instead of figuring out how to get someone from El Paso to Houston for a day. Just hard wanting to follow the roster moves, paying attention to stuff outside of games when the season has been depressing (or even staying awake after Astros give up 3 in the 1st and blow a 5 run lead).

#819 Joe Joe, May 1, 2024
    Last edited: May 1, 2024
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yeah, that’s one reason I’m looking forward to the idea of Cabbage and Loperfido replacing Kessinger and Abreu. Assuming they give Singleton the 1B job for a couple of weeks, they’ll have at least one of Loperfido or Cabbage on the bench with Dubon and Caratini. Both of those guys are plus runners. Singleton and Kessinger aren’t bad bench players but their role is VERY narrow; Singleton as a pure pinch hitter and Kessinger as a pure infield defensive replacement. Cabbage and Loperfido carry strikeout risk, but otherwise offer value off the bench as defensive replacements, pinch runners, or pinch hitters with power.