1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2024 International Signing Period

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 14, 2024.

1. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Hakeem averaged 19 and 10 as a 36 year old with a 23 PER. David Robinson went for 12 and 8 with a 20 PER at that same age.
    I just don't think guys kept it together at advanced ages back then like they do now with modern training and nutrition.

No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I suspect Miguel Tejada had an AARP membership while playing for the Stros.

rockbox and IdStrosfan like this.
  3. the shark

the shark Member

Or maybe it had to do with them playing during a time that wasn't soft. The league was WAY rougher back then. If you came down the lane you were going to be mauled or put on your @$$. Dudes could put their hands all over you (hand checks etc). You do any of this stuff now you're called for a foul, fined, thrown out of the game or suspended. Going through all of that would wear anyone down.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

The problem with comparing different eras in any sport is that they're different.

No Worries likes this.
  5. shafted1

shafted1 Contributing Member

So did we lose some our prospects due to the age scandal or did we sign them to reduced bonuses? Especially since we recently traded away some our bonus money

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I remember when I was 36. After a pickup game, my knees had a very long and painful discussion with my brain wrt playing basketball.

My lower back had a similar opinion when I was about 40.

7. Buck Turgidson

Off the top of my head: Nolan Ryan, Big Unit, Ortiz, Satchel Paige, Pujols, Honus Wagner, Nelson Cruz, Jamie Moyer, Mariano Rivera, Julio Franco, Rickey Henderson, Stan Musial, Phil Neikro, Ted Williams, etc...etc...etc...

You can look up more.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Details have not come up but there were reports that Houston did lose prospects; 3 was the number mentioned in at least one place but it was not specified whether that was from this cycle or a future cycle. I pointed out upthread that several of their top bonus signings have not officially come across the transactions log yet.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

PEDs change the calculation on some of those guys, and Pujols is a terrible example despite having a good last season as a part-time platoon player. Baseball players did age well back in the day though. I think increased velocity across the sport has made it much harder than it used to be, but there is always the extreme outlier (like JV).

10. Buck Turgidson

Which kinds?

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fwiw the 4 signings I saw confirmed online that still have not shown up on the MLB transactions page are OF Luis Rives, OF Anderson Paula, P Josue Lozano, and IF Samuel Brito. Rives and Paula were rumored to have significant bonuses.

raining threes and No Worries like this.
  12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Sorry for bump, but it's probably a bit too early to start the 2025 IFA thread...