1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Free Agent Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Feb 27, 2024.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The quality of available free agents this summer is poor, but there are a few players worth going after.

assuming we can clear cap room with the Jeff Green, Tate, and Landale team-option contracts, here are a few guys I’d aggressively go after:

Nic Claxton - 25 yr old rim protector and double double machine

Gary Trent Jr. - 25 yr old 2-way sharp shooting 2-guard with size.

Who else should we be targeting?

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Claxton is getting a big payday. I don't see how we sign him, and even if we could, I wouldn't want him on a big contract. Plus we got Steven Adams anyway.

I'd take Grayson Allen, although he might be shooting himself into a contract we don't have room for.

Hartenstein?

I like Trent. Beasley could be another cheap-ish shooter.

theDude and BaselineFade like this.
  3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Harden will be a FA…..

[​IMG]

4. kpdark

kpdark Member

I'd prioritize trades-or the 'star hunting' first, if nothing pans out then try out the FAs...

5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m pretty sure Stone said we will be operating over the cap, which I assume means that all options will be picked up and we will be trying to improve the team through trades.

I think any of our targets will need to be players we can get with the MLE of around $13.5 million. I’d definitely be targeting some shooters.

6. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Valanciunas could be a shout, slide Alpi to the 4 and play Bari as a 3 more. Jonas and Adams playing the 5 spot with Alpi sliding back for small ball lineups. Alex Burks could be a nice low-cost shooter, Trent Jr, Hield. We need shooting more than anything else, stretching the floor unlocks everything for our inside the paint players. We're not going to be a big-splash team with FA, that'll have to come by trade if it comes at all (I don't at all believe the picks we have and Green nets us anyone of value tbh) so focus on our biggest need: shooting.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

With 1st round draft picks and tradeable expirings, I think we're going after bigger game. Whether or not it bears fruit is another question, but the cabinet isn't bare.

Corrosion, saleem and theDude like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

after he no-shows in the first round and the Clippers make an early exit, he could come dirt cheep.

get 'er done Stoney

9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to move Jalen for some length and let Brooks and Cam take over the SG position, then add a sniper to spell them or float with them between SG/SF.

Doug McDermott, Buddy Hield, Lonnie Walker IV, Malik Beasley and Grayson Allen should all be somewhere around our range. There will be someone available with the MLE that shoots over 40% from 3, we just need to make getting one a priority.

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I keep thinking he is much older than he actually is because he reminds me so much of Patty Mills and I confuse them.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Malik Monk
    Immanuel Quickley (RFA)
    De'Anthony Melton
    Patrick Williams (RFA)

The RFAs would probably have to be a sign-and-trade where we give up assets.

Aruba77, BaselineFade and jch1911 like this.
  12. R=$

R=$ Member

Immanuel Quickley

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What is your projection on how much we will have to spend? (And how to get there)

Probably a SUPER important item for a thread like this.

Corrosion likes this.
  14. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Some targets (not presently sold on Adams as backup C).

Need a consistent outside shooter + (potentially) backup F/C
    F/C Jalen Smith (IND) PO
    C Isaiah Hartenstein (NYK)
    C Charles Bassey (SA) trade
    C Robert Williams III (POR) trade
    G Isaiah Joe (OKC) CO / trade
    G/F Spencer Dinwiddie (LAL)
    C Goga Bitadze (ORL)
    G/F Buddy Hield (PHI)
    C Mo Bamba (PHI)

If decide to trade Jalen G, I am pulling for Swipa (depends on Sac flaming out in playoffs).

Would be a small backcourt, but we could really push tempo and feed our team's advantage.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't know that a middling free agency signing will make a huge difference for us. The rockets could use some shooting but that's not the reason our offense is terrible. We start three 3point shooters. But, our offense goes stale because no one is afraid of a Jalen Green or FVV drive. No guard on our team can consistently drive under control in the half court and score in the paint.

We need a dynamic perimeter player. It's an integral part of any good offense. I think that's why the rocket's are star hunting. They need what Jalen Green was drafted to be. That has failed. Getting a guy like Buddy Hield won fix that.

16. PWR

PWR Member

Grayson Allen, SG
    Tyus Jones, PG
    Kelly Olynyk, PF/C

All of them shoot +40% from three.

Little Bit likes this.
  17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If you slide Sengun to the 4, you know how slow we would be upfront?

Corrosion likes this.
  18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Now we're talking.

19. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Trent Jr, Monk, Beasley. At least get some solid NBA rotation players who can shoot. Trent Jr and Beasley play on both ends. I don't trust the whole "star hunting" thing. I've learned to lower my expectations for sake of my sanity.

OremLK likes this.