1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 AL West

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by IdStrosfan, Oct 25, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I think so too. They just have to decide whether they want to trade for someone, make it a bigger signing or they want to see if a quality player slips through the cracks or bet on a rebound type candidate.

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree with this. The question is does this OF replace a guy like Meyers or compliment him?

The Cardinals need starting pitching and have a slew of buy-low outfield guys. Alec Burleson looks like he could be an odd man out based on his down year and other players on the roster.

He plays1B and both corner OF spots, is only 24 and plenty of upside.

They may give him up for a guy like J.P. France who will never have this much trade value again and they have to replace nearly an entire rotation.

Chas-Meyers-Tucker vs LHP

and

Burleson-Chas- Tucker vs RHP

Could be very good.

And Burleson could play 1B occassionally vs RHP with Yordan in LF and a chance for Altuve, Abreu, or Diaz to DH.

Hemingway, Wulaw Horn and Nook like this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

They also have several OF that are rule 5 eligible and they need to decide if they are potential contributors and/or likely to get lost for nothing.

Barber, Corona, Dirden, and Daniels are the big ones. Adolph and Brewer are also "toolsy" former highly regarded prospects.

raining threes likes this.
  4. raining threes

Somebody loves them some Meyers.

He's a starter on a team like the A's,Pirates etc...

No faith in Diaz? He needs to play 120 games.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep. I am generally agnostic regarding how players put up value.

The A's and Pirates did not have a Top 20 defensive CF that was a below average hitter. Teams like Texas and Arizona have those guys as a starter.

On Diaz, I don't see how wanting to save his knees by playing him somewhere other than at catcher sometimes is no faith.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m perfectly happy to trade meyers if we get commensurate value for a 3 war CF with 3 years of club control left which is what he is. That seems like a grade 50 prospect and a RP might be interesting and fair value. Call it Maton and Diaz part two.
    counterpoint- screw his knees. We have him for 5 more years and they aren’t breaking down before that. He helps us win the most by catching every (125 or 130) day.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Gonna use this post in this thread to say, “Go DBacks”

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Counter counter point. The postseason is played after the regualr season. I want him catching every day of the postseason and not have his bat suffer from a 120-130 games behind the plate. Give me 90ish games behind the plate and another 50-60 elsewhere. Maybe even 105 or so games behind the plate.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

only if he can hit from another position, which I’m sure he will once he knows he is going to play most games.

10. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

Fine with playing him most games. Win the Division early and then let him DH.