1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020: What Are You Watching - Corona Edition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

That's awesome. I still think of him as Adams from Deadwood.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Currently watching:

Rocket River

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well one positive from being at home all this time is I can catch up on and check out tons of new shows and movies.

Finished Season 3 of Lost in Space and Dragon Prince. Both great, smartly written, family shows. Trying to finish out the final season of Man in the High Castle and Season 2 of Jack Ryan. The first season of High Castle is still easily the best, and Jack Ryan's second go around has been disappointing; they've really dumbed down the plot. Chugging along with Clone Wars. I'm enjoying it but it hasn't been as engaging to me as Star Wars Rebels. Gravity Falls on Disney+ has been a nice re-watch with the family as well; I didn't pay attention much the first time my boys watched. At some point the wife and I need to get back into Vikings, and for that matter, Archer. We stalled on season 4 and end of season 6 for each. Both highly enjoyable shows, but we're just so far behind it's hard to find the motivation to catch up. Trying to finish Castlevania Season 3. It might be a little slow but I'm definitely digging the dialogue and the characters.

Undone on Amazon Prime - Excellent animation using rotoscoping techniques with a metaphysical story.
    Umbrella Academy - Loved it. Reminded me a little bit of The Watchmen.
    End of the F***ing World Season 2 - I think we finished this just before the pandemic hit, but it's worth mentioning. I may like Season 1 just a little better than 2, but the second season definitely completes the story, which is nice.
    Tiger King - Wow. Just wow.
    100 Humans - Interesting reality show where they perform social experiments on people. Sure the methodology isn't all that sound, but it's fun.
    90 Day Fiance: Before the 90 Days - Wow again. Trash tv at it's finance. It's a must watch trainwreck.
    Love is Blind - Another guilty pleasure type show. Waiting for these romances to come crashing down cause you know it's gonna happen.

The Platform - Very interesting concept and a movie that makes you feel a little uncomfortable watching. The ending is a bit too ambiguous though.
    Troop Zero - Nice, feel good story about acceptance
    Crouching Tiger: Sword of Destiny - Finally gave this one a chance. Horrible. Absolutely horrible.
    Ford vs Ferrari - Excellent film. Damon and Bale have good chemistry. Loved the racing. Not quite Oscar caliber I feel.
    Rocketman - Excellent and I loved the stylized approach to it.
    JoJo Rabbitt - Definitely met my expectations. A bit controversial but Taika Watiti I think was careful not to offend. The themes are powerful.

I've also been going back to watch the Sean Connery Bond films. Shamefully, I had never seen them. So far I've finished Dr. No and From Russia With Love. I can see why he defined the role and there's a nice simplicity to these early films and a touch of humor that's missing from the Dalton, Brosnan and Craig movies.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Speaking of Bosch, today I learned that the man eats his pancakes like this:

[​IMG]

Pure genius. Why have I never thought of this? Why doesn't everyone do this?

Rocket River and Surfguy like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Bad times at El Royale.

6/10 . The 1st half of the movie is kind of meh not bad just not anything really great the 2nd half is great and really pulls you in.

The music is top notch and really fits, Thor is pretty good in this movie and shows he has range interested to see what he does after the Marvel run.

6. Buck Turgidson

I really wanted to like that movie more than I did.

Best part of the beginning was Jon Hamm, in his ridiculous accent, telling everyone to "respect his accoutrement"

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Thank god for old fights -- it's the one sport I can really enjoy old reruns (boxing/mma/etc).

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I just wanted to point out that “My Life” starring Michael Keaton is available in the On Demand - Drama section of PlutoTV. This is an app I installed on Xbox One that provides free Live TV (their own channels) and On Demand movies and TV series. It’s actually a viable alternative to paying for TV and Netflix/Prime/Hulu imo. But, it does have commercials. Not sure what other platforms the app is on but I expect multiple.

Two Sandwiches, daywalker02 and B-Bob like this.
  9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

“Boy in the Plastic Bubble” starring John Travolta.

7.5 out of 10.

John really brings this one home with his innocent, sweet portrayal of a bubble boy. While kind of seemingly silly at times, this one pulls at the heart strings just enough for the period it was made in. Also, the girl that John fawns over and basically becomes his girlfriend in the film is super hot (what a rack as seen in the bikini top riding the horse). And, the way they just rode off on a horse together at the end of the film after the bubble boy breaks his quarantine at the risk of his own health given his lack of immunity to germs and viruses is just fitting for the times. I think we all feel a little like the bubble boy right about now. And, you can see the potential in John Travolta even in this early work that he was destined to be a star. Finally, his Dad was played by the Dad from the Brady Bunch so it was good seeing him again.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

David Elementary School in The Woodlands was named after the boy in the bubble.

https://david.conroeisd.net/department/our-school/
    [​IMG]

Surfguy likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah I expecting a completely different movie 30 minutes in kind of like a guy ritchie movie and then when Thor showed up it completely changed.

I actually started to care about the characters and when the singer told off Thor I was hooked.

Like I said not a great movie but it was interesting and suspenseful and had a semi plausible climax.

Did not really like the ending, too feel good.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Because a few of us actually like the taste of a good pancake versus drinking a glass of syrup? Just a wild guess.

Buck Turgidson and jiggyfly like this.
  13. val_modus

val_modus Member

Rewatched HBO and Spielberg/Hanks’ Band of Brothers series... what a master piece.

donkeypunch likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Started watching The Fall, have been hearing great things.

Made it through the 1st season and 1 episode of season 2, really slow and it has not picked up, don't know what all the fuss was about.

Did not know it was 3 seasons, does it get better?

15. Buck Turgidson

This is the whole ****ing point Bob! Put the proper amount of syrup on the bottom and you get a non-soggy pancake. Pour the syrup all over the top and, I'm sorry but that sucks.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So a pancake sitting in syrup will not get as soggy as pouring it on top?

Not sure how the physics of that works.

We need mythbusters on the case.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im failing to see the difference in those methods. One has a soggy sweet bottom, the other has a soggy sweet top. Both still soggy.

I just throw in some butterscotch schnapps to my batter of pancakes or crepes and call it a day.

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I think I'd prefer the syrup on bottom. The bottom gets to live in flavor town and it hits your tongue first when you eat it. The traditional way, you have to turn the pancake piece over to taste the syrup first.

SWTsig likes this.
  19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Lots and lots of “live” music, especially Phish’s “dinner and a movie” series every Tuesday night, Widespread Panic’s “never miss a Sunday show” every... well... Sunday, and the occasional Dead & Co. “one more Saturday night”

god bless couch tour.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Either DirecTV added the Smithsonian Channel without me knowing, or I've had it all this time, but I've been watching it non-stop.

Currently watching The Pacific War in Color. 8-part series covering pre-Pearl Harbor all the way to post-war Japan.

Also watching Arial America and Hell Below.