1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Historical fact?

I don't think you know what facts mean, it was not the entire argument and the fact that you say this shows you have a bias.

I did not vote for Biden because of electability, and many others on this site have said the same.

When I said zero sum game I meant Republicans vs Democrats, Obama tried to have a FDR type presidency and we got Trump and complete defiance from the republicans how do you see anybody else accomplishing this?

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  4. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Jim Acosta = FAKE NEWS :D

What's wrong with the way we've done it for the last XX years? You vote absentee if the circumstance calls for it. Otherwise, get out and vote. Show your voter ID (still can't figure out why anyone is against that).

Massive mail in balloting has a potential for abuse, and also leaves too much room for criticism about legitimacy. Unless there's another surge of COVID duriing the voting period, I don't understand why this has become a polarizing topic.

Here's Jerry Nadler's thoughts on it:

It's not a LEFT/RIGHT thing, IMO.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So the Corona virus is not a circumstance that calls for it?

And you are wrong what absentee voting means.

"Florida has "no-excuse absentee voting" which means "any voter can request a mail ballot without providing an excuse" according to the National Conference of State Legislatures h/t "

Reeko and RayRay10 like this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

I agree. My wife has an autoimmune disorder and should be able to vote by mail. And I should be able to also for her protection.

DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

"Entire" was too strong a word. You're right that people voted for him for other reasons, of course. But it was the primary reason people voted Biden as cited by pundits, advocates, and--most importantly--exit polls.

I knew what you meant by "zero sum game" and I addressed it. Re-read my post.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Why are you so hellbent for mail in voting? Do you plan to vote a couple of times?

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Can you admit you were wrong about what mail in voting means and stop deflecting by attacking me?

Who said I was hellbent for mail in voting?

I was just pointing out the fact that you obviously don't know what absentee voting means.

Just trying to be of service.

the11mingdynasty likes this.
  10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Speaking of Karen's (from the other thread), McEnany might be the quintessential candidate. Could you imagine what she would do if she was the girl in the dog video and told to put her dog on a leash by someone non-white? Her head might explode.

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

How about because it's unsafe to vote in public now and, almost certainly, in November? Getting rid of mail-in voting is the real fraud, in the face of that. Trump is trying to game the election by eliminating mail-in voting (and even the post office lol).

We all know the lunatics that don't think coronavirus is real will vote in public, and they're still free to do so. There is zero evidence that mail-in voting is prone to fraud. There is plenty of evidence that voting in person this year is dangerous and, for many people, deadly.

Trump is bent on this largely because voters over 65 won't want to risk their health and safety.

In the last cycle, he would have been all for accommodating them, but he's lost so many points with them during this pandemic that he doesn't want older voters to have a chance to vote this cycle. Voters over 65 that preferred him in significant numbers in 2016 now support Biden at even higher levels. That wasn't true before Trump botched the pandemic and showed he didn't care about their lives. It was when the 65+ voters started to turn that Trump started really pushing this mail-in fraud thing.

The real fraud is Trump, who lies for a living. But I'm wasting my time with you.

12. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I would agree with you on the last sentence. I don't say that to be a d!ck. I'm simply saying you're not going to say anything that changes my mind and I'm not going to say anything to change yours.

If mail in voting would benefit you because of the concerns you laid out. I'm all for it. My concern is the potential for abuse. And there is very real potential and probability that there will be abuse. I don't have the answers on how to solve that. I'm not really hearing any either. That would probably be a worthwhile discussion by the powers that be.

I don't see it as Trump trying to game the election. I see it just the opposite. He's trying to reduce the risk, IMO.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Can you share any studies showing widespread abuse of mail-in voting? Must be lots of studies, since mail-in voting has been used extensively in the United States. In fact, I believe the current president and his press secretary have used mail-in ballots. Sharing such studies might convince others there is a danger of abuse.

havoc1 and RayRay10 like this.
  14. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I don't recall stating the definitions of either. They are two different things. So, provide me with an example where I laid out the definition of mail in voting and I'll consider that I might be wrong. Better yet, nobody cares what you and I are arguing about, so ... let it go.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You are delusional. The Criminal in Chief is all about cheating to win.

DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  16. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

What you don't believe your leader, Jerry. I posted a link. It wasn't from twitter...sorry about that.

17. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

That's like your opinion, man.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Trump can come to florida to play golf and watch a rocket launch, why can't he come to vote? Why does he need to mail in a ballot - is he planning to vote a couple of times?

Why does Trump want to deny the privilege he has to other Americans?

You know why. The same reason you want to - to win the election. But as you saw in Wisconsin, these tactics will backfire.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

You guys aren't in the least bit worried about the Republican's pulling out some shady ****? I'd be more worried if I was a Dem.

I'm not emotionally vested in the whole mail in vote thing. I'm making an observation that I believe that it has a huge potential for abuse. Since I'm stating my own opinion, I don't feel the need to produce 'studies' to back it up. It's like..my opinion man :p How about @NewRoxFan you produce some studies that back up that there is NO potential for fraud? That would be something, wouldn't it. The search function in the Twitter up is top right.

20. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

It's rich, ironic, and hypocritical for trying to push this whole whole voter mail-in fraud narrative from the President and his supporters (which isn't even a material thing), while the right continues to gerrymander and partake in voter suppression.

It's wild to me that the side making all the rules/stacking the deck in their favor has the audacity to complain about it and play the victim card. But I guess as long as their supporters eat it up and blindly follow, why not?

RayRay10 likes this.