1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Even though it benefited them by having him have a contract with deferred money, to me I can't see the owner being down paying him $102 mil and then additional money for the final 2 years of his contract. Lets say they were only willing to eat $5 mil per year, would that be enough for Houston to make it work ?

*ok I just looked at who the owner was for the Nats. Perhaps $40 mil is nothing to him so maybe he is willing to eat that to make a trade work/ get better prospects.

2. HTown2017Champs

I know Matt Boyd has a lot of haters, but he had a nice day in Baltimore today. 6 IP, 1 BB, 8 K. Yes, it was against the O's, but those are good numbers with good command still, in a hitter's park (so much for his "bad home/road splits"). He was the top prospect sent to DET from TOR in the 2015 David Price trade, and is putting together a great season this year after breaking out last year. He's also under control for 2 more years, so proven rotation insurance with our pending FA's and in case our prospects don't pan out. Fisher would be a good piece to center the package around, along with Toro, IMO. Maybe add in a AAAA piece or two (like Armenteros).

3. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Disagree that Matt Boyd broke out last year, it is certainly this year. If the Astros think that this year will be the norm for him, then trade away, but it will be a buy high situation, so I am not sure Detriot will be stoked about a package centered around Fisher. I am not sure, but I think he has 3 more years of control, but Boyd was definitely not the top piece going to Detroit. That was Daniel Norris. It is interesting though, that all 3 prospects sent to Detroit have debuted in the majors

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea I can't see Fisher as the main piece in a big trade either, even with teams less likely to move their top prospects than ever, Fisher doesn't really fit the bill there. I could see him being a #2 piece. JBB, Fisher, low level guy for Boyd works for me

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

good lord this sucks

6. HTown2017Champs

Apologies, was kind of overreacting to that day when Cole had a disaster outing and Whitley got his ERA up to >12.
    Still want Boyd, for sure. Big fan of him, and he's controllable for 2.5 more years.

7. Buck Turgidson

Nobody hates him, and he'd be a fine 4/5th starter just like a Mike Fiers or any number of other veterans.

Get him and also get a real playoff starter. I'm all for it.

You want to talk serious?

Tucker
    JBB or Ivey
    somebody

talk to the NYMets

#167 Buck Turgidson, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Wulaw Horn and Fyreball like this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

MLBTR noting Toronto is ready to sell. How about this for a blockbuster:

Astros get:
    SP Marcus Stroman
    1B Justin Smoak
    IF Freddy Galvis

Blue Jays get:
    RHP Corbin Martin
    RHP JB Bukauskas
    DH/1B Tyler White
    RHP Bryan Abreu
    RHP Cristian Javier

Jays have an infield glut and no use for Smoak who is a rental. Stroman is a free agent after next season. They need near-ready pitching prospects to go with their emerging core of young position players. Astros have a need for a good 3rd starter, and they could use an upgrade at 1B/DH along with a stopgap veteran infielder to serve as insurance against the injury bug. Astros have a stock of pitching prospects.

Resulting playoff roster:

CF Springer
    LF Brantley
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    1B Smoak
    RF Reddick (or Alvarez or Tucker)
    DH Gurriel (or Alvarez or Tucker)
    C Chirinos
    Bench: Marisnick, Stassi, Galvis, Stubbs
    Rotation: Verlander, Cole, Stroman, Miley
    Bullpen: Peacock, Osuna, Pressly, Harris, Rondon, James, Valdez, Devenski
    Extras: Diaz, McHugh, Kemp, Rodgers, Tucker, Mayfield, Fisher, Straw, Smith, McCullers, Armenteros, Deetz, Guduan, Perez, Reed

#168 Snake Diggit, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    texans1095 likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

That is not a bad trade possibility, although I would rather try to hold onto Abreu and let them keep Smoak and Galvis if possible. Abreu arguably has as much or more upside as Martin. Abreu needs to master fastball command but he is extremely difficult to hit.

10. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Although we have an immediate need to fill that IF slots, I’m not sure that Galvis or Smoak upgrade our offense once the big boys are healthy.

Seems like an overpay for Stroman.

11. HTown2017Champs

Love the idea of trading for Smoak, big fan of his. Should be pretty cheap as he's a rental. My plan would be to use him to replace not Gurriel, but White. Give him the majority of 1B at bats, and keep Gurriel at 3B, and Bregman at SS until this injury bug passes (Correa is the main one in mind). Smoak has vastly improved his plate discipline, and is now taking almost as many walks as strikeouts, and has 11 homers so far this year. Also, the Astros seem not to be too confident in Alvarez at 1B, given that he rarely plays there in AAA, even with Reed/Jones not being that great, and a call-up coming soon. Time to move on from White. Highly doubt we trade for Smoak, but if we do, he'd contribute in a positive way and definitely stick around in the lineup in some way even after the injury bug and Super 2 are over (at least I'd think).

DFA White, then trade Armenteros or Sneed (they love our AAAA pitchers LOL) and a (non-Tucker/Alvarez) piece for their OF (IF is a logjam, OF needs improvement). Should be enough for a rental 1B/DH type guy with those numbers.

everyday eddie likes this.
  12. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Alvarez is almost guaranteed to be added this week. White is most likely gone, unless our FO really wants to wait until we reach full health and sends down one of the pups.

13. HTown2017Champs

What do you think Kemp's status will be once Super 2 and the injury bug are both gone? Hate to say it, but as much as we all love his heart, soul, and spirit (myself included), he's quietly batting about as low as White, and will lose a lot of playing time when Altuve and Diaz are back, and Alvarez is called up. I think his days in Houston may be coming to an end soon. Sad, but this is a business.

14. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

He at least offers defensive flexibility. He has a lot more to offer than White. I don't see Kemp being DFA'd. He will be insurance until the year is up, then we likely attempt to trade him.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  15. ARA71197

ARA71197 Member

Luhnow going to be bold and get Scherzer and Doolittle from the Nats... can settle for Stroman or dream bigger. Don’t doubt Luhnow. If anything, a deal will fall apart due to medicals or owner haha

whiskeyred and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

So in the end, you think nothing will happen?

17. ARA71197

ARA71197 Member

No, there will be a trade or 2 for sure. Crane and Luhnow on same page unlike the Rockets with Fertitta and Morey lol

18. Buck Turgidson

What does Justin Smoak do for the Astros if they are planning on calling up Alvarez?

I've wanted Doolittle since way back when he was on the A's.

Joe Joe likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Kemp is batting the league average for a 2B and a lot better than White. Not sure he survives the trade deadline, but he's an MLB player.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Smoak plays 1B, Alvarez 60-70% DH, 30-40% LF.

Like Doolittle. I keep hoping Nationals continue to struggle as there are a lot of great players on that team, but no depth unlike the Astros.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.