1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raining threes

What's Reddick hitting today? .320

Gurriel = .275?

You sure are setting the bar high for Alvarez.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Holy OF defense, Batman!

Fun Fact: Michael Brantley has played 8958 innings in MLB as an outfielder. Zero of those were spent in RF. I didn't believe it at first so I checked a 2nd website, but yep.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is what it is. I think Alvarez will be able to hit, but I don't think Alvarez should be gift wrapped ABs. If he falters, he gets less PT. I think that happens regardless of whether Astros add Rendon.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Taking away ABs from Reddick, who is producing a 135 wRC+, is probably not a good way to improve the offense.

Madmanmetz, Smacktle and Astrofan59 like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hinch mentioned that in spring when he played Brantley in RF. Currently, one of the Astros OFs is playing DH almost 60% of the time. With Alvarez, this would be about 90% if not more (i.e., see this defense about once every ten days or even less frequently). DH is basically a place for starting OFs to rest.

Rendon's RC+ is 182. If Reddick can keep hitting like he has been, I'm fine with him getting plate appearances over Alvarez. I don't think it will happen. However, if you don't think Alvarez can hit better than Reddick, you should be all for adding Rendon for the Harper deal plus White and Kemp. Reddick and guys that can't hit as well as Reddick should not block Rendon.

Granted, I get that adding Rendon might be overkill. Considering how good Astros are, it will take overkill to substantially alter World Series Odds.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Eh, I'm betting the under on 135 (hell, I will be the under on 120) for wRC+ between now and the end of the year. And I like Reddick.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s looking like the Mets are going to fall apart. Wheeler and Synergaard look like potential trade chips. I could also see Houston going after Lugo or Diaz. NY needs young pitching and doesn’t appear to have a long term answer at C or CF. Synergaard for Josh James, JB Bukauskas, Rogelio Armenteros, and Derek Fisher?

No Worries likes this.
  8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Syndergaard has been my dream target. I do not believe your proposal gets it done. We also aren't a great trade partner because our top 3 prospects are Whitley who is struggling, Tucker that plays a position they don't really need, and Alvarez that also doesn't fit their needs. I think the only way it would work is Corbin Martin and Josh James as the headliners. That also might not be enough because the Padres are shopping hard for a top of the rotation starter and have a better system. I don't see the Mets accepting Whitley as the center piece with a 10 plus ERA in AAA right now. That's a tough sell to your ownership and fan base.

Lugo went on the IL today with a shoulder problem. Wheeler is a rental and I think a possible back up plan for Luhnow if he can't get a guy with multiple years of control.

9. Buck Turgidson

...and Cespedes just blew up his ankle in a "ranch accident".

raining threes likes this.
  10. raining threes

I doubt they trade James. He's too valuable in the bullpen. Just like I doubt they trade Alvarez. I could see Tucker as the headliner in a Syndergaard trade, plus trading a couple of young arms like Buskauskas and Deetz plus a throw in like Reed.

11. Buck Turgidson

I don't see the Stros trading anyone important who they think can help them this year, unless there's some sort of blockbuster in the works for a non-rental.

12. raining threes

I would consider Syndergaard a blockbuster.

Madmanmetz, No Worries and Wulaw Horn like this.
  13. raining threes

LMAO

14. Buck Turgidson

Make it happen.

15. Buck Turgidson

Even better...

Cespedes' agent at the time he signed his current contract (this is the last year, iirc) is now the Mets' GM.

#115 Buck Turgidson, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I would be surprised if the Astros don’t add a catcher at the deadline. I don’t expect it to be a massive move.

17. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

It would mean cutting ties with Stassi, and I would expect our pitchers to have a big say in that, but I could see that happen too.

18. Nook

Nook Member

We will be running into that issue with several players. I can see the argument for Stassi staying, but I still see us getting someone like Maldonado.

19. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I think catchers have more beyond-the-surface value than other positions. A lot based on chemistry with the pitchers....

We are in an interesting spot with our OF. So much depth. It would be nice to see Tucker and Alvarez, but probably will only happen with White being DFA’d.

raining threes likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Why, other than Chirinos health insurance? Who would/could you get that is noticeably better than Stassi?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.