1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTown2017Champs

This exactly! Alvarez not getting time at 1B in RR despite Reed and Jones not playing so hot is telling IMO. Luhnow also specifically said in an interview he sees him as someday being a good "MMP left fielder". As I've said, my idea is Smoak to 1B, Gurriel to 3B, and Bregman to SS for the next 5-6 weeks or so (until Correa comes back). Smoak is a big upgrade over White, our primary 1B during the injury bug, and evne though Gurriel is a little faster, and has better contact, Smoak has waaaay more power, and takes more walks.

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not going to kid myself and think I know a ton about MLB trades but my eyeballs tell me that we need to acquire two pieces before the trading deadline ends.

1. We need another SP. Whitley will not make it here this year and Corbin Martin isn't going to cut it. Miley and Peacock have done a fantastic job and honestly I didn't think they would have pitched as well as they have. With that said, you add a legit 3rd starter to set yourself for the post season.

2. We need another bat in this line up. I know prior to the injuries, we were one of the best offenses but as we have seen so far, our depth doesn't have a ton of pop. White is awful, Kemp is doing the damn thing at 2b but weak at the plate. I for one am in the let's bring Alaverz up but there isn't a guarantee he will produce at this level. Adding another bat imo is an insurance policy if we lose someone for the year.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On 1, I think Astros try their hardest to get a SP.
    On 2, Astros biggest problem right now is clutch hitting. I'd like them to add a big bat, but it has nothing to do with current offense.

everyday eddie and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yuli and White...

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

White has 2 RBIs in the last 7 days. Bregman, Astros RBI leader in last 7 days, has 3. Not a great team showing offensively, but still good enough.

#185 Joe Joe, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Look, I’m almost always in favor of adding a bat but this is just silly.
    There’s literally nowhere to put a bat with a healthy team if you want tucker or Alvarez to have any chance of playing.
    I mean, I guess 1b if league average Yuli hitting 8th in the playoffs is some sort of bridge too far for you. But why waste the capital to make Yuli a bench guy?

Springer
    Altuve
    Bregman
    Brantley
    Correa
    tucker/Alvarez
    Yuli
    Reddick
    Chirinos

I mean- ****- the only way you could upgrade that lineup would be an all star C or RF, or a borderline all star 1B.

If neither tucker nor Alvarez is capable of being above average Díaz is a 10 percent better than league average bat, that I suppose you’d hit 8th.

None of this could in any rational world be construed as a problem.

The only need is an axe type pitcher to slot 3rd in the playoffs. If we are talking about more than that I guess give me a hammer in the bullpen so Will Harris can be my 6th inning guy and joe smith my situational righty. But that’s really quibbling.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yep. Given the arms without options I don’t even really see room for a reliever. Add a starting pitcher, aim high. Synergaard, Kluber, or Scherzer, with Stroman, Bumgarner, Boyd, Minor, Lynn, or Wheeler as backup options.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Right? So does Yordan and Yuli. I just don't see how Smoak fits in and helps this team.

swoosh1014 likes this.
  9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’d probably add one more RP for the 7th inning, but that’s not a necessity before the deadline imo.

I like that Harris seems to be Harris again, but still there want someone else.

#189 mikol13, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Smoak is better than Yuli.

CheezeyBoy22 and HTown2017Champs like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Well sure, so are lots of people.

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Lots of people are better than Yuli. That’s what happens when your bat is slightly above average. But if you are hitting 8 in a fully healthy and stocked playoff lineup I don’t see all that much benefit in “upgrading” at all, so unless they are able to move on from Yuli (or Reddick who I know has been good but I don’t trust to keep this up) I see no reasonable avenue nor need to improve the offense. It’s already basically maximized once either one of tucker or Yordan come up and can hit

13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

There’s never a time where another bullpen hammer can’t be used, but yeah, I think we’ve got enough. Literally 3rd ace is only thing that can be improved on this fully healthy team. There are a handful of teams that are in the playoffs who would have a better game 3 starter than us imo.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros are good enough at every aspect of the game. Whether SP, a bat, or relief ace, it is all about luxury and just redundancy to reduce injury risk.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He might already be in the team, Joe Smith.

lnchan likes this.
  16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If we were just adding him off the street, ok cool

But why give up assets to upgrade from Yuli to Smoak? Doesn't make sense to me

lnchan and King1 like this.
  17. HTown2017Champs

My thought was maybe a AAAA pitcher or two (Armenteros, Sneed) and maybe Ferguson (if he can at least be a bandaid in their weak-hitting OF). Part of trades, IMO, is to help clear the logjam. Smoak is just a rental, has power, and helps clear TOR's IF logjam, plus they love our AAAA pitchers (Thornton, Hauschild, Paulino). Armenteros opens up a spot on the 40-man for Alvarez, too. And, as I've said, Smoak is more of a replacement for White (just DFA), and a complement to Gurriel.

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Framber, James, Rodgers, and I believe Devenski have options.

Smith and McHugh will take two of their spots. It's possible the Astros could add a reliever. However, I see it as a backup to the backup plan if they can't land a controllable starter or a rental starter to be the number 3.

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Don’t really see any rental SP. if we go that route I want someone with club control to slide in to Cole’s spot next year so LMJ or Whitley is our 3. Kluber, Thor, Tyler- someone like that.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros get:
    SP Robbie Ray
    RP Greg Holland

Diamondbacks get:
    RHP JB Bukauskas
    OF Derek Fisher
    LHP Framber Valdez

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.