1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Texans Training Camp / Preseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jul 21, 2019.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Clearly you can tell with BOB that there are moments where he's just like, "get this ****er off my team!" He doesn't care about asset management or extracting the most value from each and every one of his transactions. Handing a hothead like that the keys to the nukes is just ridiculous. What a joke of a franchise.

2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Buck, if you question the Texans you should go root for the Cowboys. It's the law.

3. Buck Turgidson

My dad grew up a Cowboys fan, Bob Lilly was his hero. I grew up in Houston, so I wanted to be Billy Doran.

raining threes, mikol13 and BMoney like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Well put my man, sadly there will the BoB defenders who will defend this mediocre franchise to the very end.

BigShasta likes this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

If carter shows he can handle the slot then KeKe might be out of a job next season.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Fantasma Negro

Carter already showed that last season. Keke has earned nothing

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He's quickly earning the "injury prone" label.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  9. Raven

Raven Member

But he works for The Texans, the land of mediocrity where job security and results aren't even remotely connected.

raining threes likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bill O'Brien at Friday morning press conference: 'It was a very productive training camp.'

'We have a lot of moving parts right now.'

'Any decision is made in the name of the team. These are difficult days for the players that are eventually released.'

On Joe Webb: 'Significant foot injury, not sure extent of it. Great teammate.'

Bill O'Brien said team is discussing whether they will sign a quarterback with Joe Webb foot injury

On Jadeveon Clowney: 'I know he's been working. He said he's in the best shape of his life.'

Bill O'Brien on Jadeveon Clowney: 'Always about what's best for your team from value standpoint, always going to be well thought out. Had numerous discussions with many teams relative to many players'

'Anytime he wants to sign the tender, we can talk.'

Asked about being GM and coach: 'There's a team of people working very hard.' References Chris Olsen, Matt Bazirgan, Jack Easterby, Cal McNair

On Jadeveon Clowney: "He's a good football player."

Bill O'Brien on if the Texans want Jadeveon Clowney and if he likes him: 'It's not a matter of want, it's a matter of difference of opinion on value relative to the contract. It has nothing to do with want. This is where the business end of things comes in.'

On Keke Coutee and if he will play against Saints: 'I think Keke is trending in the right direction, still not sure about the first game. I think I was unequivocal at banquet about him not playing. I can change my mind.'

On letting players be themselves and also get the full buy-in approach he wants: 'It's something I've really worked to improve at over the years. I really do believe in these guys being able to be themselves and express themselves.'

'I think it's important in this day and age that guys have ability to express themselves.'

Bill O'Brien on if Jadeveon Clowney doesn't want to sign tender, doesn't want to accept a trade: 'That's up to him.'

On building culture: 'I think we're on the right track, but culture doesn't happen overnight. Culture is about people, having the right people that really care about teamwork, care about the city, care about social issues.'

On Jadeveon Clowney: 'The ball is in his court.'

On the Patriots' culture: 'They're the standard bearer, six championships. We have a culture we think we're on the right track with. I think it's about the people'

'We have some health issues on the line I think they're all trending in the right direction.'

On Vyncint Smith-Tyron Johnson competition: 'There's a lot of guys battling for the fifth, sixth, seventh receiver position.' Noted people don't know how many they're keeping

Bill O'Brien again references tight end Jerell Adams' strong training camp

On Charles Omenihu when asked if he can be a standup outside linebacker, which Romeo Crennel has said: 'Versatile skill set'

On Will Fuller and if he expects him to play in first game: 'I do. He's had a good camp.'

Kahale Warring still in concussion protocol

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Roster cuts coming in:
    Jermaine Ponder
    Gimel President
    Javi Edwards
    Josh Ferguson
    Jamal Davis II
    Bryan Anger
    Jordan Ta'amu
    Jesse Aniebonam
    A.J. Hendy
    Christian DiLauro
    Malcolm Pridgeon
    Maurquice Shakir

#393 J.R., Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I thought Anger would make the team

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...-Texans-will-look-like-vs-Saints-14402749.php

Wilson: (Who will they keep at RB?) Duke Johnson, Cullen Gillaspia, Taiwan Jones, Buddy Howell, one rookie--probably Crockett. ... Don't need both Jones & Howell. Guy that might make the team for a moment & then be headed for the PS or elsewhere is Crockett. They'd like to have Higdon on the PS. One of those rookies will be around on the PS or 53. If they don't do a trade, which is unlikely, they'll claim someone. What Crockett did was good but not so good you can't find someone more accomplished.

McClain: Longer this goes, less likely he'll get traded to the team they got a trade worked out with for a LT. They won't trade that LT at the last minute. If he holds out, he'll be holding out or playing here. He met with the Dolphins a month ago. He didn't want to go to Miami. They wanted to try to talk him into it. He wants to go to Philly or Seattle. There's more & more chance he'll be back if doesn't sign the tender Sunday or Monday.

McClain: I think they'll put Kahale Warring on IR. Who is the starter at TE & do they keep 4?

Wilson: Darren Fells is the starting TE. When they're in double TEs, it'll be Jordan Akins. Jordan Thomas had a disappointing offseason. ... They'd love to keep Jerrell Adams but is probably a luxury.

McClain: WR: Do they keep Vyncent Smith or Tyron Johnson?

Wilson: I'm of the opinion Vyncent regained the ground he was starting to lose. Tyron did it in practice but didn't show up as much in games. Tyron is newer. He needs polish & time on the PS. He's not ready to contribute in games. He dropped some passes. He needs to keep working at it. Vyncent adds more value & think they're more comfortable with him.

McClain: If they cut Joe Webb, it's temporary. He saved their butt this preseason. If he's cut, he may come back. OL, if everyone was healthy, it'd be easy to figure out. Good chance Davenport & Rankin may not make the team. Let's forget about a Clowney trade & Kalil is healthy, Fulton is healthy. How many guys do they keep inside?

Wilson: It's Roderick Johnson. He has done nothing but help himself. He's come a long ways. He's always had the talent. I see a steadiness. Davenport missed that backside block, Miller tore his ACL, he almost got Deshaun hurt. Taco ate his lunch. Looked like he made no progress from last year when he was a human turnstile. I think you have to cut him. You can't have confidence in him protecting your QB. Something bad is going to happen, it's a matter of when. Rankin, I think they'll cut him. He really hasn't shown much. Kelemete, I'd keep him & rate him above where Mancz is coming off injury. Kelemete has fallen out of favor. He's not extremely happy here. I can see something happen there. If he's here, it's tenuous. I'm skeptical about Kalil's ability to stay healthy. I think you'll be seeing Roderick Johnson play a lot of LT for the Texans this year.

McClain: So the backups inside: Kelemete, Mancz, Scharping. They will be in the market for more tackles. I've been saying they got a deal worked out for Tunsil but if this goes into next week, that trade will be off.

Wilson: Clowney has at times gone back to Miami but not meet with the Dolphins; to work out with his trainer. He's playing duck & hide here in the suburbs of Houston from agents. Bus Cook came back & tried to patch things up. He was here this week. A lot of people are chasing that business. An agent might be giving him advice when to sign & that sort of things. He's flying on his own, he's his own agent right now. He has to get someone to deal with teams, maybe even the Texans. What would a meeting or phone call be like between him & Bill O'Brien? JD will vent "Why you trying to trade me?" McClain: Because you wanted too much money. Wilson: I think it's awkward & that's putting it kindly. Can they squash it and say, let's work together this season, I won't tag you after this season and you can be free?

McClain: Don't think they'd do that. They did that with Dunta Robinson & that backfired. More likely they'd trade him before the next draft. O'Brien doesn't talk to Clowney. Clowney spends all year with Crennel & the defensive coaches. Longer it goes, more likely he is to be back.

Wilson: They have to have a conversation & clear the air. A lot of it comes back to lack of communication. My understanding is, despite what Bill O'Brien says, those conversations have not happened, they're not great, the communication isn't good & you have an unhappy player. It's become a matter of principle too. It's not only money involved here. It's a battle of wills. You were the top recruit, top pick, played here, had some injuries, some maturity things, get past those, make three pro bowls and from his way of thinking, now I'm supposed to get paid. This is my time. What else do I need to do? From O'Brien's perspective, you haven't done enough, we're not comfortable doing it & that's just it. There's a huge disconnect how one perceives himself & how the organization views him. Everyone was led to believe it'll be fine, he'll just skip camp & then show up. That was the tune the Texans were singing but at the very same time had granted authority to the Dolphins to meet with him. He talked to Chris Grier & met with Brian Flores. He's been sending texts. If he comes back & other teams feel settled and don't want to do it, Texans may be in an unenviable position and what they shouldn't do is dump him because it's gone too far, too distracting.

McClain: They wouldn't do that. They aren't trading him unless it's a LT. Bottom line is he wanted more money, like a premier pass rusher & he's not. Now he's got a new agent & they'll see after the season because he can't sign.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

17. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

No excuses, this has to be done. The only reason he shouldn’t be on the Texans is he doesn’t want to be.

Rudyc281, Cstyle42 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I he still any good?

19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Looked damn good to me in preseason. Bills trippin.

20. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

We have Duke Johnson and......nothing to else.