1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the second half of the Lakers-Nuggets Game 5 -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2019 NBA Finals: Golden State Warriors vs. Toronto Raptors

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 25, 2019.

?

Golden State Warriors vs. Toronto Raptors

Poll closed May 30, 2019.
  1. Warriors in 4

8.9%
  2. Warriors in 5

28.3%
  3. Warriors in 6

25.6%
  4. Warriors in 7

3.3%
  5. Raptors in 7

24.4%
  6. Raptors in 6

8.3%
  7. Raptors in 5

0.6%
  8. Raptors in 4

0.6%
  1. biina

biina Member

Who have the raptors signed in the past few days that I am not aware of? cos you most surely cant be thinking of Vanvleet, Powell and Ibaka? The rest of the roster are scrubs like Meeks, Miller, Linsanity, and McCaw (who GS cut) who probably wont get minutes except for garbage time and severe foul trouble.

Portland had a better bench with Seth Curry, Hood, Turner, Loenard and Collins, and yet they couldnt overcome GS

Nurse essentially played an 8-man rotation against the Bucks while Kerr has shown the willingness to go very deep into his rotation both against Rockets and Blazers.

Raptors bench are one of the few that GS backups can beat. If the Raptors starters cant get it done, the bench cant bail them out

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. RocketsPower

RocketsPower Member

Warriors are going to win, but I think this series is going to be close.
    Raptors have the most lengthy and athletic defenders so no more easy buckets in the paint by Livingston, Draymond and Looney. No more easy drives and offensive rebounds by Draymond. And KD will no longer be defended by smaller defenders (like Pat or PJ).
    Warriors struggled to keep Montrezl from scoring in the paint so I can see them struggling against defending Gasol, Siakam and Kawhi.
    Kawhi will be going at Steph every possession so I can see Steph and Klay getting into foul trouble.

ramotadab and chadyang like this.
  3. BigBum

BigBum Member

His uncle said
    Regardless of champ, kawhi is leaving Toronto.

chadyang, daywalker02 and hakeem94 like this.
  4. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Who does Golden State have when Iguodala is a starter? Livingston is a shadow of his old self, same for Bogut. Technically Loony is a reserve, but he's basically the guy playing the most center minutes so I'm counting him as one of their five best players with Cousins and Durant out. The rest of the Warriors' bench is pretty weak--capable of having some nice moments, but hardly consistently decent.

Portland's starters aren't anywhere near as good overall as Toronto's. I wouldn't expect their bench to be enough to overtake Golden State.

ramotadab likes this.
  5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Boring series.....not the good boring either...

Wake me up when O’Brien runs it up the middle on 1st & 10 and 3rd n long.

ramotadab likes this.
  6. shlhl

shlhl Member

Warriors will bomb three and win in 6

7. biina

biina Member

Warriors bench are weak but they are still better than Raptors.

Livingston, Cook, Mckinnie, Jerebko, Bell, Jones, and Bogut are still better and deeper than VanVleet & co
    The quality of Portland's starter is irrelevant.

GSW bench matched the productivity of Portland bench over the 4 games with 130pts each (+8 in Game 1, -8 in Game 2, and equal in games 3 & 4).

Raptors bench is weaker and not as deep as Portland, and thus there is no basis to think they would out perform GSW bench where the Blazers have failed.

Like I said earlier, if Raptors' starters cannot get the job done, their bench have very little chance of bailing them out against GS

ramotadab likes this.
  8. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Most commenters here have not watched enough Raptor games. They are much better than the credit they are given. I do think the Warriors are better but their current version is not unbeatable. The Warriors have shown signs of cracks and Toronto needs to win the first game to have them show again. If Toronto wins the first game I think they have a good shot at it. Toronto is better built for this Warrior team than any previos squad (Embid/Giannis) they played in the playoffs.

9. jayland

jayland Member

If the Warriors somehow end up losing to the Raptors, Trump should close the northern border and not let the Warriors back into the country as punishment.

Also Lin, aka the full time bench cheerleader, might actually see some minutes in the finals if the Warriors blow out the Raptors in some games.

10. biina

biina Member

If Durant was playing, then Raptors might have had a better chance cos Kawhi would be guarding Durant and limiting GS offensive options. Without KD, the focus of GS offense shift to Curry and Klay, and that is a very difficult matchup for Lowry and Green.

Then comes the interesting question of who does Kawhi guard? It would be a waste to put him on Iggy and putting him on Draymond would be interesting but also waste him on the perimeter (given how poor of a shooter Green is). Who ever Kawhi guards, Siakam gets the other while Gasol likely pairs up primarily with Looney.

This is still manageable on paper, but the heavy movement by KDless GS, forces switches that creates mismatches. Also the relenting pace aim to take big men out of it.

On the other side, I dont see the matchup that favors Raptors heavily enough. Kawhi vs Iggy/Draymond/Klay should be interesting and maybe Siakam and Gasol can dominate the boards. Overall, I just dont see the firepower to threaten GS.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What are the Vegas Odds that Kawhi actually stays? Below average.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I won't Vote . . .. cause I really have absolutely no dog in the fight

We'll see

Rocket River

14. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

When did he say that? I read an interview with him yesterday where he said they aren't even thinking about FA right now...

Jontro and ramotadab like this.
  15. Outlier

Outlier Member

On his sisters instagram page, she posted a live video while someone yelled that he wont even be there next year. She deleted it now.

bmelo and hakeem94 like this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Warriors in 5. GSW rule the NBA and will break the Raptors will in 5 games

17. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

That was an unexpected result, though. Golden State's bench productivity has been bad all season. Even Kerr, a guy who likes to play everyone, didn't trust them until he lost Durant. Just because they had an unusually good 4 games against Portland doesn't mean that they're better than Portland's bench and, thus, better than the Raptors' bench.

What makes Cook any better than Lin, for example? Both are marginal NBA players who barely played (until Durant got hurt, in Cook's case). With Iguodala and Loony among the Warriors' five best players, Golden State has no one on their bench the quality of Ibaka, Powell or Vanvleet. So, sure, the Raptors go only 8 deep...the Warriors go only 5 deep. After that, both teams are relying on scrubs. 8 is significantly deeper than 5.

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The raptors are going to defeat the GS without Durant.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Raptors have better Support Players than the Rockets/Blazers/Clippers

Curry vs Lowry - Interesting but expect Curry to be better of the two
    Klay vs. Denny Green - Denny has become invisible. But still plays competent defense - Expect Klay to take this one
    Iggy or McKinnie vs. Kawhi - Kawhi should win this one
    Draymond vs Siakam - Siakam should play this to at least an even - I don't expect Siakam to lose his sh*t like Capela
    Looney vs. Gasol - Gasol should dominate this position but one never knows

Raptors Bench - VanVleet/Ibaka/Powell - If they play like last series it will be incredible

Rocket River

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

GSW has the best chemistry in the last 3-5 years. Not close.

If Durant and Cousins come back and play a role, there is no doubt who is the biggest favorite.

I dun mind Kawhi winning it all by himself and maybe with Van Vleet but dun expect him to be back even with a ship.