1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 16, 2019.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I was excited when Forrest Whitley fell to the Astros.

I couldn't watch the Draft, due to living out of the country Pakistan, usually sleeping at that time.
    When I found out Seth Beer was selected, I was so excited, he was projected as a #1 pick in Mock Draft.

When the Astros already had Carlos Correa, every dumb Analyst including some here said Alex Bregman is not a need, Carlos Correa would block him.

It was perfect strategy to select Alex Bregman play SS during the minors, play SS, 3B, LF in AA, AAA
    Alex Bregman is a quick learner, should be a Gold Glove winner 2x at 3B, media can't admit they're wrong on Bregman, their votes are not going to his defense, only offense.

Regardless of Position, Pick the Best Player Possible. Some Players you can tell are going to be Great.

#81 rockets1995, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    raining threes likes this.
  2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I’ve barely been able to keep up with NBA draft prospects, let alone football or baseball prospects. That’s why I come to this (sub)forum more often than the GARM!

3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The numbers he put up last year was insane and I thought he was going to get it. With that said, dude from the A's was ridiculous and it could have either way.

4. Buck Turgidson

I love Bregman, everybody loves Bregman, but defensively he's not close to being on the same level as Chapman. To be fair to Bregman, nobody else really is either.

Nook likes this.
  5. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For sure and i do feel Bregman has regressed a little this year at third base.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Nolan Arenado and Manny Machado come to mind, though Machado keeps trying to pretend he's a SS.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

They have Kyle McCann (C, Georgia Tech) going two picks before Isaiah Campbell (RHP, Arkansas), so McCann might be a possibility for the Astros in the second. Woot. Woot.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Updated dream mock:

Round 1, Pick 32: SS Logan Davidson, Clemson
    Round 2, Pick 68: C Kyle McCann, Ga. Tech
    Round 3, Pick 106: OF Thomas Dillard, Mississippi
    Round 4, Pick 136: RHP Tyler Baum, UNC
    Round 5, Pick 166: RHP Drake Fellows, Vandy
    Round 6, Pick 196: OF Jake Mangum, Miss. St.
    Round 7, Pick 226: LHP Dalton Fowler, NW Miss CC
    Round 8, Pick 256: RHP Mason Studstill, FGCU
    Round 9, Pick 286: SS David Hamilton, Texas
    Round 10, Pick 316: RHP Darius Vines, CSU Bakersfield

BHannes2BHonest and No Worries like this.
  10. prospecthugger

I want them to take a flier on Tyler Dyson and Graham Ashcraft (if he'll sign).

Drey Jameson intrigues me in the McCullers/Bukauskas mold, but it sounds like he would have to be a first round pick.

11. Buck Turgidson

I'm not sure that McCann can stick at C, just from what I watched in the last week. His bat plays though.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

13. prospecthugger

I saw an interview with Lunhow the other day where he mentioned the anticipated automatic strikezone altering the way they evaluate pitchers and catchers, so I could definitely see them focusing on bat first catchers as framing will essentially go away.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The game I saw McCann defended well. I was especially impressed with his arm, strong and accurate. One game is a SSS, so take it with a grain of salt.

I will say that McCann has easy HR power, which is his elite skill.

15. Buck Turgidson

That is indeed very interesting.

I didn't realize until just now that he hasn't played the position for very long at all. He is absolutely athletic enough, but his technique needs a bunch of work, which is all potentially fixable.

#95 Buck Turgidson, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
  16. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros like that high school pitcher from the Chicago suburbs in round 1 if he is there or the 3rd baseman from Tulane.

I can't look at mock drafts right now so no idea where those guys are slotted to fall.

texans1095 and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. prospecthugger

I don't think I've seen a mock that has either of them making it to 32 in a while. Bonus pool shenanigans might make Priester fall, but that might also prevent the Astros from taking him.

Nook likes this.
  18. HTown2017Champs

Are the Astros linked to the Clemson SS (Davidson)? I like him, praying he falls to our spot (he's projected to go around 25-30 I believe). He'd be reunited with Beer, and provide good insurance for the SS position (though I know "need" is typically not considered that heavily).

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The most recent mock draft posted on Fangraphs has Houston selecting Davidson.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-draft-3-0-two-rounds/

At 32 I think it’s pretty likely they choose either a college bat with warts (Davidson, Busch, Hoese, Jones, Shewmake) or a HS pitcher (Espino, Goss, Allan, Priester, Leiter).

Nook likes this.
  20. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Priester is unlikely to be there at 32. Hoese is apparently trending toward a top-25 pick. Espino has the best fastball in the draft with a ton of potential and should be taken around the 25-32 range. Goss is a local kid who I’m sure the Astros have seen on multiple occasions who is very projectable but probably less electric pure stuff than Espino. Would absolutely be okay with any of these guys at 32. I’m sure the idea with Hoese would be that he can become your everyday 3B and Bregman moves over to SS once Correa (IMO inevitably) possibly leaves.

This is all just from stuff I’ve read over the past couple weeks. I absolutely love this time of year and think the MLB draft is one of the most fascinating professional drafts.

Nook, raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.