1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 16, 2019.

1. raining threes

If he develops that kind of power, look out.

How far is he away from MLB, 3-4 years?

2. HTown2017Champs

Luhnow says he's moving up "quickly," and Blum says that catchers who can hit move up faster than other positions, especially if they went to college. I'd say 2-3 years. As stated, he's got good defense (Napoli/Gattis comparisons are thus unfair, and just WRONG), but if he can crank 20+ homers with a good average, look out! Excited about him.

vince and raining threes like this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Pretty sure once Stassi is healthy and back on the roster, posters will be clamoring for Lee to replace him. :)

Astrofan59, Smacktle, Marteen and 3 others like this.
  4. raining threes

LOL

Book this

5. Buck Turgidson

They needed a C that could maybe advance quickly, since they don't have one and won't go after one in IFA.

Once they traded Rogers there was a massive hole at this position.

texans1095 and Nook like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Hard to know, but they claim they expect him to move through the system. How fast he goes through the system will depend on his bat. He could be up in 2 years.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Maybe, but a lot of the same stuff was said about Bregman. None of the draft experts saw him being a superstar.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Sigh.

The Nerd Cave obviously sees more in Kessinger than the above scouting report.

The scouting report is troubling, in that what may be a singular career year at the the plate this year is his calling card. One expects a little more from a #68 pick.

The first two picks are consensus reaches (at least outside the organization). The Astros likely had verbal a priori agreements from each on the signing bonuses, so it is possible that the Astros will go after a HS player still on the board.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

10. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

It is just impossible for me to criticize any of these picks after reading that article on player development. The amount of analysis they've done on these guys is almost incomprehensible. I have no idea if they will pan out, but I know our front office has done the research and sees something they like. It's nice to have trust in the people running your favorite team.

#210 Baseballa, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Would not be shocked if Houston took Leiter or Callihan in the 3rd. They can see if their first 2 will sign for well below slot; if not, they offer slot and get an additional pick next year.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

For those wondering, Jeff Keppinger is not a great comp for Grae Kessinger. Kessinger will likely strike out more and hit for more power than Keppinger did. Although Keppinger’s production would be an ok outcome for a 2nd rd pick.

13. raining threes

What makes you think they wont go after one in IFA?

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They're the scouts from Moneyball. I wouldn't say they don't know anything, but the gap between what they know and what teams know has likely gotten a lot larger in recent years.

When I hear things like "flat swing", my mind reinterprets that as his results-based stats are likely muted from what they would be if he got the ball in the air a little more. When I hear that same player hit 0.400 in the SEC, I think he's got to be hitting the ball hard, but likely on the ground or on a line.

raining threes likes this.
  15. htownbball

htownbball Member

What? I don't think anybody ever said Bregman would be a Nolan Fontana type player. He was always considered a top 5 pick. The main question was how much power he was going to hit for given his plus bat speed but flat bat path. Bregs got with the analytics folks with the aim of hitting more fly balls (launch angle) and turned himself into the player he is today, but everyone thought he was going to be a productive big leaguer.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Guys I like who are still available:
    Leiter
    Callihan
    Holland
    Song
    Stinson
    McCann
    Milone
    Doughty
    Dillard
    Johnson
    Groshans
    Fowler
    Mangum
    Gray

HTown2017Champs and texans1095 like this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Lee is an athletic catcher with power, unusual speed for his position, and a good arm. He also put up big numbers this spring; we moved him up our board a bit seemingly every few weeks. Kessinger walked more than he struck out in the SEC, he’s a middle infield fit, and he’s an obvious swing change candidate, something Houston is good at implementing.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/day-1-draft-review/

18. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I hope this is the strategy. There’s a ton of good pitching available. Luhnow manages the draft pools like a wizard so I have little concern

I dig this draft. Lee sounds like a Molina behind the plate with good offensive numbers. If the front office sees something, it’s usually there.

texans1095 likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

One thing I’m totally unsure about is how negotiations with college juniors picked in the top 3 rounds typically go. On the one hand, they don’t have much leverage since after their Sr year they’d have zero leverage. But on the other, teams have to offer slot to get the compensation pick. There may be some handshake agreements in place, as I’m sure both Lee and Kessinger were prepared to sign for 3rd or 4th round money.

No Worries likes this.
  20. raining threes

Before the draft everybody was high on McCann.

Hope he's there in the 3rd. More depth at C wouldn't hurt a thing.