1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 16, 2019.

1. HTown2017Champs

Elias and Luhnow both select catchers with their top picks. To open and close the (non-comp) first round. Worth noting.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

These "experts" are often not really that good.

The Astros select a guy they all had as a 3-4th rounder in the first round and because it is the Astros and not some mediocre franchise, it is praised.

Also the comparison to Mike Napoli is a JOKE..... Napoli was never good behind the plate and his arm was mediocre. Napoli was also a very good hitter.... but that is the compa

IowaAstro, Marteen, cmlmel77 and 3 others like this.
  3. raining threes

I wonder if some of these experts know any more than I do and I know basically nothing.

Marteen and Nook like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

JJ Goss to the Rays

Marteen, Nook and texans1095 like this.
  5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

6. Nook

Nook Member

That's it? Just a catcher that is a run stopper behind the plate AND a middle of the order bat?..... Maybe he can steal 30 bases too.

I kid, but that is quite a tall order...... not that I doubt anything Luhnow says or does........ if Luhnow says to wipe your ass back to front, I'm going to wipe my ass back to front.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Obviously a super high ceiling when you’re talking about a catcher prospect who could have plus plus arm, plus game calling, above average framing, and 30+ HR power. Only 5 catchers hit more than 20 HR last season, only 4 have average 20+ HR over last 3 seasons (Perez, Grandal, Sanchez, Gattis). I actually wonder if Gary Sanchez might be a good ceiling comp for Lee.

IowaAstro and Nook like this.
  8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The Astros close out Day 1 of the 2019 MLB Draft with...

Round 2, Pick 68: Grae Kessinger, SS, Ole Miss

texans1095, Nook and Marteen like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Grae Kessinger, Ole Miss (MS)
    SS
    R/R
    4YR JR
    6' 2 200lbs
    DOB:08/25/97

Though he was one of the better high school shortstop prospects in the 2016 Draft, Kessinger lasted until the Padres took him in the 26th round because he was all but destined to play at Mississippi. His grandfather Don was an All-American for the Rebels in baseball and basketball before playing in six All-Star Games with the Cubs, and his father, Kevin and uncle Keith (another big leaguer) also played for Ole Miss. Scouts appreciated Grae's steady play but were underwhelmed by his package of tools -- though now they're reconsidering him after he hit .405 in Southeastern Conference play as a junior. Kessinger was a career .248 hitter before league play began this spring, but as one evaluator said, "You don't hit .400 in the SEC by accident." He has a history of making contact with a controlled right-handed swing and line-drive approach, and he has hit the ball harder than ever in 2019. He draws walks and plays quicker on the bases than his below-average speed out of the box, though he has modest home run power at best. Kessinger makes plays at shortstop despite lacking classic tools for the position. He's not twitchy or flashy and his arm is merely average, yet he compensates with instincts and positioning. He likely will move to second base in pro ball and may be more of a utilityman than a regular, though his strong makeup and surprising junior season may foreshadow him exceeding expectations.

Marteen likes this.
  10. htownbball

htownbball Member

Great...Nolan Fontana 2.0

snowconeman22 and No Worries like this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I like the Kessinger pick a lot. Possible both guys sign for significantly underslot. Handful of 1st round HS pitching talents still available.

texans1095 and HTown2017Champs like this.
  12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Ole Miss is currently in the Super Regionals; they're taking on Arkansas. These are Kessinger's stats as of this moment.

.332/.427/.458, 5 HR, 47 RBI, 63 R, 40 BB (8 HBP), 32 K, 16 SB (3 CS), .885 OPS

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. HTown2017Champs

I'm actually liking this pick. I like his high average (and in the SEC!), more walks than strikeouts, good baserunning, and though he didn't hit that many homers, he can still develop some pop. Excellent defense I hear! And bloodlines, too. Grandpa and uncle played in MLB, father played in college and the minors). Gives us more middle infield depth.

#194 HTown2017Champs, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    texans1095 likes this.
  15. htownbball

htownbball Member

Baseball America scouting report on Grae

Scouting Report: If Kessinger ends up being the best shortstop in his family, whichever team drafts him would be thrilled. After all, Grae’s grandfather, Don, played over 2,000 games for the Cubs, Cardinals and White Sox, earning six All-Star appearances and two Gold Gloves. Kessinger has been Ole Miss’ starting shortstop for three seasons. He’s sure-handed and has an above-average arm, although, like many college shortstops, his range is fringe-average, which raises concerns about whether he can play there long term. At the plate, Kessinger was significantly overmatched as a freshman, but he’s gotten stronger and has been especially effective in conference play this year, hitting .398 in SEC games, which ranks second in the league. He doesn’t really have a plus tool, and he projects to be a .250-.260 hitter in pro ball with modest power. However, Kessinger’s well-rounded skillset, solid numbers in a tough conference and his ability to play up the middle will likely push him into the late second or early third round on draft week.

Snake Diggit, mikol13 and J.R. like this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Does Glenn Beckert have a second base playing grandson?

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The Dodgers close Day 1 by picking Jimmy Lewis, a RHP from Lake Travis.

Day 2 of the MLB Draft will begin at noon and will cover rounds 3-10. The Astros' first pick tomorrow will be #106 overall.

texans1095 and raining threes like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Of course they don't, let's not kid anybody.

texans1095, raining threes and Nook like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

No, he can actually play SS.

vonwafer234 and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Lee is a better defensive catcher. I cannot see Lee having THAT kind of power, but really your guess is as good as mine.