1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2019 Draft/1-23] Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 25, 2019.

?

Do you like the selection of Tytus Howard?

Poll closed Sep 5, 2019.
  1. YES

54.6%
  2. NO

45.4%
  1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Most fans wanted a player we can potentially start Day 1 to protect Watson and out of all the OT available, Howard seemed to be one that was the furthest away from providing that. Literally haven't seen one post about him being a bust.

2. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

What I'm curious, and count me as one who's sick of hearing about versatility, does learning multiple positions ("4 hole player") help or stunt an o lineman's growth? As opposed to say learning just one position.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

That was the other thing that was puzzling. The Eagles needed a project OT and the Texans needed someone to start right away. They have Lane Johnson and Jason Peters already. Waiting for Howard would have made more sense for them. The Texans need someone who can start right away. Dillard has been a better tackle and gave up less sacks against tougher competition. Howard hasnt played the position that long and played against lester opponents. Howard looks more like the project.

Who knows how both do but the Eagles showed they were more serious about providing protection for their QB in the near future.

Gray_Jay and red5rocket like this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think people are unhappy more about when he was picked not necessarily the player. The reaction would have been totally different if they got Howard in the 2nd round.

Gray_Jay, tmoney1101, Dubious and 4 others like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Can't embed the video but Matt Miller loved the pick; it's in the video of grading the texans pick. Like a 2:30 minute video

Matt Miller says Tytus Howard was "criminally underrated" coming into this draft class & loves the pick

https://bleacherreport.com/houston-texans

6. conquistador#11

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

Who's to say he can't be a starter day 1 just looking at highlights he looks better than most of the current o-line.

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

He wasn't the best player but he was the one BOB and Brian wanted maybe they know something we don't about him.

vince likes this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

That's not saying much. There were other OTs available that "look better".
    Or maybe they think they know something about him but dont. They thought they knew something about Rankin at tackle even I posted on here that he is a guard or center. Now they are admitting they were wrong. I hated the Kevin Johnson pick. People on here tried to convince me otherwise. Another guy they got because another team traded in front of them to get the guy they really wanted. And another guy they could have presumably traded down to get. They were wrong on him too. Just because they picked a guy that most think is rated lower doesnt mean they are smarter than all the experts projections. It very well could mean the opposite.

Why not? and Gray_Jay like this.
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You don’t know where he is at until Training Camp, As with ANY rookie.

He could be ready to start.

12. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I voted yes but Honestly I have no clue... I'm rooting for him now.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No doubt, that’s why I said “seemingly.” There aren’t any guarantees but think it’s completely logical to expect a steeper learning curve for Howard.

That being said, I hope he completely proves us wrong and I’ll be rooting for him for sure.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Tytus Howard says he is going to be here a long time #Texans pic.twitter.com/zgzTywpNYe

— David Nuño (@DavidNunoABC13) April 26, 2019

Howard worked both tackle positions at Alabama State. Right tackle with the ones and then left tackle with the twos. His coach wanted him to be proficient in both spots for the Hornets. #Texans

— patrick (@PatDStat) April 26, 2019

Tytus Howard will work at offensive tackle for the #Texans according to Bill O’Brien.

— patrick (@PatDStat) April 26, 2019

Howard says he feels completely comfortable playing both right and left tackle. Often had to do both, working with the 1s, 2s and 3s with little depth on o-line in college. #Texans

— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) April 26, 2019

Tytus Howard says he traveled for nearly a month straight taking about 24 team visits, only home for a few days. Received a lot of attention after his performance at Senior Bowl. #Texans

— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) April 26, 2019

Tytus Howard (@levelstothis_2) said he shed tears when the #Texans drafted him. pic.twitter.com/ru7t8xltUd

— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) April 26, 2019

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Check out the play right before he got owned. Check out the whole video as there are probably 4-5 1 on 1 plays to analyze. He has other videos with more plays. I really like the skillset he brings. I think we have ourselves a good starter. I give him about 8 games and watch he will start at RT.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  18. edwardc

edwardc Member

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member