1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not a bad idea. If it goes well they could do the same with Correa for his back.

2. prospecthugger

More surprisingly, he hit a pop up yesterday - his first of the season.

With his plate discipline and batted ball profile, I wonder if he could be Joey Votto lite? He probably won't have quite the K/BB ability that Votto does, but he should have more raw power.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Mo Vaughn is the comp I have seen others throw out that probably makes the most sense as Alvarez’s ceiling. He wasn’t nearly as good as Votto (or David Ortiz, a comp I have thrown out which is probably overly optimistic), but he still put up 31.1 fWAR over 12 seasons.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Quad Cities is having to cancel their 3 game series due to flooding. Houston needs to take any good prospects on that roster and move them up now. None of those guys have been able to get into a routine or even play regularly because of that situation and it’s getting to the point where it’s probably impacting their development. Salazar, Schreiber, Valdez, Pena, McKenna, Conine, Deason, Freure, Hansen, Ruppenthal, and Torres all could be justified in moving up to Fayetteville.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, his OPS dropped below 1.400, and he's no longer leading the league. They should probably just cut him at this point.

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

EDIT: Didn't see SD's post

Apparently the only suitable solution for the Dodgers was to make the River Bandits hit the road and play the Loons at their place.

#826 tellitlikeitis, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
  7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Also, here's a piece on the early-season dominance of Quad Cities' starters...

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That’s pretty shitty of that other team.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Realistic ceiling comps for Houston’s best prospect at each position:

C Garrett Stubbs : left-handed Austin Barnes
    1B Yordan Alvarez : Mo Vaughn
    2B Enmanuel Valdez : Daniel Murphy
    SS Freudis Nova : Edgar Renteria
    3B Abraham Toro : Travis Shaw
    OF Kyle Tucker : Josh Reddick
    OF Myles Straw : Jarrod Dyson
    OF Alex McKenna : George Springer
    DH Seth Beer : Eddie Rosario

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Lol at Tuckers Ceiling being Josh Reddick

Me very well may bust, we have no idea at this point, but if he reaches his "ceiling", it's higher than Reddick

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not sure why it’s “Lol” level. Reddick is a really, really good player and that would be a good outcome for Tucker. Reddick has put up 19.3 fWAR in 1085 games and has 3 seasons with at least 2.8 fWAR.

Of course you can say Ted Williams (or less ridiculously, Christian Yelich) is his ceiling, but I have more hesitation on comping guys to Hall of Famers. In the 12 years I’ve been obsessing over Houston’s farm, I’ve only comped two guys to Hall of Fame players as their realistic ceiling (Correa to A Rod and Whitley to “pretty much any tall RHP you want”).

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Reddick put up 14.2 WAR under club control. Looking at current projections on Fangraphs, it looks like they still put his expected WAR at about 10 WAR over club control (eyeballing it). Basically that would put the realistic expectations for Tucker between -1 and ~20 WAR. Reddick is probably a good turnout for Tucker, but I'd say it is likely far from a realistic ceiling.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Kyle Tucker is a difficult one to put a reasonable ceiling on.

Yes, he is long as has bat speed and power and above average speed. Those all lend themselves to a high ceiling.

However he also doesn't seem to have a very advanced approach to hitting or pitch recognition.

So his likely ceiling is probably lower than a lot of people expect.

Even with issues over Alvarez' long term position, I think his likely ceiling is higher than Tucker's.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If you told me right now that Tuckers career will mirror Reddick, I wouldn't be disappointed really. But if we are talking about his ceiling, I have to believe it is much higher than Josh Reddick (you know, the guy who apparently we tried to get rid of his contract this offseason but couldn't)

I'm a Reddick fan, I think he tried to sell out too much for power last year and got himself in a funk he couldn't get out of

But if Reddick is Tuckers Ceiling, and it's fairly obvious that he has some pretty decent bust potential...then Luhnow in particular, and a lot of scouts also, sure have been wrong on him

BigM likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm more confident Alvarez will hit than Tucker. That said, I think there is still a decent chance Tucker can elevate pitches in the majors. Get the ball in the air, and you have a huge variance (i.e., big chance for a bust, big ceiling).

#836 Joe Joe, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
  17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Alex De Goti has hit his sixth home run for Round Rock. He's on a nice six-game hitting streak in which three of them have been multi-hit efforts, including a 4-5 game with two doubles last night.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Everyone's just here for your Yordan updates.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

He's drawn a walk

No Worries and Buck Turgidson like this.
  20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Abraham Toro has hit his 5th home run of the season for Corpus Christi.

Snake Diggit likes this.