1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Screaming Fist

Martin touching 98 tonight. 6Ks through 3IP.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Syndergaard and Taillon.

3. Screaming Fist

Damn, Ivey got tossed before the 3rd for having a foreign substance in his glove.

4. Buck Turgidson

Do you see the Mets trading any of their guys? Could always change later I guess, or with a massive prospect haul...

5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It's possible. Wheeler is a free agent and struggling. Lugo is struggling as well. That division is so wide open any of the Phillies, Braves, Mets, or Nationals could find themselves 10-15 games down at the deadline and have decisions to make. If the Mets are that team, are sitting in 4th place, and you put Tucker and an arm on the table.... they might do it.

6. Buck Turgidson

I was thinking guys with control who could help the Stros this year...who other than Syndergaard fits that bill? And what would you have to give up to entice the Mets to even think about trading him?

If you open it up to just a rental...hell, there's a bunch of guys who could be available in June/July.

whiskeyred likes this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Syndergaard is the guy if Tucker is involved. I was saying that if they are struggling Wheeler and Lugo could be moved as well.

I think Tucker, Corbin Martin, and then some lesser prospects would be required for Syndergaard. Astros role into the playoffs with Verlander, Cole, Syndergaard. Then the next 2 years Syndegaard slips into Cole's role.

2020/21 rotation
    1. Verlander
    2. Syndergaard
    3. Whitley
    4. McCullers
    5. who cares

whiskeyred and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Are Wheeler and Lugo better than what we have already?

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Corbin Martin vs. Memphis: 5.2 IP, H, ER, 3 BB, 9 K

The run was an inherited runner that was charged to him.

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Tyler Ivey struck out three over a couple of 1-2-3 innings for Corpus Christi before he got tossed for apparently having a foreign substance on his glove before the 3rd inning.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Wheeler has great stuff. Upper 90s fastball, 90-91 slider, and a nasty curve. Last year he was better than any starter currently on our roster not named Verlander or Cole. I would take him over Miley, Peacock, or McHugh in a heart beat... especially for a playoff start.

Lugo has the spin rate thing going like Pressly. NASTY breaking ball and mid to upper 90s fastball.

12. Buck Turgidson

Ok, I'm in. Make the trade. Lugo's not a starter though? You've convinced me on Wheeler.

13. TheresTheDagger

I was surprised the Forest Whitley didn't make the Astros opening day roster. Does anyone have any inside info on why that is and what the organizations thinking is on him? Thanks in advance.

14. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Not sure if it's possible for money reasons but go for the 2 for 1 special. Stroman and Sanchez.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Didn't need him and didn't want to start his major league clock running. No inside info, but it's pretty obvious the organization thinks extremely highly of him.

mikol13 and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm also curious to how they will try to keep his innings down. The most amount of innings he's thrown in a single season so far in the minors has been 92. I imagine they will want to cap it at around 150 this season so it's not too much of a shock to his arm.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They won't come anywhere near that number. I would put the over/under around 100 regular season innings, maybe a little higher. We want him pitching in October.

I think they are gonna start him once a week and have him go 3-5 innings for the first half of the season, then sometime after the all star break we'll start to give him more regular work and then promote him as a multiple inning bullpen weapon. I would be surprised if he's in our rotation at any point this season.

18. Buck Turgidson

Running a 6-man rotation to start the season, so there's that.

19. Buck Turgidson

I just learned that Texas Farm Bureau members get 2 free tickets to all Round Rock Sunday games. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

eta: and all Texas minor league teams, Corpus and Skeeters included, and all college teams. That's pretty cool.

#419 Buck Turgidson, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Snake Diggit, awc713 and No Worries like this.
  20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member