1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No surprise calling up a 3rd catcher for emergencies plus Tucker. Josh James was activated as well, so the pitching staff is up two arms. I guess Perez beat out Armenteros and Bryan Abreu as a dark horse to audition for a bullpen spot / wanted to leave down for the minor league playoffs.

Interesting they’re leaving Straw / Mayfield down even though we could use depth at SS. Straw may have to stay down due to being sent down on the 27th.

2. Buck Turgidson

Yep, has to stay down for 10 days unless he replaces an IL'd player.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I am a bit surprised that the Astros brought up Tucker, Stubbs and Perez. Round Rock Express will be in the AAA playoffs. One would expect that those three players would be AAA playoff contributors. One would also unsurprised if those three are lightly used by the Astros in September. Obviously the Astros playoff run trumps the AAA playoffs, but Luhnow previously has emphasized prospects getting minor league playoff experience.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It will be very interesting to see how regular Tucker's action is.

Does he have an actual chance to put himself ahead of Reddick, or this strictly about prep for 2020.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I assume more pitchers (and Straw) will be called up after the AAA playoffs.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Luhnow said recently that he has a chance if he’s hitting. I don’t think it’ll mean he’s be ahead of Reddick but he certainly can work his way in to the roster.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If Kyle Tucker is on the playoff roster, there's zero reason Reddick should be on it.

As reserves Myles Straw and Jake Marisnick are miles more valuable.

8. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I’m guessing they give Springer, Brantley, and Reddick a liberal amount of days off... I’d guess Tucker will have some opportunities to play his way into a playoff spot.

Stubbs is about just having a 3rd catcher rostered... and giving Chirinos some extra rest days in advance of the playoffs.

Perez is an interesting case. He’s just returning from injury too. My guess is they want to just get him a few more innings before shutting him down... he’s basically up to eat a few extra innings and functionally would’ve done the same for Round Rock given his injury status. He can hang around the Cuban crew too.

mikol13, Snake Diggit and No Worries like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It would’ve been insulting not to call up Tucker. He will get some time as they give guys a lot of days off to rest them up, but this point barring injury there is no way he makes the playoff roster. They’re gonna stick with Reddick thru this season. But I expect Reddick to be traded for an overpaid pitcher this offseason (one of the Rockies’ 3 overpaid relievers might make some sense).

Screaming Fist likes this.
  10. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Impressive enough... and then you realize it doesn’t include Yordan or Correa.

Edit: Totally wrong thread. But hey, Tucker had a .900 OPS in AAA?

RKREBORN likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Stephen Wrenn up from CC to replace Tucker

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Oh, and if anybody's interested in a little pregame baseball, Whitley's pitching in Corpus in about 10 minutes.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Shawn Dubin vs. Down East: 6 IP, H, 10 K
    Yohan Ramirez vs. Tulsa: 5 IP, 2 H, ER, BB, 9 K; the run came on a home run that gave Tulsa the lead

C.J. Stubbs vs. Wisconsin: 3-5, 3-R HR (4), 4 RBI, 2 R; Stubbs hit nine homers between Tri-City and QC.

14. Buck Turgidson

Whitley was a mixed bag. Got burned on a shift IF single in the first, 2WP and a single to give up a run. Struck out the side though. Was throwing strikes, but they were fouling everything off. 3 more WPs in the 2nd and 3 solid singles and a walk. GIDP got him out of the inning. That was his day. 58 pitches, 41 strikes.

Cheers to next year.

15. Buck Turgidson

As was expected, Guduan finally DFA'd.

eric.81 and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Probably just rumor, but a commenter in the mlbtr article about Guduan’s dfa said the Astros are calling up Kent Emanuel.

17. Buck Turgidson

They'd have to DFA somebody, 40-man's full (players on the restricted list do not count, ala the 60-day DL)

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yup. If they do it, Deetz would be my guess. But I doubt they make anymore 40 man moves prior to the offseason.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

20. Buck Turgidson

RR beat the Cubs 5-4 in Game 1 of the PCL playoffs, in the 11th inning. Was 2-2 after 9, after 10...in the 11th they scored 2 we scored 3.

Zacatecas likes this.