1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2018] Houston drivers are getting worse...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeah, obvious answer, but there's a real brain drain going one way from these old-school companies. So what you have left is the chaff. It can't be market competitive or even enjoyable to have an office full of dullards.

B-Bob likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I wish one article would distill this so i could show it to some (otherwise very smart) oldster executive director / CEO types.

3. SuraGotMadHops

The triggering thing makes sense. I always wondered why people from northeast cities were pissed all the time, and a friend of mine that lived up there said it's multifactorial - when your day-to-day is constantly burdened by overcrowding, over-expense, and excess time consumption it just wears people out and there is no incentive to be courteous or considerate. It's why the south has always been more laid back and friendly (at least it used to be). When you have more space, time, and things are cheap, everybody is happier.

Agreed also on the 100% remote point. At a minimum do the two office days a week thing that some are doing, but going in every day to most office jobs is a colossal waste of time and energy.

4. Xerobull

B-Bob likes this.
  5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

It's remarkable how this board has been blessed with nothing but excellent drivers.

6. Xerobull

Culture in the South is to 'sit a spell'. It's one of the things I love about Houston. My new company is based in Boston and that is absolutely not the case. Meetings are 30 minutes vs an hour at my previous employment. They last maybe 15 minutes and they're done where the other place's meetings would last over an hour. But the work efficiency is about the same; there is better shorthand communication in southern-style companies due to personal familiarity vs the more time-efficient culture in the north. I tend to open meetings asking everyone how they are doing and I'm an outlier. But it's my style so I'm sticking to it, and it's already gotten me places in the new company.

I love working remotely. It tends to clash with my extravert personality but it is so much more efficient and I actually work more from home than I ever did in the office. I'll never go back to a full-time in-office job.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  7. Sajan

Sajan Member

There's just a TON more cars EVERYWHERE now.
    I used to enjoy driving on sunday mornings around 7am, no one on the road. Now it feels like driving on a weekday.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

For those of you that drive mainly in the left lane going 60mph, I am kindly asking for your reasoning..

are you just unaware you are doing it?
    do you feel safer in the left lane?
    do you enjoy holding others back?
    do you also stand in the middle of an escalator?

9. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Are you aware of the distance rule and if the distance isn't there and you are hit from behind and you hit the person in front of you due to the impact then you are responsible for the car in front of you?

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

Distance rule when driving and distance rule at signal are two different things...

K mf G likes this.
  11. K mf G

Correct, when sitting at a light 1 car length is the rule. When traffic is heavy i close the distance. If someone is trying to get into a turn lane and the y can fit I'll move, but to get upset at someone for being safe...

12. Xerobull

Can you cite that as a law?

K mf G likes this.
  13. Sajan

Sajan Member

ONE CAR LENGHT AT SIGNALS? are you kidding me?

B-Bob, BigM, K mf G and 1 other person like this.
  14. K mf G

That's taught in driver's ed my man. If I have time I'll look for something but other than that you are free to accuse me of making it up.

15. K mf G

I did not create the rule...

16. VanityHalfBlack

I try to avoid the freeway as much as possible and use the tollway as much as I can. I try to switch routes every now and then cause yeah, people can not drive whatsoever.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

18. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

My work commute from Heights to Pearland feels like a literal death race especially on 288 northbound when I am coming home. If you arent going a minimum of 90, you have to be in the far right lane and even then you get someone on your butt. Its so ridiculous. And dont get me started on the 288 to 45 north ramp. Its so backed up because of the 30% of drivers driving up to the very end and cutting in.

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

If I had to drive on 288 every day again, I would quit. It's fury road behavior out there.

20. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

My only other option would be to leave earlier and take Kirby all the way down and cut over to Almeda (not that bad but so many lights) or try and take 610 W to Almeda. 610 W loop is an absolute nightmare

B-Bob likes this.