1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 All-Stars

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yuli should get an AB with runners in scoring position.

HTown2017Champs and Houstunna like this.
  2. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

In before GSW fans comment "5 All Stars!? How much help do they need???"

lnchan likes this.
  3. Marteen

Marteen Member

Pretty cool that a Houston player is a leading vote-getter of an All-Star game. How often does that happen?

Congrats to the guys that got in.

Houstunna likes this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yao Ming did it twice.

Marteen likes this.
  5. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

How is Charlie Morton not an all-star?! 11-2 and a 2.83 ERA... :mad:

boomboom, TheRealAllpro and Marteen like this.
  6. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

It’s pretty terrible he didn’t get player or commissioner’s vote. Ian Snell as well (2.09 era, cmon!)

Clevinger should not have gotten ahead and J.A. Happ (4.44 era) is a real joke. I know every team’s gotta be represented (it just should have been Solarte from the Jays)

Houstunna and Marteen like this.
  7. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Snell has noticeably better numbers on a much worse team, and he didn't get in either

Marteen likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Man I love Springer, but he really didn't deserve to go this season. He must be really popular with the players.

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

When I was explaining earlier how Devo and McHugh had literally no chance at the all star game bc they weren’t the kind of guys other players were going to think of as “all stars” I said Springer would go the other way- he just seems more like an all star with his athleticism and loud skills. Kind of guy players look at and rave about how good he is

10. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Winning a World Series MVP will do that for you.

11. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Ian Snell has made a return to the MLB?!?

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Apparently the players voted a few weeks ago. Explains how Springer got in (despite a sub .400 OPS over the last month...no, not a typo), and how a guy like Blake Snell doesn't.

I hope Morton and/or McHugh find a way on the team... both guys only have a couple shots left at realistically making the all-star team.

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also... 12 months ago, neither of the Astros' all-star pitchers were on the team.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Including Bregman, Astros have THREE *new* All-Stars vs last season while maintaining FIVE total each season.

AND... BOTH year's All-Stars are all still employed and producing on the roster.

15. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Devo made the all-star team last year in the same role.

lnchan likes this.
  16. Mattician

Mattician Member

Glad Bregman made it.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The player voting screwed Morton. Snell will be added. Rosario should have been in, which would have opened a pitching spot.

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m aware of that. I was talking about this year with 8 or 10 starters having great years and the need to add guys this year on teams with no other all stats.

19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

It's amazing how deep some positions are this year in the AL... while some positions have filler (C and 1B).

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yep. AL pitching staff is filthy deep. AL Shortstop is absurd. The starting OF is the best I think I've noticed or seen since I've been paying attention. There are 2 or 3 really quality 3b. 2B is pretty weak, but that doesn't show up b/c Altuve is so good papering over that spot so it doesn't feel weak, even though Jed Lowrie, while a nice player, is probably the 2nd best 2b in the league this year.

But, catcher and 1B in the AL- woof. That's a problem. I'd honestly rather they just get rid of positions there and not have a 1b. What, like Lindor or the Anaheim SS who I can't spell his name, or Lowrie or Correa (injuried, but you know what I mean) or Segura couldn't go take turns playing 1b instead of Abreau and Moreland, or whoever the hell the backup was.

Catcher you are stuck with, obviously, but I've always preferred something like - pick the best 10 IF and figure it out. It's what we do with OF- not differentiating between RF, CF and LF. Is there a little more nuance to IF than OF? Sure. But anyone who can play SS well can certainly play 2b, 3b and 1b passably for an exhibition game.