1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 All-Stars

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I'm not saying they suck or anything, I'm saying they will not be allstars. No
    As a general rule the only relievers that get selected are closers, or set up men with dominant stuff and numbers that are big time names. Guys like Betances and Miller. Devo, last year, had some Miller shine on him and had gone multiple innings with silly numbers and had people writing about him all year long as "bullpening" was a thing. None of that is happening this year. It's really a little odd to me that people think any of the Astros bullpen guys will get tabbed. None of them fit that profile of an All Star reliever, and I think it will be starting pitcher heavy.

I think Morton deserves to go. I'm not at all confident he will get selected, but he's in line to go way in front of any of our bullpen guys, rightfully so.

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Will
    Will Harris didn't fit in that category in 2016...

3. HTown2017Champs

My picks would be:
    Verlander
    Altuve
    Cole
    Devo
    Stassi (#3 C behind Ramos and Perez)

The last two have basically no chance, though.

4. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

1B: Moreland, Abreu
    2B: Altuve, Lowrie/Gleyber
    SS: Machado, Lindor
    3B: Ramirez, Escobar, Moose (Royals rep)
    OF: Trout, Betts, Rosario, Judge, Choo (Rangers rep), Castellanos (Tigers rep)
    C: Ramos, Gomes/Sanchez
    DH: JD Martinez, Nelson Cruz
    P: Verlander, Cole, Kluber, Bauer, Severino, Snell, Sale, Chapman, Treinen, Diaz, Kimbrel

I think those are all locks or >90%. That's 30 spots.
    Jays need a representative and could get it from Happ, Smoak, or Teoscar.

If Gattis actually played catcher this year or Stassi had more games I think they could make it in, but probably won't. Not much 1B depth in the AL but don't think Yuli makes it in anyways. Don't see Springer making it in as there's a gluttony of OF in the AL. Haniger would also probably be in over him.

Bregman is the next 3B up and I think he would've made it in for sure if Moose wasn't the Royals rep, but we'll see. Correa's on the outside looking in as well. He'll be battling Simmons and Segura.

Our 3 locks are Tuve, JV, Cole.
    Bregman's depends on if Moose or Salvy is the Royals rep.
    Correa is 50-50, maybe gets in on name recognition and team record.
    It's also possible we have another pitcher in there but seems unlikely.

5. Mashing

Mashing Member

I wonder if Yuli's stupid BA with RISP might land him a spot? That gets mentioned every broadcast (even national ones). I'd love to see him make it, but it's doubtful.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Altuve and Verlander are locks. Cole has probably solidified his spot as well. How much time is left in determining this thing? A really hot week or two can be a game changer. Springer was probably in before his last 40 at bats. Might be able to make it up in the next 40. Certainly Correa can do the same.

Altuve
    Verlander
    Cole
    Correa
    Morton

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

True. And I'd also argue that the AL pitching scene is a lot better with big names having big numbers. Off the top of my head starters who will almost certainly make the team (even not really deep diving for everyone needs and all star)

Starters:

JV
    Kluber
    Severino
    Bauer
    Cole
    Sale

Deserving- ish- on crappy teams that need an all star
    Snell (TB)
    Berrios (MN)
    Manaea (OAK)
    Hammels (Tex)
    Happ (TOR)
    Lopez (CHW)

Certainly more worthy of anyone in the Stros Bullpen and deserving I'd say

Morton
    Skaggs
    Clevinger
    Porcello
    Paxton
    Price

That's 17 starters right there that are in line in front of anyone in the Astros Bullpen.

Now, bullpen guys who are no doubters before our guys:

Chapman
    Treinen (makes Manaea not necessary as A's rep- but Manaea deserves it anyway imo)
    Kimbrell

OK- guys who don't deserve to be in the all star game but are better pitchers, have been more valuable and also bigger names than anyone in our bullpen (and play on the same team)

Lance McCullers Jr
    Dallas Keuchel (arguable on the been more valuable this year front I suppose)

Seriously, nobody in our bullpen has the slightest likelihood of making the team, and that's just reality

8. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

I'm perfectly fine with minimal Astros making the AS squad and instead getting a nice break to rest a little. We've got bigger fish to fry.

9. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

I would be find with the minimal players making it too. I think it will light a fire under Correa and Bregman to tear it up in the second half of the season.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

In today's pitching world, it is hard to make the team with an ERA over 3 and you are listing guys with ERAs over 3.5.

Minnesota has Rosario & Escobar probably making the team.
    A's have Treinen as a lock
    White Sox rep is probably Abreu, could be Soria though.
    Blake Snell is a lock. I have no idea why he isn't in your top group. There are 7 starter locks. Only Champan & Treinen are locks in the bullpen, but Kimbrel & Diaz are probably on the inside track.

Devo & Morton are next in line, IMO, but what happens with the need to get all 15 teams a rep might keep both off. Figures a couple of Astros will get left off that have numbers deserving, but there are only so many spots.

Keep in mind 16 pitchers made the squad last year due to replacements.

lnchan likes this.
  11. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

So here is how I see it going down:

Starters (9)

1B - Jose Abreu (CHW)
    2B - Jose Altuve (HOU)
    3B - Jose Ramirez (CLE)
    SS - Manny Machado (BAL) (Machado could be traded to the NL before July 17)
    DH - J.D. Martinez (BOS)
    C - Wilson Ramos (TB)
    OF - Mike Trout (LAA)
    OF - Aaron Judge (NYY)
    OF - Mookie Betts (BOS)

Bench (10)
    C - Salvador Perez (KC)
    1B - Mitch Moreland (BOS)
    3B - Yangervis Solarte (TOR)
    SS - Jean Segura (SEA)
    SS - Francisco Lindor (CLE)
    SS - Eduardo Escobar (MIN)
    OF - George Springer (HOU)
    OF - Nick Castellanos (DET)
    OF - Mitch Haniger (SEA)
    OF - Giancarlo Stanton (NYY)

Pitchers (12)

P - Justin Verlander (HOU)
    P - Gerrit Cole (HOU)
    P - Charlie Morton (HOU)
    P - James Paxton (SEA)
    P - Luis Severino (NYY)
    P - Chris Sale (BOS)
    P - Corey Kluber (CLE)
    P - Edwin Diaz (SEA)
    P - Aroldis Chapman (NYY)
    P - Craig Kimbrel (BOS)
    P - Blake Treinen (OAK)
    P - Keone Kela (TEX)

Final Vote (1 out 5)
    SS - Carlos Correa (HOU)
    3B - Alex Bregman (HOU)
    3B - Mike Moustakas (KC)
    1B - Matt Olson (OAK)
    DH - Nelson Cruz (SEA)

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

With his massive game yesterday, Bregman is now neck and neck with Escobar. His WAR is actually higher. Breg could easily pass him up and get that backup spot.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Think you may have forgotten about Eddie Rosario. He's been a monster going into the AS break.

Also Jose Berrios might be on the bubble but could be on the roster.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Altuve, Verlander, Cole and Morton all deserve to make the all star team and with injuries I think all of them do make it.

Alex Bregman is deserving as well....... he is on pace for nearly 30 homers and 50 doubles.... and he walks as much as he strikes out. Having said that, I don't think that he makes it.

I don't think that Correa deserves to make it this season, especially not at the expense of Cole or Morton.

15. conquistador#11

Altoovie has become one of the most popular players in the entire game.

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I'm confused by the point you are trying to make. We are essentially in agreement on the lock starters. Snell was on the top of my list b/c I just don't know if he's a big enough name, or has been dominant enough, to be considered a lock, and I suspect he might be the only rep for Tampa, so I put him in that category. I had him as a lock and took him out at the last minute.

We are more or less in agreement with the bullpen. You can quibble about whether or not Kimbrel and Diaz are locks, I guess, but at the end of the day I can guarantee you they are a lock to go before anyone in the Astros bullpen does, which is the basic point we are making.

Ok- so that gets us to 11 and you have 16 as the magic number. Devo would have to be considered in the top 5 of all the other guys I listed. I just don't see any way, shape or form that happens. He doesn't have the multi inning ace reliever narrative, he doesn't have big counting stats in saves, he doesn't have dominant stuff that players shake their heads at that would make him likely to be voted on by player, and he's got Morton who absolutely, positively without a doubt should go before him, on his same team. I just don't see any clamoring to add a 4th Astro to the pitching staff especially when that guy doesn't have overpowering stuff, hasn't been racking up saves, and doesn't have a narrative attached to him. That's just not how this kind of thing works.

17. juicystream

They should take Jorge Soler as the Royals lone rep, since he is hurt and would have to be replaced. :) I don't think they would, but be good for us.

I think Springer's recent slump should put him out, but with how selections are decided I think he still has a good shot to get in via player vote. That same selection process hurts other guys as Stanton probably gets in as the backup DH, while Choo could have been the Rangers lone rep.

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah, I could totally see the players voting Springer in. He's a players player. Athletic, can do it all. Massive HR when he launches one. World Series MVP. That's exactly the kind of guy players look at and say, damn, that dudes an all star, even if there are other guys who have an argument to have performed better on the year. His skills are loud.

It's the same argument I'm making for why stuff/name matters for guys in keeping anyone from the Astros pen out of the game.

19. juicystream

You must have missed where I basically dismissed the remainder of your starters. The lone rep will hurt, as there will only be 4 pitching spots and 1 position player to fill those spots. Will depend on player vote.

I'm not sure who calls a 1.38 and 0.796 WHIP while striking out a third of the batters he has faced not dominant.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

So, are you betting on Devo making the team over a guy like Morton? Or Paxton? Or Manaealdsfj? Yeah, not going to happen. People don't consider a changeup dominant. That's high heat gas and slider that breaks off the table or curveball that buckles the knees. Change up is about deception, not domination. Kind of like a cutter.