1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Jan 10, 2017.

1. edwardc

edwardc Member

We take Watson there should be no doubt about that.

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

simple answer mobile QB make s plays with his legs we don't have that here.

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

Have you lost your mind that the most pressing need of this team .

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I've come to my senses ever since Mahomes started getting more attention. Now I would definitely take him with our 1st round pick. There will be quality linemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Nick Foles and Case Keenum hold the highest career passer ratings out of all the air raid QBs that made it to the league going all the way back to Tim Couch. Not saying Mahomes will bust but when you look at air raid guys selected drafted early, there has to be a major concern.

Couch - #1 Overall
    Goff - #1 Overall
    Weeden - #22 Overall
    Manziel - #22 Overall
    Kolb - #36 Overall
    Geno - #39 Overall

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nathan Peterman: looks the part so he'll be your next Texans QB! ;):rolleyes:

7. gucci888

Little old but...

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock said that he would be "scared to death" to select a quarterback in the top 10 of this spring's draft.

"All three of these quarterbacks, to me, I would be scared to death in the top 10," Mayock said on The College Draft podcast. The three in question here are North Carolina QB Mitch Trubisky, Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer and Clemson QB Deshaun Watson. Rapid fire now, Mayock questioned Trubisky not winning the starting job until 2016, expressed concern over Watson's accuracy and raised an eyebrow at Kizer's pocket mechanics. The analyst believes that Kizer has the highest ceiling of the trio.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ared-to-death-to-draft-qb-in-top-10-this-year

9. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

How is Klingler not on this list? Or Ware?

10. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Because strictly speaking it's Air Raid and not Run and Shoot.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Build the offensive line! An o-line makes QBs look much better.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The Texans need an OT.

13. gucci888

Only went back to 99.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

'Draft Buzz' (aka probably misinformation ;))

With the 2017 NFL draft rapidly approaching, I've been making calls to my sources in the league to get a sense for when some of the big-name prospects could come off the board. I've compiled a bunch notes from those conversations below, starting with one of the questions I get the most ...

1. How many QBs will go in Round 1? My guess is three, based on talking to folks in the league: North Carolina's Mitchell Trubisky, Clemson's Deshaun Watson and Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes. The one name I keep hearing a bunch is Cal's Davis Webb. Some people like him a lot more than I do. I'm not sure that means he'll go in Round 1, but he's a name to keep an eye on.

2. Alabama ILB Reuben Foster and Florida State RB Dalvin Cook are two players who have gotten a lot of attention in draft circles for off-field concerns. Their status varies depending on the team you're talking to, but Cook appears to have the potential to fall a little bit more than Foster. Here's the latest based on what I've heard:

On Foster: One person I spoke to said the Indianapolis Colts could end up being the parachute pick for Foster at No. 15 overall, given how they're trying to overhaul the defensive side of the ball. If he doesn't go there, the Redskins two picks later could be in play.

On Cook: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers really like Cook and will strongly consider him if he's on the board at No. 19. The concerns with Cook are who he surrounds himself with, so keeping him in the state of Florida would be a risk, considering that's where he went to college and grew up (Miami).

3. Are the Browns really waffling on taking Myles Garrett No. 1 overall? One person in the league told me you can bet as much as you want on Cleveland taking the Texas A&M pass-rusher. The biggest question facing the Browns: Do they sit patiently at pick No. 12, or try to move up for a quarterback? Everything I've pieced together is that they like Trubisky the best out of the quarterbacks. There's some thought that Cleveland might have to trade ahead of the Jets at No. 6 if they really want the North Carolina QB.

4. Speaking of the Jets: I've been getting mixed reports on whether they're really interested in Trubisky, or if they're just trying to making it appear like they are so some team (like Cleveland) trades ahead of them. The latter strategy would make sense. Think about it: If Jets know they don't want to spend the sixth pick on a QB, the best possible scenario is to have someone trade above them and take a passer, leaving one more non-QB for the Jets to choose from.

5. Two teams continue to come up in conversations about Mahomes: The Arizona Cardinals and Kansas City Chiefs. The closer we get to the draft, I'm not sure the Texas Tech QB will still be around when the Chiefs are on the clock at No. 27 overall.

6. One interesting nugget I've picked up on when talking to teams about quarterbacks: Those that don't need a passer prefer Watson. They cite his intangibles and the ability to raise his play in the biggest moments. Trubisky and Mahomes seem to be of more interest among teams that actually need a QB. I'm having a hard time narrowing down exactly where Watson will go.

7. From the people I talk to, the Carolina Panthers are getting a lot of love as a landing spot for Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey at No. 8 overall -- even if LSU RB Leonard Fournette is still on the board. You can certainly make the case for the Panthers going that direction, considering they have a need at both running back and slot receiver, and McCaffrey could help fill both holes. One interesting connection: Lance Taylor, who's now Carolina's WR coach, was McCaffrey's running backs coach for three seasons at Stanford.

8. If McCaffrey slips past Carolina at No. 8, New Orleans would be an interesting landing spot for him at No. 11, but I'm not sure how Adrian Peterson potentially signing with the Saints would affect that thinking. Regardless, there's a strong likelihood New Orleans will end up taking a pass-rusher or defensive back at No. 11. Three names to keep an eye on: Tennessee DE Derek Barnett, Temple ILB Haason Reddick and Ohio State S Malik Hooker. During the Saints' three-year playoff drought, they've ranked near the bottom of the league in a host of defensive categories, including points per game. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see New Orleans use each of its first-round picks addressing its defense.

9. Everyone I've talked to has mentioned the same three teams as being the most interested in trading down. Let's run through them individually:

Tennessee Titans: This is the team in the top 10 that's most likely to trade down. Jon Robinson showed a willingness to move up and down the board in his first draft as GM, and the Titans want to recoup the second-rounder they lost in the deal to move up and draft OT Jack Conklin last year. So there could be mutual interest between the Titans and a team looking to trade above the Jets for a QB. If Tennessee is unable to work out a deal, I'm hearing they'll take the best defensive back on the board, with Adams and Lattimore being the two favorites. Hooker, the Ohio State safety, is also an option, but his recent surgeries are a wild card. Assuming they get a DB with their first pick, the Titans will be hoping that Clemson WR Mike Williams falls to No. 18, where Tennessee picks again. Based on what I'm hearing, though, Western Michigan's Corey Davis is much more likely than Williams to fall that far.

Chicago Bears: The Bears have five picks in the first four rounds, but they wouldn't mind adding a few more to the pile. If they're unable to find a trade partner, I keep hearing Adams and Thomas' names come up in connection with Chicago. For a while I thought Alabama DL Jonathan Allen was in play -- and he could still be -- but I'm not hearing as much buzz about that anymore. Everyone is speculating whether Allen could fall over concerns surrounding his shoulder. I've gotten mixed opinions throughout the league on his medical prognosis.

San Francisco 49ers: The thinking here is that there's just not a big difference between a player you're going to draft pick at No. 2 and the one coming off the board around No. 12. Plus, this is a very deep draft in Rounds 2-4. The three names I hear the most for the 49ers if they're unable to move down: DL Solomon Thomas, S Jamal Adams and CB Marshon Lattimore. Adams would make a ton of sense. He's probably the cleanest player in this entire draft both on and off the field. It's not hard to imagine former safety John Lynch using his first pick as San Fran's GM on Adams, considering it's a position of need.

10. Maybe it's recency bias, but it feels like this draft has more top players with character or durability issues than any other I can remember. Just in the past week, we've had Foster and Michigan S Jabrill Peppers test positive for dilute samples and Florida DT Caleb Brantley get charged with battery for allegedly punching a woman. More of my conversations than in other years seem to be centered around teams searching for the cleanest players in the draft. It's one of the reasons guys like Adams, McCaffrey and Alabama TE O.J. Howard -- all of whom could be top-10 picks -- are picking up steam while others are falling

11. According to folks I've talked to, it's not likely Hooker comes off the board in the first five picks, but I feel really good about saying he'll be selected somewhere between pick 6 and 13. The Jets, Chargers, Saints, Browns and Cardinals all have a varying degree of need at safety in that range.

12. Reddick, the Temple LB, really boosted his stock with his performances at the Senior Bowl and combine. Multiple people I talked to think he will be a top-15 pick and wouldn't be shocked if he went in the top 10.

13. Houston pass-rusher Tyus Bowser is another player who will probably go earlier than the public perception. I was told from a high-ranking personnel exec that Bowser will be a first-round pick. Multiple teams picking near the bottom of Round 1 have a need at pass-rusher.

14. Barnett, the Tennessee pass-rusher, is one of the most debated players within draft rooms right now. Those advocating for him point to his elite production, instincts and hand usage as pass-rusher, while others are holding his athletic limitations/tightness against him. He could come off the board as high as No. 9 overall to the Bengals, according to one person I spoke to. I feel good saying Barnett will end up being a top-20 pick when it's all said and done.

Here are a few other players being widely debated, along with the range in which they could be selected:

Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama: Pick No. 15 to the end of Round 1
    T.J. Watt, OLB Wisconsin: Late first round to late second round
    Kevin King, CB, Washington: Late first round to middle second round
    Marlon Humphrey, CB Alabama: Between picks 20 and 50
    Adoree' Jackson, CB, USC: Late first round to middle second round

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ohio State CB Gareon Conley has been accused of rape by a Cleveland woman, but adamantly denies the allegations.

Conley's agent has called the claims "ludicrous and ridiculous," and says they were made out of spite. Taken to a local hospital following the alleged incident, the woman refused to speak with police. No charges have been filed, and Conley has yet to speak with police. Conley has been considered a sure-fire first-rounder, and perhaps even a top-10 pick.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter Wednesday that his sources think the Browns will select UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky No. 1 overall instead of Texas A&M DE Garrett.

"I continue to hear that Mitchell Trubisky is square in consideration and may turn out to be the No. 1 pick," Schefter said. "Now I know everyone thinks Myles Garrett’s going to be the pick, and I will not be surprised if that’s the case ... But I have got very smart, very well-connected people telling me over the last 24 hours that they think Trubisky’s going to be the No. 1 pick."

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Don't teams work out contracts with the number 1 pick before the draft?

18. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Feel bad for the kid that he probably lost a few million but if he's there at 25...

19. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/22/nfl-rookie-contract-negotiations

Gone are the days of $40 million contracts being handed out to unproven players. When the NFL and NFLPA reworked the CBA three years ago, rookies lost leverage and the result has been first-year players hitting the field faster

Brando2101 likes this.
  20. Newlin

Newlin Member

This should really be a fun draft. The predictions are all over the place.