1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Jan 10, 2017.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Jonathan Allen is going to be a monster and Leonard Fournette will disappoint.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Juju smith?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I could see that. You really have to doubt a player's commitment and love for the game when they sit out a bowl game healthy. I get that he was trying to make a "business decision" but I don't really want people like that on my team. Who is to say he won't make a similar "business decision" and make himself unavailable for games while nearing the end of his rookie contract?

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Fournette missed more than a 1/3 of the season due to injury including the last regular season game so have to wonder how healthy he really was.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  5. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

I'm also a seller of Fournette who is not as ripped as AP was.

Mahomes may be a bust but guys who have as many throws as him with the size will always get a long look. If he's there at the top of the 3rd Round I could easily see the Texans making a move up.

Mixon is a big-time sleeper in terms of talent and I would not mind seeing Houston come up with an excuse to draft him.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'd almost guarantee you that Mixon won't be on the Texans draft board.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You pass them up. You can get equal value QB'S in the 2nd or 3rd.

8. Buck Turgidson

He was hurt. High ankle sprains are a b****. Christian McCaffrey is the guy you want to direct your ire towards.

9. Bob Barker 007

Mitch Trubisky
    Deshone Kizer
    Patrick Mahomes
    Nathan Peterman

10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I'm going to make a bold prediction: Leonard Fournette is going to blow up at the combine - the event is rigged to generate hype for explosive athletes - and the Titans will draft him at #5 with the pick from the Rams.

As much as I hate for our rival to get better, it makes sense for the Titans to pair Mariota with the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson.

Not that I'm saying Fournette is going to become the next Peterson, but that this pick makes too much sense. That's exactly what I would do if I were the Titans general manager.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Patrick Mahomes...I like...his 20+ yd bombs are so pretty...I dont watch a lot of college football, and Tech has a gimmicky offense...but he has real arm talent...terrible footwork.. Weird side arm delivery at times(Matt Stafford like)..but this kid can play. Get him in the 2nd round after getting a guard or Tackle in the 1st...

12. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Umm, they just drafted Henry with a premium pick and have a highly productive Demarco Murray in that backfield as the starter.

Because he'll be getting paid. By definition, the business decision has already been made. I get what you're reaching for but this example doesn't get you there IMO.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't like players with questionable motivation and love for the game. It's how you end up with a guy like Mario Williams who just sees the game as a paycheck who could have been an all time great....if he cared enough.

14. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Yep, that's where I thought u were going and on merit it's difficult to disagree with that stance - rather I agree. My issue is with Fournette's specific situation. The media gave this guy the Beno Cook / Ron Pawlus - 3 Heisman's treatment - after he broke out early last year. To hear over and over you're "The Man" "The Best" "Ready for Sunday" "Wasting his time" "Start on Sunday's right now" "Top 5 back in the league on day 1"...see his administrators run out a head coach who will have to be paid millions upon millions to NOT coach....allegedly offer tens of millions more to a coach with 2 yrs head coaching experience. All this in the framework that your next play may be the difference between the future everyone has built up in your mind and your own special version of Marcus Lattimore's hell.

My point is really just to reserve judgement for a guy in his specific situation. Could he do with a bit (LOT) more of Deshaun Watson's desire, passion, and heart - optically, absolutely! But Watson is a 12/10 on the intangibles and leadership scale. I think if your RB is a 7 or 8/10 that's plenty to get by and we won't know that about Fournette until he's a pro.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fair. I was just saying that I would be weary about taking him really early in the draft, not that he's for sure going to be a flop. He still should be a very good RB.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No way with Derrick Henry already on the roster and the Titans having so many other needs. Wouldn't make any sense.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/16/nf...fs-positional-needs?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Much has been made as to where Deshaun Watson will end up in the draft. We presently grade the Clemson quarterback as a second round prospect yet there are reports he may end up as a top 15 choice. I can tell you after surveying league people during the first day of Shrine practice the overwhelming belief is Watson will receive second round grades in war rooms.

He’ll grade well in the areas of character and leadership but his accuracy down the field and out to the flanks has been a constant worry. Teams here also question whether or not Watson can play from the pocket.

I do believe Watson could fit into the late part of round one for a team willing to trade up for his services, ala Teddy Bridgewater.
    http://draftanalyst.com/shrine-game-buzz-monday-evening

Who's No. 1 QB on your board?

Daniel Jeremiah & Bucky Brooks: DeShone Kizer
    Gil Brandt & Lance Zierlein: Mitch Trubisky
    Chad Reuter: Deshaun Watson​

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

David njoku has already shot up 13 on Daniel Jeremiah top 50

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I knew it. Every time I mention a player, their stock starts to rise. Now Josh Reynolds just bested out at the Senior Bowl. So now he probably wont be around when we pick in the 4th. Next up, start looking for Corn Elder to blow up.