1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Or......he like Watson all along and he went to the Browns right before the draft and told them to be ready.

2. Fantasma Negro

Two months after surgery?
    [​IMG]

Rockets34Legend and TheFreak like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.fox26houston.com/sports/bob-mcnair-plans-to-hire-new-texans-gm-later-this-month

Bob McNair is thrilled about the future of his franchise with a quarterback like Deshaun Watson.

"He excited everybody, and not just people in Houston, but people all over the country," Bob McNair said. "As I travel around and visit with other teams, they were all talking about Watson and what an exciting, charismatic player and great leader that he is. It makes for a very exciting time for the Texans and for Houston.

"It's the first time that we've really had a quarterback that we know can go out there and perform at a high level, and is as electric as Watson is.We've got the most exciting offensive player that you could imagine.

"Then you pair him with (Pro Bowl receiver) DeAndre Hopkins and I think it's going to be lights out for them."

mario_v likes this.
  4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Like it wasn't 30-14 after the first half.... Just anything to keep the negativity going I guess.

texian likes this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Lol no negaivity. Just reality. We all loved seeing Watson run up the scoreboard (especially me...he has been my guy since before the draft) but the reality is with all those numbers, he was 3-3 as a starter. The best win was against a team not at full strength for a half. Blaine Gabbert led his team to a win over the same Titans. At that point, they beat teams they were supposed to beat and lost to teams they were supposed to lose to. Watson played well enough to beat the Patriots and Seahawks. I would have been more impressed if the coaching staff were able to pull off those two wins.

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

The Patriots game.. as much as everyone wants to blame BOB for kicking the field goal instead of going for it (I won't even get in to the fact that this forum would have ERUPTED if he went for it and didnt get it instead of making it a TD-needed drive by brady) but the blame is actually 99.99% COREY EFFING MOORE. The guy dropped an INT then went for another one instead of just knocking the ball away. How in the world is that on any coach but Butler? And he is gone.

Edit: and while we're at it. Are you really going to back the Titans without Mariota and not mention that we were without half our starting defense? Which was again over 90% the reason we lost any of those Watson games?

texian and Texanstradamus like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

It is not blame as much not giving too much credit. If the coaches were able to pull out those wins then that is a big deal for them. The Patriots game has so many decision making question marks. It wasn't just the field goal, 3rd and 1 was running Lamar down the middle. When the option was working so well. Then there is the issue of the timeouts. I'm not beating them up for losing that game, I just don' give them think. You give the coaches credit for Watson's play but they lose some credit for a mediocre win-loss record.

I know it sounds like I'm anti-OBrien but I just would like to see more wins to show for all those gaudy QB stats.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Don't waste your time. Same poster will bend over backwards to apologize for Rick Smith. Notice the wording - "if the coaches were able to pull off those wins...". Roster doesn't matter, being close in a game you weren't supposed to win doesn't matter - it's all up to the coaches to deliver the victory. The fact that they were in the game to begin with had nothing to do with the coaches.

texian and houstonstime like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's also not so much the coaches pulling out those wins as much as it would be the coaches simply not getting in the way of the win. When you lose and it's on the players, that's one thing, when you lose and it's on the coaching, that's another. The Patriots loss was on piss poor coaching more so than it was on the players.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Texanstradamus

Both the Seattle and pats loss was on obrien but it don’t matter now I guess it’s good weren’t in contention to make the playoffs cause Those game might have bit us

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Corey Moore thanks you for your support.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not really supporting him, I'm saying that the coaching staff should have known how terrible the defense was and not relied on them to win the game for them. If you can either pin your hopes on Corey Moore or Deshaun Watson, and you pick Corey Moore.....well you are a Texans coach that gets extended and handed more power.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So you are gonna pick the fact that BOB took a 5pt lead and 2 minutes that his team could try and keep them just out of the enzone in a game we were underdogs by over 2 TDs and instead take a chance on Brady just needing to get to the 40 yd line. If we didnt get that 1st down you would totally be here saying how dumb he was not to make it a TD needed drive. Hindsight coaching is SO EASY. Pick apart BOB all you want, but that Pats game was so much better than it was supposed to be, and Corey Moore single-handedly lost it for us on 2 separate plays.

Sidenote, it's amazing to me how you can honestly put all this blame on the head coach for this season and not on the injuries when you just said he couldnt count on his defense to keep a team out of the endzone for 2 minutes (in two huge games).. Goodness, a lot to ask of a coach to get 35 pts and not count on your defense (which has led you for the passed 3 years) at all. You guys have these hindsight standards that are so ridiculous.

texian likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I'm going to say that betting on the worst defense in franchise history to stop Tom F'n Brady instead of betting on the best QB in franchise history to pick up 1 yard was the head coach blowing the game. I know we have some BOB fanboys in here, but there's simply no defending that decision.

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Fair enough, agree to disagree. Im not an avid supporter of BOB, but I wanted Rick gone more, and I don't blame him for Patriots loss. I thought that game would be over by halftime.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In fairness, so did I, then Deshaun Watson happened. In a situation where you weren't going against one of the greatest QB's to ever throw a football while not having the worst defense in franchise history, then the decision to give the ball back to the other team only up 5 and count on the defense to hold them makes sense. Unfortunately it wasn't a scenario like that.

That said, it's in the past now and we are stuck with BOB going forward, we might as well hope for the best because b****ing about his shortcomings won't make a difference. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes and grows into being a better head coach.

houstonstime likes this.
  19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Certainly couldn't hurt if he gave up being the OC and/or play caller so he could focus more on the game management aspects of the job versus having to go over the previous drive and stuff when the offense returns to the sideline. The hardest thing for Coordinators who get the HC job to do is give up what "got them" the job in the first place. BO'B got it right by ceding the defense to an established coach, but his stubbornness on the other side of the ball might limit his ceiling as a HC. Yes, he did look good calling plays and coordinating an offense with Watson, but he also slipped into bad decisions in his primary role as HC. The "little things" we ding him for (timeouts, challenges, 4th down calls, etc.) are things that a "walkaround/CEO" head coach would be able to focus on more than someone who has to be both a coordinator/play caller/head coach, IMO.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, see, I don't think he really did look good calling plays even when Watson was playing. The difference was that Watson was good enough to overcome the bad play calls and make things happen anyway.

Also, BOB had to take over play calling abilities so he could blame the failure of his system on one of his assistants a few years back. Now we had Watson playing at an amazing level to distract from the failures of BOB's system.....honestly I do think they should hire an OC going into next season because as of now, BOB doesn't have anyone to blame.