1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 NCAA Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2016.

1. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Welp, stay tuned on the Tennessee front.

The backlash, understandably, has been constant all day, much of it from Tennessee politicians and people who have nothing to do with football, and now you've got many of the influential college football voices chiming in that that the two sides should just walk away. I'm betting on Tennessee being back in the market for a head coach by tomorrow.

2. Buck Turgidson

I think some of the guys on the previous page are vastly overrating the appeal of coaching at Rice.

Or maybe I'm wrong, but why would any of those guys mentioned take that job? The downsides for any well respected DI coordinator there far outweigh the upsides.

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

There is one huge problem with this thought. Graham was a DC before he became a head coach.

4. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Coaches talk to other programs all the time, just not directly. Agents take away these harsh technicalities, and the coach can claim that he never told his agent to talk to someone else, and that the agent was simply looking out for his client.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Greg Schiano officially out of running to be next head coach at Tennessee. LOL of all the dramatic things.

Swiss Roll and craigharmann like this.
  6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

For sure, and I assume a lot of this was going on between ASU and Sumlin. In a situation straight out of Ferris Bueller, one guy on CFB Reddit even mentioned that his aunt works in the athletic department at ASU and mentioned that the AD there, Ray Anderson, and Sumlin are the type of buddies who chat on the phone regularly. That seems highly unlikely, if for no other reason than both are extremely busy individuals who also have family lives, but the fact that even some percentage of college football followers think it could be legit tells you that it's just assumed that there is all kinds of back-channeling going on.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

greatest heist in history if true, TN taxpayers should storm the government

#288 Commodore, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Rice is not a great job, in fact it isn’t a very good head coaching gig. If the goal for someone like Orlando is to coach at a top 15-20 program; then he is better staying as DC at a school like UT. If UT wins and the defense is solid; he is likely to get interviews and a job offer from a program like UH at worst or a solid to very good top conference program to be a head coach. If he goes to Rice he has to rebuild the program and win and likely get an offer from a UH/Arizona St. level program and then rebuild that program before getting a potential shot at an elite program or top conference.

Some guys are so desperate to be a head coach that they will take a job at Rice; but my understanding is Orlando’s interest in the UH job was only mild. If that is the case, Orlando should have no interest in Rice.

10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm totally with you, particularly as far as Todd Orlando is concerned. I think it's bonkers to think he'd consider going to Rice. If he were to become a head coach at a G5 program, it's going to be something at the level of UH, Memphis, UCF, or USF. Otherwise, he's ticketed for P5 head coaching vacancies.

Rice is a place where they have to think outside the box and find a rising star that other programs might not be looking at yet. I think about what a program like UTSA did. They took a chance on Frank Wilson, who was a position coach at LSU, and that's worked out pretty well, at least initially. I know they may be inclined to go a different route since this is the route they took to get Bailiff, but I think a reluctance to hire head coaches from the FCS level is a huge market inefficiency in college coaching. Sure it happens from time to time (Willie Fritz from SHSU to Georgia Southern, for example) but not as often as I feel it should. I just think that could be another way for a lower-level FBS program to nab a rising star before he becomes a household name.

11. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I've never seen anything like the Tennessee situation today, and I honestly think it's going to be one of those seminal moments that we're discussing for decades to come. It would be both exhilarating and exhausting to be a Tennessee beat writer today.

News came across not long ago that Mississippi has pulled the interim tag off of Matt Luke and made him the permanent head coach. In future news, the University of Mississippi has announced that they've parted ways with head coach Matt Luke after three seasons. It's not that Luke didn't earn the gig. I kind of expected the Rebels to crater this season with everything going on around them, and he did a nice job kind of holding things together. But hiring the interim guy who took over after the coach left in haste almost never works.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

On Schiano, the craziness is the way the fanbase went after him. They wrong on The Rock that he covered up child molestation at Penn State. I mean he got SMEARED here.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Dang didn't even think of that given Arizona States offenses and his coaching tree. Guy is an unbelievable evaluator of OCs then.

14. gucci888

Absolute mess.

15. Buck Turgidson

They have recruiting difficulties that will never change, they can get a small school guy like Todd G, maybe an Applewhite, their last coach came from SWT, if I'm not mistaken.

Nook likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's unreal that they allowed the fan base to make this decision. Tenn needs to realize they aren't the marquee program they once were. They're not on the short list for the top candidates. Schiano is a good coach (aside from what he did in the NFL). What a mess they've created. This will have a trickle down effect.

18. gucci888

Search firms are hit or miss like any hire would be but think one would've sniffed this out in this case. Don't think the extent could've been predicted but the fact that Curry is reportedly shocked at the backlash is pretty telling he didn't do his homework.

And it looks like this isn't the first coaching hire that Curry has botched. He tried to orchestrate a backdoor coach in waiting at K-State even though Snyder had in his contract that he'd have input on who took over. The deal, which actually had a contract in place, fell through so Curry as AD, has now gone 0-2.

19. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

Jason Witten said he'd quit the Cowboys to coach at Tennessee. I'd love to see that train wreck happen. For the Cowboys and Tennessee.

20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

And there goes Bailiff... I hope we get that ASU coach that just got fired... KIDDING