1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017/2018 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Raz

Raz Member

Good win for Bayern. Struggling a little in the first half, but got the job done in the second. Don't think Sevilla can turn things around in Munich, so the door to the semis is wide open. Sevilla fought us well, but I dislike them constantly flopping and acting. Ridicolous attempts to provoke a red card or a penalty. This time the ref was on point.

Yung-T and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

So Kovac today said he'll stay with Frankfurt, Hasenhüttl and Rangnick also strongly suggested that Hasenhüttl will stay with Leipzig.

This is getting confusing, Nagelsmann and Favre seem like the only decent options left but I think Favre is joining Dortmund.

So Uli either has to convince Hopp of letting Nagelsmann go or we'll see a very weird out of nowhere solution that no one is thinking of. Maybe some ex-player like Alonso or van Bommel, really no idea.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Soeren Lerby :p

4. Raz

Raz Member

WTF... Liverpool up 3-0 vs. City. Another Pep Exit?

Jontro likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

U never win alone.

Jontro likes this.
  6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Still at work, is it a typical Pep game where the opponent kills them with counters?
    Immediately after seeing the draw thought that Klopp would be the perfect coach to play vs Pep.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Best CL draw eveeeeer.

8. Raz

Raz Member

First goal was kind of a counter, but the defense actually had it cleared, then lost the ball again. Second goal was a nice shot from distance. Third goal a cross to header with bad positioning by the defenders. So no, not Pep's fault in the familiar way this time.

AroundTheWorld and Yung-T like this.
  9. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Lets be honest here, Liverpool had a lot of bounces go their way for the scoreline. Having said that, credit to Liverpool for disrupting City, they are playing the passing lanes, pressing, and playing counter attack very well. Did Pep not see this coming, the team seems to be trying to play the same way to something that is designed to disrubt their system?

10. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

Kompany needs to retire and Sterling should have started in place of Gundogan. City needs to buy a half decent center back next year. The Stones project is not going so well.

11. Raz

Raz Member

Final score 3-0. No away goal for City, that will make it real tough in the 2nd leg, but I don't think it's over yet. Would highly appreciate a new Klopp vs. Heynckes though.

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Did Salah get injured? Subbed out early

Jontro likes this.
  13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Klopp knows Pep will stupidly stick to his tactics and he will gladly continue to exploit them.

Pep is a stubborn fool sometimes.

Jontro, Yung-T and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Mistake by Pep to play Otamendi and Kompany today, would have preferred a Stones and Laporte pairing. Even if they made a mistake or two that would have been fine. I just think that sustained pressure can be avoided with great passing from the back. Also, City ain't coming back from this, they are out. Too bad because I think they would have taken on any other team left in the tournament.

ramotadab likes this.
  15. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Yeah, I mean they threw the exact same strategy at them last time....how do you not have any counter to that?! Problem is he's not going to change anything in the second game either.....also why did Sterling not start?....strange choice there as well. They kept going to Sane who was having a terrible game.

ramotadab likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Can't say I feel sorry for Pep. But I think City may still turn this one around.

Raz likes this.
  17. Raz

Raz Member

He was holding his groin, so maybe something like a hamstring injury.

JumpMan likes this.
  18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I didn't get to watch the games yesterday. I want to go back and see Liverpool destroy City. I hope for nothing but bad things, professionally, to happen to Guardiola. The only bigger schmuck in the world of professional football coaching than Morihno is Pep Guardiola.

AroundTheWorld and Jontro like this.
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

i hope it's nothing serious. bad timing as lfc are fighting for that 4th spot in the epl too. salah is a real revelation, he made us forget we ever had the b*stard coutinho. barca bought the wrong breh.

also very classless of lfc fans for bring a pos towards the mancity fans. shame on them.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Salah is singlehandedly keeping me from epl fantasy suicide, should join Bayern.

Jontro likes this.