1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Super Spring Training NBA Fantasy Draft Brehs

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by LCAhmed, Feb 26, 2015.

?

What type of draft is this going to be?

1. Current

7.1%
  2. All-Time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1980-1989 era

7.1%
  4. 1990-1999 era

14.3%
  5. 2000-2010 era

50.0%
  6. All time International Players who played in the NBA only

7.1%
  7. Other

14.3%
  1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

ROUND 3. FIGHT!

Matchups:

*****Matchup 1

FTW

G - Gary "the Glove" Payton
    G - Rip Hamilton
    F - Bruce Bowen
    F - Tim "The Big Fundamental" Duncan
    C - Chris Bosh

Bench
    G - Andre "the Professor" Miller
    G - Jason Richardson
    F - Josh Howard
    F - Al Harrington
    C - Mehmet Okur

VS

Spooner

PG - Deron Williams/Derrick Rose
    SG - Dwayne Wade/Raja Bell
    SF - Danny Granger/Stephen Jackson
    PF - Chris Webber/Al Jefferson
    C - Marc Gasol/Emeka Okafor

*****Matchup 2

Jamers

PG - Rajon Rondo
    SG - Reggie Miller
    SF - Peja Stojakovic
    PF - Pau Gasol
    C - Shaquille O'Neal

Bench:
    G - Monta Ellis
    G - Michael Finley
    F - Loul Deng
    F - Kevin Love
    C - Chris Kaman

VS

LCAhmed

PG:Baron Davis
    SG: Kobe Bryant
    SF: Gerald Wallace
    PF:Elton Brand
    C:Jermaine O'Neal

Bench:

PG: Jason Williams
    SG: Jerry Stackhouse
    SF: Caron Butler
    PF: Kenyon Martin
    C:Jamaal Magloire

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Wow thanks thething i was about to withdraw so we can continue (apooner is obviously way more invested). Congrats and good win spoon.

Ill take ftw. Id like to see a true center but im perfectly fine with the double 4/5 type players philosophy. Ive built teams this way and think together the spacing they provide should be very nice. Even more so you have in my opinion the best option to throw at wade in bowen. If not for bowen id likely give this matchup to spooner.

Ftw wins 4-3

For the first time someone can atleast matchup and hold their own against pau/shaq. Don't get me wrong they still get beat but it makes it respectable. And as much as i seriously despise and hate the guy kobe was a fuuckin beast. And there is no real threat to stop him. While i honestly think jamers has more talent i think lca pulls out an upset.

Lca wins 4-3

1 person likes this.
  3. LCAhmed

FC:FTW
    BC:Spooner
    BENCH:Spooner
    OFF:Spooner
    DEF:FTW
    winner: Spooner

4. Spooner

Spooner Member

LCA. Can at least match up defensively with Jamers front court. No one on Jamer's team can stop Kobe. Caron butler would come up big in this matchup off the ball IMO. I really like Jamers' team but not the best matchup for him at this juncture.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I'll start with the tasty matchup. Kobe vs. Shaq and Pau. Reggie Miller vs. one of the ****ing dumbasses who cost Reggie a title (Jermaine).

I'm not sure which team is more talented, they are about even. I think Jamers has much better frontline (I'd draft both Shaq and Pau ahead of Jermaine and Elton Brand, tbh, and Stojakovic is much better than Gerald Wallace). LCAhmed has Kobe vs. 2000s Reggie or Mike Finley, a massive advantage and very favorable matchup for him. I might start Mike Finley here if I was Jamers, he was a solid defender, but either way Kobe has a huge advantage. The bench looks about even.

LCAhmed has a very dynamic, very athletic, very strong defensively team. It's bound to chuck a bit on offense, it will take a ton of 3s and long 2s, but it's not a great 3pt shooting team.

Jamers has an unstoppable force in the middle and two of the best shooters ever. Rondo at his peak. Prime Pau. It's the better built offensive team. The main weakness is wing defense.

Defending Kobe is a major problem. So is defending Shaq. I don't believe Jermaine can do much defensively against prime Shaq, he's just too light. The better option IMO would be to use Elton Brand with his lower center of gravity and try to keep Shaq from taking position, and then use Jermaine with his long arms and Gerald Wallace for help defense on Shaq when Shaq gets the ball. It's kind of like what the Blazers tried to do against Shaq, put a strong guy in front of Shaq and then send in Rasheed Wallace and Pippen to crowd him whenever he gets the ball. But it still doesn't always work. And on this team, it's really hard to crowd Shaq with Jermaine and Gerald Wallace, because then who defends Pau and Stojakovic.

Passing game between Shaq and Pau will be amazing, and there are two of the best shooters of all time waiting for a pass outside.

It's a tough and great matchup, worthy of the finals in this draft IMO. Kobe has fantastic series here. But ultimately, I think Jamers' offense is built better, and I'm not convinced that it can be slowed down significantly here.

I'm picking Jamers to win in a close series. 4-3.

I'll vote on FTW - Spooner later.

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

BREHHHHHHS DWIGHTS ABOUT TO BE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I've been watching an old game tonight, I get to the end of the 1st quarter, and there's John Havlicek with some child, promoting a basketball program for "mentally r****ded youngsters." A really warm commercial, Havlicek's speaking in a sensitive voice.

Apparently, "mentally r****ded" was not only considered politically correct back then, but they actually came up with that expression "mentally r****ded" on purpose because previous expressions weren't politically correct.

It's interesting how these things change.

8. LCAhmed

Special needs*

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I guess it's time to vote, before I'm off for weekend again. I looked at this matchup a few times, but it's very close, hard to decide.

Talent wise, it looks close. Stars, Tim Duncan, Chris Bosh and Gary Payton vs. Wade, Webber and DWill. Duncan is the best player here, but Wade and Webber second and third. Bench and role players are more or less a wash, I guess FTW bench is slightly more stronger. Overall, if I had to choose, I'd say Spooner has slight talent edge, but it's too close to matter.

Matchups look favorable to FTW, he has a great wing defender to put on Wade. He has a great paint defender in Duncan. And offensively, I think Spooner will have a very hard time defending Duncan / Bosh combo.

But I think FTW spacing is a bit concerning. FTW starting lineup looks kind of like an old school mid range / post team. Duncan, Raptors' Bosh, Payton, Rip Hamilton, all want to score in the post or at midrange. They'll be drawing defenders into the same areas and stepping on each other's toes. Bowen will be the only player who will consistently draw a defender out to the 3pt area. I think it's not an ideal way to play under today's rules. In a way, FTW's team helps Spooner defend them.

But ultimately, FTW has the best player, more proven winners, much better defense and favorable matchups. He also has Jason Richardson and Mehmet Okur on the bench. I like them less than Rip Hamilton and Bosh, but they could help spacing. I guess I'd stagger Rip's and / or Bosh's minutes on this team, have them play a big part of their minutes with the bench, and let Richardson and Okur play the bulk of their minutes next to Duncan and Payton.

So I think it's a close series. But I'll give Game 3 to FTW.

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

FTW vs. Spooner 2:1
    Jamers vs. LCAhmed 1:2

11. LCAhmed

It's a 14 player draft, and we have 3 votes give or take.... this is pathetic. This is what makes me not want to do drafts anymore.

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Ralph Sampson's development was r****ded. According to TV crew from a 1985 game.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Young Hakeem was such a dirty player.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I want a 1980s or 1970s draft next time.

15. LCAhmed

Nobody old enough to have actually watched those 70s games I bet. Nor did anyone really put in any time to really know how they played. It's gonna get real stale after the 3rd round in a 70s draft. 80s not bad though

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yep, I guess as far as role players, a 1970s draft would get hard after a few rounds.

Maybe a 1970s round or 2 rounds + current players in other rounds would work better.

In general, I don't think that having to do research is a negative. I think it's one of the fun aspects of these drafts, and it's also why I'm really bored of current drafts at this point. Current drafts were fun for a while because there were some role players on the Bobcats or what not that I didn't pay attention to. Those drafts would be an excuse for me to watch one of those crappy teams and focus on that role player. Fun for a while. But at this point it's just mostly the same list, slightly different order.

To be honest, I don't think most people really know much about 2005 players, much less 1970s. Even if people watched many games in 2005, they forget things. But that's the fun part. There are no Phil Jacksons here, just people who like basketball. And looking back, checking out and discussing those players is fun (well, except when drama starts...).

But yep, 1970s role players might be asking too much. A couple rounds of 1970s stars should be enough.

17. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

But anyway, what the heck, vote, people.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Will vote tomorrow, brehs. Agree with Donuts, current drafts are boring and I also find researching the old players to be the most fun part.

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'll take LCA. While prime Brand and O'Neal may contain Pau and Shaq reasonably, there is no way Miller or Peja can stop prime Kobe and here ultimately lies LCA's biggest advantage. Jamers has no defender to throw at a prime Kobe.

It's a very close matcup primarily because of Jamers front court advantage but I have to give LCA the edge come game 7.

PS: 14 people started off the draft and very few voting

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

FTW (maybe not better talent, but great individual matchups for him)
    Jamers (extremely well-rounded team)